Ps1 On The Gp32? What Could Come Of This?

extremegamer posted on Oct 19 2004 at 03:24 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 18 2004 at 03:25 PM said:
I wouldn't say it's a fake - I just would say it would not run fast enough.
Basically, everything which has lower memory as th GP32 could be emulated... it may run at 0.1 fps, but it may run.

I guess, some little games (without 3D or complex code) could run with about 3-8 fps on the GP32.

Not useable to play anything, but still very interesting and cool :)

Ok so its cool to have something completely useless taking up smc space that you will just have to delete anyhow. And even if we get a release, nothing will be playable, so why not develope an emulator for any system that has a start up menu, hey it would be cool to have the PS2 boot up on my GP32, why not make a program that just looks like the PS2 boot up system? It would be a cool looking firmware at least. Thats all this will amount to. I can't believe the guy that is coding this is even wasting his time on something that will not amount to anything playable.

As for ps1 homebrewn, i would rather see GBA homebrewn run on the gp32.

To say its either impossible, fake, or pointless, is completely missing the point.

Coders code for a challenge. Some also code for the glory. But essentially it boils down to personal enjoyment unless money is involved. Sometimes nothing good comes out at the end of it, and sometimes nothing good can be seen by people who are only interested in playing the games not in the achievement of getting them to run in the first place. Occasionally something good does arrive.

The fact is, it WOULD be cool to see the PS2 bios loading on a GP32 - not that I ever expect it to. Who cares if its playable or not? Did you BUY the GP32 to play PSX or PS2 games on? If so you were woefully misled somewhere along the way! sometimes its just fun to see just how far you can push the system. And maybe get somewhere along the way.

After all, remember OS9xgp? Well, most people these days have absolute faith that that will run games full speed wth sound eventually. But... let me take you back just over 2 years...

The scene is buzzing over the news that's got out. Someone - a guy called Intellecto - is claiming to have made a SNES emu. And no-one's sure what to think. Some say its impossible on the hardware available. Some say there's no way it'll be playable. Some probably say its pointless (although that's dubious at that stage since there was a larger coder-to-gamer ration, I think, so more would have sympathised with the code-for-fun ethos that we all should). And some say it'll hearald the new era of GP32-gaming.

The snes emu comes out - Snes9xGP 0.1. And - frankly - its slow. Slow as a dead turtle, more or less. But it exists and its real. And everyone rejoices that it's happened, and has potential, and then, because there's not much point in an emu that you can't play on, deletes it. But they remember it. And then when 0.2 and later 0.32 come out, they try again. And so on and so forth up until Yoyo decides to take the plunge and write another port largely using ASM with OS9xGP. Now we have pretty good SNES emulation.

The point being that when a system gets pushed there are always naysayers. And then it happens. And sometimes - in the fullness of time - it happens properly. And it actually becomes fun to play. I doubt it'll be so with PSX but if LDChen doesn't try, then it DEFINITELY won't!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Tobriand! :)

Man! Some people bitch!!!

If you dont want to use it, dont put it on your SMC!!!!

Simple as that! Nobody's forcing you! Not many people have thought about the fact that the groundwork could be being done here for what cvould be the first good emulator on the GP32's possible successor!

I maen, if the code was working on a GP32, I'd imagine it wouldn't take much to tweak it to run like a beast on whatever Gamepark have up there sleeves next.

Quit bitchin' and leave people to enjoy the possibility.

If this type of method is being used to emulate a CD based machine then i wonder how well a NeoGeo CD emulator would work out, considering it is of lower specced than a PS1 and would run faster to a degree. Owning a NeoGeo AES (such as myself) is a really good experience. I would love to see this baby run on a Gp32! :)

Ah-ha! Another neo-geo.com'er! Yeah, a NGCD emulator would be fantastic and probably a whole lot more realistic than PS1. But we'll probably have to wait for the GP64 for any of this to become a reality :(

all this pessismism ;) only on a gp32 board.

is it due the long years of abuse from gamepark? idont know but everytime something is announced it is immediatly followed by people shitting on it.

OmarNawaz posted on Oct 20 2004 at 02:31 PM said:
all this pessismism ;) only on a gp32 board.

is it due the long years of abuse from gamepark? idont know but everytime something is announced it is immediatly followed by people shitting on it.

We're not shitting on it, we're just being realistic. A PS1 emulator would be fantastic but you can't expect much from a console that struggles with the SNES.

I'm not bitching, i'm living in reality. The reality is PS1 will never be emulatable properly or remotely properly on the GP32. Everybody knows this but everybody doesn't want to believe it. I want to see something that has no 3d hardware run something like the first tekken.

Someone once told me, on this board, a while back when I first got my GP32, now over a year old, that in order for the GP32 to run an emulator properly it should be 3x as powerful as the original machine.

Here is specs for the ps1

CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)
RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM
Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading
Colors: 16.7 million
Sprites: 4,000
Polygons: 360,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480
Sound: 16-bit 24 channel PCM

I want to see the GP32 handle that kind of 3d performance. No chance. And there's no point in getting excited about something thats not going to happen. So until something comes out from this. i'm entitled to my opinion in saying that nothing will come of this.

Mmmmm, But a pocketpc with NO 3d hardware (Only a frame buffer), A 400mhz arm processor and wm2003 dragging it`s heels can turn a good speed at ps1 emulation. Even 200mhz versions of said machine don`t do too bad either.

Don`t knock it till you`ve tried it. ;)

Trooper

extremegamer, i'm sure everyone here understands that it's not gonna run FFIX like a charm, or any other commercial game for that matter.

HOWEVER

that doesn't make you less of a prick.

trooper posted on Oct 20 2004 at 05:26 PM said:
Mmmmm, But a pocketpc with NO 3d hardware (Only a frame buffer), A 400mhz arm processor and wm2003 dragging it`s heels can turn a good speed at ps1 emulation. Even 200mhz versions of said machine don`t do too bad either.

Don`t knock it till you`ve tried it. ;)

Trooper

exactly lets say a volt mod and ram upgrade later it might be playable ridge racer and alot of early games worked for me on a 200mhz ppc oced to 224mhz it wasn't perfect because alot of background software was running.

8mb ram is too little i reckon because i needed to 16mb to run, if it does get released there would alot of dead gp32's out there killed by their owners. :lol:

Extremegamer: We all know it isn't going to be a playable emulator, but it is a cool tech demo. Youre just being an ass, and showing it.

perhaps we dont need that much ram(not rum ;) ).. remeber the PPC has a os running in the background and the gp32 nothing

Sonic-NKT posted on Oct 20 2004 at 11:47 PM said:
perhaps we dont need that much rum.. remeber the PPC has a os running in the background and the gp32 nothing

I think many here have had too much "rum" if you think anything playable will come of this. :D

Comparing SNES emulation to PSX is a bit of a stretch too. The GP32 struggles with the 4Mhz SNES, how the hell does anyone think this PSX "emu" will be anything useful? I am not saying it shouldn't be done, if the coder wants to waste his time that is up to him.

extremegamer posted on Oct 20 2004 at 04:26 PM said:
I'm not bitching, i'm living in reality.  The reality is PS1 will never be emulatable properly or remotely properly on the GP32.  Everybody knows this but everybody doesn't want to believe it.  I want to see something that has no 3d hardware run something like the first tekken.

Someone once told me, on this board, a while back when I first got my GP32, now over a year old, that in order for the GP32 to run an emulator properly it should be 3x as powerful as the original machine.

Here is specs for the ps1

CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)
RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM
Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading
Colors: 16.7 million
Sprites: 4,000
Polygons: 360,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480
Sound: 16-bit 24 channel PCM

I want to see the GP32 handle that kind of 3d performance.  No chance.  And there's no point in getting excited about something thats not going to happen.  So until something comes out from this. i'm entitled to my opinion in saying that nothing will come of this.

Most games on the PSX run at 320 x 240 (like 99.9%) not 640 x 480 though. I think only a couple ran at 640 x 480.

how can anyone complain about this
this just completely boggles my mind
any new software for the gp32 should make a people happy
how can you be so, i don't know, like that

anyone who discurages developers from writing software should be shot, burned, and shot again

and think
what if something really really amazingly good came out of this
you haven't even seen the emulator run

LDChen you have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears!
you rule

DaveC posted on Oct 21 2004 at 01:03 AM said:
Comparing SNES emulation to PSX is a bit of a stretch too. The GP32 struggles with the 4Mhz SNES, how the hell does anyone think this PSX "emu" will be anything useful? I am not saying it shouldn't be done, if the coder wants to waste his time that is up to him.

Why is he wasting his time? Just because it might not be playable doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort.

A - he might be able to learn something from this experience and perhaps pass that on to other coders for the benefit of all.
B - if the GP64 is backwards compatable (I hope!) then maybe some of this work could be put towards a playable PS1 emu on that platform.

there are quite a few post in this thread that keep referencing the GP64 or GP32 2, and it isn't even official that a new system will be released. And there's probably a good chance that it won't be released. So you can't even really say that this "project" would be good for the GP32 2 or the GP64 until its confirmed that there actually is going to be a GP64 released.

As for me being an ass and a prick. Yes I am i will admit it, people in my life tell me that everyday, but I don't care. I will continue to believe this is either fake or a complete waste of time until I see something. All i am doing is agreeing with everybody else on the board that this "project" is far fetched and a waste of time since the GP32 has problems even emulating SNES. But yet i'm the only one getting flamed for my comments. Thats fine. Its just a message board doesn't bother me, none of you know me and I don't know any of you. All i'm saying is i'm not getting excited over this. When I show off my GamePark i will not be mentioning anything about PS1 emulation. This whole topic is just false hopes.
BUT...
on another note. If this does come to light. The SMC acts as the hardware of the PS1 and the CD right?? So does the so called 4mb rom size limit going to affect this?

extremegamer posted on Oct 21 2004 at 10:44 AM said:
All i am doing is agreeing with everybody else on the board that this "project" is far fetched and a waste of time since the GP32 has problems even emulating SNES. But yet i'm the only one getting flamed for my comments.

No, everybody else doesn't think this is a waste of time. Far fetched? Maybe. Waste of time? No. There's a big difference.

Back