Psx Running On The Gp2x

apparently you just rename it to .bin

not sure though, haven't got anything to work yet (tried Vagrant story and Ghost in the Shell with no luck)

next game I'll try is megaman legends

nickspoon posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:35 PM said:
zodttd said:
they're fun for me and I hope for you guys as well

Read it, DaveC. Just a bit of fun. Now stop being negative!
Not trying to take sides here, but after Zodttd says he respects DaveC's opinion and doesn't want to turn the thread into a flamewar, do you really need to quote him and antagonise DaveC further?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil posted on Dec 3 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
Mr. Anderson posted on Dec 3 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
However... Frameskip can't solve every speed problems and I fear there is more up to it than a high frameskip to get ps1 games running in realtime :/

Well just give it time, the gp2x isn't even out yet(officially) and there is allready a ps1 emulator!
It might make it a bit more playable though.

A bit for sure, yes but I don't think the framerate would go up for more than one digit, even with FS10...

Ferentix posted on Dec 3 2005 at 11:37 PM said:
What about .img files? I'm able to mount an img file as a "CD" using Daemon Tools, but is it in a format you can just change its extension to .bin for use under this?

AFAIK, yes, you can rename it to .bin and it will run

I got Tekken3 to go through the menu and all the way to the loading screen for the level. It won't go any farther though.

I made an uncompressed mode2xa game4.bin with the .xas file replaced by blank.xa renamed.

I believe a 30 FPS emulator, 2D is quite possible on one core with HAND OPTIMIZED ASSEMBLY. (however some games will probably never run at fullspeed, ect...)

atm this is probably UNOPTIMIZED GCC (bah, C/C++ good assembley does not make!)
everything in software (scaling, oy that is silly! :) I suppose the hw is not that well understood yet, thank goodness it is documented)

So there is about a 1/8 speed grade, (as in the code is running at about 12.5% potential, my guess is.)

Throw the 2nd core in with a hand coded 3D system...

About 20FPS should be possible with years of optimization.

Playable yes, for some games but not all. It will be very difficult due to the MMSP2's design to get the 2nd core doing something useful.

This is impressive the ammount and number of emus out already.
Imagine it with a year of solid development.

It should not be long before we have '1337' ammounts of software for this system. ;)

I will laugh at people when there are exactly one thousand three hundred and thirty seven pieces of software for download for the GP2X.

duelcore....that ain't gonna happen from what i've been reading in other topics! Unless you've got some amazing plan up your arm....i guess you could make use of it for playing short divx movies to entertain the user inbetween frames when the emulator runs slow ;)

mattyrb posted on Dec 4 2005 at 11:40 AM said:
duelcore....that ain't gonna happen from what i've been reading in other topics! Unless you've got some amazing plan up your arm....i guess you could make use of it for playing short divx movies to entertain the user inbetween frames when the emulator runs slow ;)

Don't beleive everything you read on the www. :) Or atleast a wise man once said that in this forum. :p

I'm sure we'll find some way eventually. That 2D accelerator on the 2nd CPU is just waiting to be used. Even if the 2nd CPU was just rendering, it would save quite a bit of work.

I hope when Reesy releases his Genesis Emu itll be at a good speed :p

So far I havent heard anything about it though but meh.

SolidSnake posted on Dec 4 2005 at 12:19 AM said:
:eek:

what comes next? Fm Radio? Dvd Burning??
Hahaha.

Seriously, the GP2X is progressing faster and further than any of us expected. :ph34r:

Man, I can't wait to see what sort of quality this reaches after HH, optimization, and maybe use of the 2nd CPU.

Would 10 - 15 FPS be realistic? Not that it would exactly replace my PSOne, but that would be incredible.

SolidSnake posted on Dec 3 2005 at 10:19 PM said:
:eek:

what comes next? Fm Radio? Dvd Burning??

It could ;)

But you left out TV tuner and wifi :D

Abigsmurf,

I had to wait a long time for my green screen to turn black on a "good" Iso,

I tested my game1.bin in ePSXe, if it doesn't work there it probably won't work on the GP2X. I also can't remember if any of my compressed ones actually loaded.

Once I ripped out the sound and movies it wasn't that big anyway ~80MB

Back