Prototype Production Run

indeed, thats really looking pro!
all the best to you mad scientists at gc!!

pyrates go!
:)

Most likes for:

Guy at the microscope !!!

First picture from behind, without gloves and thinking "fuck yeah, what should happen with ESD-crap"

Second picture from near, WITH gloves and thinking "damn, customer is lurking around and is taking proofpictures. Have to show him how we could handle it"

I know what I'm talking about ;-)

Looking Awesome, ED!

I must say, this seems like a night and day difference to the Pandora production. Hours and days to address issues, VS. the weeks and months of old. Hopefully within the next few weeks, we get the "Green Light", and you can take my MONEY! :lol:

Chris

Thanks for the updates, nice photos. The keymat looks nice, could you notice how much the white coating has improved the reflection? (hard to see on photo)

Thanks for Update 2:

So the CPU Boards needs smaler pencils to be populetet...

Therefore its good to have this think modular, so you can use the Main Boards and just remake the CPU Boards..

As it will take a few days to get smaler pencils, hopefully next week whe have the CPU Boards

And then the Cases and the Keymats also should be ready..

Im looking forward for the first working and complete prototyphs bevore chrissmas..

Very nice report. And there is the advantage to have production near by, too. really great job so far.

Most likes for:
Guy at the microscope !!!

First picture from behind, without gloves and thinking "fuck yeah, what should happen with ESD-crap"

Second picture from near, WITH gloves and thinking "damn, customer is lurking around and is taking proofpictures. Have to show him how we could handle it"

I know what I'm talking about ;-)
Hehe, actually: Nope. It's more simple: It's two different guys.

The one with the gloves was cleaning some boards with chemicals before, that's why he's wearing gloves.

The whole room is ESD protected. The floor is grounded and you get some ESD sticker below your shoes which connects to your skin.

The white coats everyone wears are ESD protection as well. So no one needs gloves there.

BTW: The keymat in the dark looks beautiful, and that's still with the old keymat (and therefore it will be even better with the updated keymat):

Not bad, I thought it was the new mat but compared to the first try, the lights are already much brighter now. So even with more LEDs, these don't seem to have to be very bright to make a decent keymat light.

... but unfortunately, after it came out from the steam oven, the OMAP5 and the Memory Chips moved around:

Oh, are the chips at least re-usable or are they all broken now?

A steam solder oven?  Cool, now the Pyra gets a little bit steampunk

Let's hope the steam doesn't make the boards corrode... :-||"  There are at least some uncovered spots (where the CPU board will be, for example).

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess in English a steam solder oven is more normally known as a vapour phase oven (or a condensation oven).  It's not steam or water vapour involved, but usually the condensation of a grease onto the PCB transferring the heat of condensation into the solder.

I guess in English a steam solder oven is more normally known as a vapour phase oven (or a condensation oven).  It's not steam or water vapour involved, but usually the condensation of a grease onto the PCB transferring the heat of condensation into the solder.

True. Thanks for the correction.

Not bad, I thought it was the new mat but compared to the first try, the lights are already much brighter now. So even with more LEDs, these don't seem to have to be very bright to make a decent keymat light.

It's perfectly usable alread (unless you want to blind yourself with too bright light) but that's hard to show with a picture ;)

Oh, are the chips at least re-usable or are they all broken now?

The chips are broken, but that's not a big deal.

Very good post! You know if you wanna reach the perfect state you've gotta make some mistakes in between :D Good luck on the next attempt! Thanks for the photos, very interesting. Maybe next time you wanna shot some videos? Could be even more interesting!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH, Been throwing money at screen, hoping for the mass production of Pyra. But nothing yet happens. ED, when will mass production began?

It is superb to be able to follow up on production of this quality this close, hope all goes the best it can an no major draw backs.

What? Video footage? never mind editing, just up 3h of it already! :D

Back