Project Ninja

Fishbong posted on Jul 3 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
Because many NeoGeo ROMs are bigger. Sure, the Xbox has also only 64MB and still manages to load even bigger ROMs, but it also has more power to do fast dynamic loading.

exactly. there is also other stuff that has large rom size and would be able to be emulated on this, such as CPS-2 and to a lesser extent PSX emulation which will be possible on this, it's gonna need good amount of ram (64meg at least) to get anywhere with that :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaw posted on Jul 4 2005 at 09:06 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Jul 3 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
Because many NeoGeo ROMs are bigger. Sure, the Xbox has also only 64MB and still manages to load even bigger ROMs, but it also has more power to do fast dynamic loading.

exactly. there is also other stuff that has large rom size and would be able to be emulated on this, such as CPS-2 and to a lesser extent PSX emulation which will be possible on this, it's gonna need good amount of ram (64meg at least) to get anywhere with that :(
Actually PSX isn't bad. It uses disks so the data can be spooled.

Why would PSX emulation require 64mb? It only has 12mb ram max, and uses cd's, so can't have more than that in memory in one go anyway, so 32mb is more than adequate. The CD can be replaced by an SD card - no need (and it would be silly) to load the entire cd into ram just the purpose of emulation.

This sounds great, all the specs sound fine to me, but I also would love to see a Touchscreen.

The idea of poking lemmings around with a stylus just... turns me on.

Gaming touchscreens aren't just a portable alternative to a mouse, they are a far better replacement. It's such a shame that the DS's small touchscreen will mostly be used for innovative but awkward, seperate-screened control schemes.

A single large touchscreen would be fantastic and there is a huge library of mouse-driven Amiga/ST games that will be even better because of it:

Cannon Fodder
Shufflepuck Cafe
Walker
Syndicate
Lemmings
etc etc

Not to mention Deluxe paint.

Squidge posted on Jul 4 2005 at 10:50 PM said:
Why would PSX emulation require 64mb? It only has 12mb ram max, and uses cd's, so can't have more than that in memory in one go anyway, so 32mb is more than adequate. The CD can be replaced by an SD card - no need (and it would be silly) to load the entire cd into ram just the purpose of emulation.

yeah, but more ram would make it slightly faster allowing more to be stored for less loading.

anyway, the ram would be used for arcade emulation mainly.

the ram does not have to be stock 64, the ram could be socketed for easy upgrading to 64? that would be better

if the ram was socketed for easy upgrading that sounds like a good solution but all the devvers will look at the core specs of the ninja and will probably never utilise this feature.

So realistically, why is the additional 32mb not viable and what would we really gain by having it in the way of emulation which couldnt be done with 32mb?

I got a question..... What are we doing about a bios/operating system.

Are you just modifying one of the homebrewn BIOS' from the GP32 variety or will it be a whole new one?

Will there be an operating system like a GUI or just a select and start system from the bios?

The bios will be minimalistic - eg, it'll load a program from the sd card and run it - this could be a game, utility, launcher, etc, anything.

Pointless spending what could be weeks, maybe months, on a flashy gui os that your not going to see most of the time.

x68000 posted on Jul 5 2005 at 09:58 AM said:
if the ram was socketed for easy upgrading that sounds like a good solution but all the devvers will look at the core specs of the ninja and will probably never utilise this feature.

So realistically, why is the additional 32mb not viable and what would we really gain by having it in the way of emulation which couldnt be done with 32mb?

I understand, that many, if not all of the F-day emulators will have support for G32's memory upgrade... I think I heard that somewhere.

so does anyone know (not just speculation) if the ninja would benefit from the additional 32mb ram or is everything (amiga, neo geo, x68k) all possible on 32meg?

Also Homebrew games could utililize the extra ram, and stuff like Linux (and the huge library of applications and even games) would also benefit greatly (even though my Sharp Zaurus shows that it can be done with only 32mb; it has 64mb, but half is used as storage, but if you hack it to use all of it and take the SDcard for storage it definitly runs better).

But, please include a touchscreen! The chip supports it, the extra cost isn't huge, but it adds a huge amount of extra useability to the Ninja.

Squidge posted on Jul 4 2005 at 03:33 PM said:
I'm feel sorry for your ear, but... 20c?! 20c is practically tropical! It's 16c here and I'd say it was still quite warm. If it was 20c, I'd be in me shorts :)

Talking about things inflamed though, I've got an inflamed anus :eek: doesn't hurt too much, but it does mean I need access to a toilet anything upto 9 times a day, so travelling is right out the window.

Lucky you.. Its been 28C to 38C here in Portugal lately...

Any news from Mr Mirko ?
*going to the website*
Ah... Yeah, i see ^_^

Btw, i though we could be inspired by the GP "fake" Q+:

We could set an option to put the screen:
1) Like GBA SP (to play, for example...)
2) Like it (edit: second picture):

-_-.gif

Then, if the screen was touch screen, imagine what could you do with... More than one greater comfort to watch movies :)

yeah that fake looked great :)

but i think its too complicated to do and its too small for fitting all the chips in :(

32 meg of ram wouldn't be enough for n64 emulation would it?

I mean, if I were to buy this (and it sounds interesting enough that I might just) it would have to be able to emulate everything the gp32 can plus (At least):

neogeo
psx
n64
and Amiga

Yes your 32 bit athlon, but somehow I think a 400mhz 32 bit processor couldn't do it so easily, thinking of it again, I'd say it could be done, just, slowly.

Back