Fpse For Gp32!

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
I was browsing through the zodiacgamer message boards when i came across a post announcing the fpse was coming to the zodiac, i clicked on the link:

http://www.pdai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1091&st=75

and scrolled down to his (LDChen) post.
crucially he says:

"Now a new GPU and a working SPU are on top of my list, with the completation of the new core.

Thanks to my new FPSE versions (GP32 and PalmOS) I'm advancing slowly.
But don't worry: I'm sure that the future will be great in this community."

He then goes on to justify his claim saying:

"I have 2 main reasons:

1) Since I don't have a PocketPC, GP32 allows me to test ARM code directly.
It has some limits like low memory and 128MB max in the cards, but for what I need it's enought."

big news!

this ought to be interesting...... i was thinking about selling my GP32FLU, i think i'll keep it now :)

does he know the urul of gp32x?

FPSE is PSX emu???
And If I'm correct he will be using dynamic compilation (emulation)...
That is exactly why an old Amiga... say 68030 50 Mhz could emulate a I386 processor at 20-25 Mhz... with this he could "emulate" the processor att full speed (RISC processor at 33 Mhz was it?) but the tradeoff is speed at first start of things... and memory... I think...
Cool... this way a I386 "emu" or anything that equals say 133 Mhz ARM could be done... but PSX had som 3D chips although very outdated...
So this must be very hard to have a fullspeed emu (because of the GFX capabilities of the PSX)...

Very interesting though!

PSX 2MB of RAM ---> GP32 8MB of RAM

But this is NOT enough anyway: such an emulator is supposed to load the whole game in memory, and only a few games are small enough to fit in (Ridge Racer ^_^ ... that would be amazing).

Let's wait for GP64!

AlexW posted on Mar 9 2004 at 11:44 AM said:
FPSE is PSX emu???
And If I'm correct he will be using dynamic compilation (emulation)...
That is exactly why an old Amiga... say 68030 50 Mhz could emulate a I386 processor at 20-25 Mhz... with this he could "emulate" the processor att full speed (RISC processor at 33 Mhz was it?) but the tradeoff is speed at first start of things... and memory... I think...
Cool... this way a I386 "emu" or anything that equals say 133 Mhz ARM could be done... but PSX had som 3D chips although very outdated...
So this must be very hard to have a fullspeed emu (because of the GFX capabilities of the PSX)...

Very interesting though!
Lets remember this guy is an expert ARM coder. His pocketPC PSX emulator runs a lot of stuff near to full speed (well, 2D stuff anyway) and he is looking at a 1.5 to 2x increase on the next version. I don't think he would bother with the GP32 if he didn't think he could get good speed on at least some titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
for psx emulation on handheld i would buy a pocket pc or wait for gametrac (400mhz arm9 proc.) :)
im pretty sure there never will be psx emulation on gp, except maybe emulating a few demos at 0.1 fps ;)

www.gametrac.com
no one knows this, but imo it will rock once its there.
kicks zodiac easily. only the small display actually is shit.

Search for it - its from a British company and could blow GP32 out of the water..

Only doubt I have is its relatively small screen... (only 2.5")....

Even if they got PSX upto 60 FPS on the GP32, seriously people how many good games are there for PSX under 128 MB? Honestly I cant think of any.

And Gametrac would be awesome if it wasnt for the tiny screen and stupid trigger buttons. I purchased Gp32 because of the larger screen, and didnt choose zodiac because of the stupid button layout. GP has the best of all of those worlds, a standard size screen (standard for most any console system), nice button layout, etc..., now if only they would make a faster CPU version with 2 more buttons...

GiG posted on Mar 9 2004 at 12:13 PM said:
such an emulator is supposed to load the whole game in memory, and only a few games are small enough to fit in (Ridge Racer ^_^ ... that would be amazing).
Not necessarily the case for this platform. PSX software is designed to be loaded from a medium into RAM for execution as and when needed.

Emulators for platforms such as the Neo Geo require the whole game to be loaded in to RAM because the original game is designed to run from a cartridge, ie. memory. It is not designed to load up the bits and pieces as required, it is expecting everything to be "there", and in a certain place in a memory map. It would be more likely that a PSX could be emulated, at least in so far as loading a game from an SMC, as the PSX is expecting to have to do this anyway.

Of course, you'd still have to cram the entire emulator and all it's hardware layers into 6MB. I think the 3D hardware would probably prove quite a stumbling block. I know there are a few 2D games for it, but the 2D games are often pseudo 2D rendered in 3D anyway.

Loonie posted on Mar 9 2004 at 02:24 PM said:
Not necessarily the case for this platform. PSX software is designed to be loaded from a medium into RAM for execution as and when needed.
I know there are a few 2D games for it, but the 2D games are often pseudo 2D rendered in 3D anyway.
Yeah, the CD rom on the PS1 was only 320k/s we will have to slow SMC acess down to match it :)

As for your second point- I think your right, you might get a couple of early 3D games to work, but I reckon it will be mainly 2D.

As for fitting it into 6MB...PS1 had 2,5MB of ram +512k rom...would be a tight squeeze I reckon! but doable, if EMU executable is not to big (and if he doesn't need ram for JIT)

But, on the other hand, this is a guy who already has a full speed PS1 emu running on a similar architecture (albeit faster machines) -and with the speedups he has promised PPC owners, i'm fairly sure we will get something decent.

Lack of buttons could cause problems-didn't the original (non analogue) controller have 4 face and 4 shoulder buttons? Granted you could do the snes remap method, but playing most action games would be problematic to say the least. Also many later PS1 titles ran in resolutions higher than 320x240, so I guess some sort of scaling would be needed.

how bout we try and find the file so we can try!
anyone contacted this guy yet? we need this, this would help the community
maybe we can see if he would do sumtin for our not yet on the drawing board emu coding comp!
That would definatley win first if it worked!

~Octavious

edit
for controllers. i think mashmods is offerin to hook a psx controller to your gp32 for a little money

Good plan, i'm going to nip over to the zodiac forums and stick my nose in :)
Wouldn't that be good? your sitting next to some GBA user who's smirking at your GP (chances are he doesn't even know what one is, this has happened to me several times)...and you pull out a PS1 pad!

Back