Psx Running On The Gp2x

i sure hope that 3d emulation kicks off for the gp2x... finally seeing the light in regards to my #1 fantasy: playing metal gear solid on a handheld.

(and no, acid doesn't count)

Rayek posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:37 AM said:
i sure hope that 3d emulation kicks off for the gp2x... finally seeing the light in regards to my #1 fantasy: playing metal gear solid on a handheld.

(and no, acid doesn't count)

Aaaahh that would be soooo great :)
just like the gta series

Last edited by a moderator:
gta allready works, ok kind of ;)
hope zodttd releases a new version soon, cant wait :)
btw GREAT WORK!!

Hi again,

I've updated GP2PSX to version 0.09. It's a fairly good update though, considering I've added a file menu of sorts, and a faster blitter.

Not to mention...Framerate indicator as well as frameskip options! Yay!

But wait...drumroll...there's MORE! That framerate indicator will now read 60 FPS on some titles!

********* GP2PSX RUNS SOME GAMES AT 45-60 FPS WITH ONLY 1 to 3 FRAMESKIP******

BUSTER BROS COLLECTION was the first game I tested to run at 50+ (yes PLUS!) frames per second smoothly in gameplay. This is with frameskip at 1 or 3 depending. Not too shabby eh? ;P

I'm testing Final Fantasy Tactics now and there was some graphical issues with the intro screen. Those will be sorted out soon.

Suikoden 1 works now too! I had to slow down the emulator to get compatbility up, and this is one of the newly working games. Otherwise Buster Bros would run at 60 FPS. :/ Also, keep in mind the faster your SD card is, the quicker the ISO buffer will fill, the faster the game will play. I test GP2PSX on a 66X SD card. There's a 150X card I have my eye on. :)

There's plenty of bugs to be fixed, as compatibility is still low. But it's catching up.

I ask that someone once again starts a compatibility thread for GP2PSX like what was done for the Zodiac version. Hopefully this time we'll see some working playable games pop up! I'm going to go back to the Zodiac version eventually and fix the bug that was slowing down the emu so much and see if it gets the Zodiac a working PSX emu. If so maybe even hydro thunder will work (nerys!).

So to go into more detail:
1. File Menu - It's a little corny looking but it works. When GP2PSX loads, you will see a file menu to choose your game. It will only load .Z, .ZNX, and .BIN files. There's a small bug in it currently that makes it list the .table files without the .table extension. The .table file is always the second file of that name. Anyways, press the X button to choose your game. :)
2. Games run MUCH FASTER due to a bug I've been trying to track down now for ages. It caused the emu to go into a loop doing nothing constantly. This is why the emu went fast but seemed to only show a frame each second. :p
3. Better support for games - More games are starting to work, or at least begin to.
4. Framerate/Frameskip - Use the volume up/down to change the frameskip. Framerate will appear at the top left of the screen as well. Hope this helps. ;P
5. A faster screen blit / screen stretch - It seems some games I like to play use some of the odder of screen widths the PSX supports, so I kept the stretch function, but made a check to not use it if the screen fits the GP2X, duh. :)

Grab GP2PSX at: http://www.friggingames.com/gp2psx09.zip

Btw, I'll see what I can do to get the logo put into the emu. It didn't make it into this build. :/

Next to come:
- HLE for faster emulation and no need for a BIOS
- Better compatibility
- Faster GPU core.

There's still room for improvement, but I think this release will show you a good game or two to play, fullspeed. So things are looking up for the GP2X. ;)

Rayek posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:37 AM said:
The Game Boy Color version of Metal Gear Solid got better reviews than the PS counterpart.

The GBC version got a 9.7 average score out of 23 gaming sites.
The PSX version got a 9.4 average score out of 59 gaming sites.

To put it into concept, the highest average score I have ever seen is Zelda: Ocarina of time with a 9.8 average score. In a graphically focused gaming industry the GBC version of Metal Gear is still considered to be the best game of the series, you should definately give it a shot.

Check http://www.gamespot.com/gbc/adventure/metalgearsolid/ for a review from Gamespot.

Last edited by a moderator:
????-! ... -! wow, lolol, how the hell is this possible :) not only that but it's making me look forward to all the other advancements to come in other areas- if you can get psx games running playable, even only selected ones, it fairs pretty well for everything under that -at least given enough time with them.
I can't wait to save enough for one of these after christmas..
well done zodttd and thanks to everyone involved in gp2x progs. It inspires me, wish I could join in

We need a guide on how to create image files from your orginal Playstation CDs. Does anybody have the PS version of Diablo? I wonder how it runs.

What percentage of original frames are shown? as in, are those figures with frameskip taken into account? Either way, that is shocking speed.

Ok, so how do I go about tearing music and movies out of an ISO image? A quick google doesn't seem to find much except utils to let me watch/listen to them on my PC, so any advice from someone who already has would be MUCH appreciated.

I've been convinced I need to try this thing out, but seeing as my smallest game is currently 462mb, I'm gonna need to tear out some bitsies first lol (I've only got a 256mb card).

OK, looks like PocketISO will do the trick lol... idiot me :)

It does take into account frames skipped. There's alot of discussion and how-to's on ripping PSX games, as well as pocket ISO at www.fpsece.net

My favorite tool for ripping bin files is xduplicator which is freeware. Just take that bin and use pocketiso 2.0 on it.

Pocketiso makes compressed .z files compatible with gp2psx. It also rips out audio and video.

just about to try out gradius gaiden and silhouette mirage

brilliant work zodttd! Just hope that you continue to work on the gp2x version of the emu as well as the zodiac version.

ok - gradius gaiden runs without crashing, no glitches in the graphics whatsoever (throughout first level) , but it does not allow you to pick up power ups as the vic viper just runs through them. FS0 = 12fps FS1 = 18fps.

Back