Prototype Production Run

Glad the layout incorporated all the accentuation like ^ ~ ` ´ and ç, it's a must for me and was afraid it would be ruled out to a more anglo-saxonic visual input :) .

Well, the difference is the improved tactile feedback and the silver reflective layer below the black one... from the top, they look completely the same :)

I know. ^^ It looks fine, the plastic caps may look a little bit cheap but it's a prototype of course.

I would really know how these buttons feel, especialy the D-Pad. 

Glad the layout incorporated all the accentuation like ^ ~ ` ´ and ç, it's a must for me and was afraid it would be ruled out to a more anglo-saxonic visual input :) .

Glad to hear you like it.  Not to re-run the keyboard threads, but the collaborative efforts tried very hard to ensure that the greatest number of potential customers possible would have it be easy to use in their respective languages while keeping English unencumbered by those provisions.  Many of us were convinced both were possible and I think that the results reflect those intentions.

I know. ^^ It looks fine, the plastic caps may look a little bit cheap but it's a prototype of course.

I was just admiring the keys, and trying to work out what it was about their labelling that I liked.  I think it's the font, combined with the off-centre layout of the most visible label, and the way it fits within the white border created by the plastic cap so well.

I'm sure it'll look different when put into an alt-coloured case, but hopefully those design features will survive for me at least.

I would really know how these buttons feel, especialy the D-Pad. 

I suspect that if ED decided to put the 'failures' into his store, they would sell as mementos of the creation process.  I.e. key mat test prints, case test prints, system boards with errors, etc...  What may be 'junk' to the project itself may be a 'treasure' to those watching/waiting.

I suspect that if ED decided to put the 'failures' into his store, they would sell as mementos of the creation process.  I.e. key mat test prints, case test prints, system boards with errors, etc...  What may be 'junk' to the project itself may be a 'treasure' to those watching/waiting.

Heh. It's especially nice to see how the PCBs have evolved :)

Updated the initial post if this thread :)

So - any ideas of when you'll be going to Greece?  I.e., is this days, weeks or a month or more out?

I am looking forward to seeing a video of the first fully enclosed working unit without any tethers - even if it's the prototype boards in the 3D printed case from the product shows.

And there are 8 prototype boards. 24/8 = 3

Half Life 3 confirmed Pyra exclusive!

Mmm...  math is off a bit. :)

From my count there are 10 prototype boards for ED and dev use + 8 prototype units sold to suckers like me + likely 2-6 or so 'extra' to ensure that if a few didn't survive the process they would be able to service the needs.  So - I'm guessing that they started with planned prototype production somewhere between 20 and 24 units.

24/24 = 1

Pyra confirmed as it's own new class of device.

(Pandora = handheld clam shell computer with gaming controls)

(Pyra = handheld clam shell computer with gaming controls and 4G phone-like capabilities)

Well, one of the CPU boards apparently x-rayed out okay, but there's a big difference between that and 'working'.  Still, I for one am keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

That's what I meant but I didn't want to sound like a jerk, or jealous :p

Don't get too jealous.  There is a lot of stress being #8 of 8.  If they don't have enough prototypes to go around I would be the first to get bumped off the fulfillment list.  Every minor issue they ran into yesterday with prototype production made me nervous.

Back