Project Ninja

How 'bout free games for emu's? :p

emu8kl.jpg

WOW! i just read through ALL 17 pages!
this project is really catching my interest..

what's the latest word?

By the time this is actually realised (if at all - I don't want to be harsh, but let's be realistic. Although I have faith in Mirko & co), PSP either has an up & running homebrew community, because they found a cleaner way to run homebrew, or it has died because they didn't. And then we'll see who does homebrew better. This may be exclusively designed for it, but don't forget that they don't have the resources of Sony to try stuff out. All in all, the PSP has astonishing homebrew potential with emulators popping up after a mere 8 weeks, if the exploit situation could be improved I don't think this thing, while being a great idea, will appeal to many people. And then we'll get into a vicious circle, because no audience -> more expenses, (probably) less motivation for the developers -> no device -> no audience.

what will the outer casing design be like? is that something that will be designed or picked out?
and about the TFT, 3.5" 320x240 would be a better pick than the 16:9 4" screen when considering emulators or even videos.

So how are you planning to meet demand for the Ninja if it happens?
I'd think for any commercial software to live it'd have to sell a few consoles.

Without designing some type of copy protection into it, practically zero.

Then again, the Gizmondo is more powerful and just has a smaller screen, but its much easier to port games to due to it's WinCE and NVidia, and just look how many companies are jumping onto that one...

Game companies want to write games that will be big sellers, so that normally means consoles made by Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony.

If this takes off, to the projected numbers, what are the chances of some commercial game houses releasing stuff for it? :huh:

what are the projected numbers?

edit:
also, they're shooting for a sort of backwards compatibility with gp32 apps?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Talk about Ninja -> PSP is very interesting, but i think

a Homebrew Machine needs NO commercial stuff, and NO copy protection.
a Homebrew Machine must be cheap, and cool.
With cool i mean, completly open, and with some special features.

Online gaming would be very cool, lets talk about a w-lan add on. This means you can play mame games with others, while laying in bed :) SO we need an open game server :)
And you can do this, without registering to some game companys, and paying money...

But to be realistic, who really wants to buy PSP movies on umd ?
Or pay 250Euro for psp, and 50Euro for each game ?
Thats 350Euro for a PSP with only 2 Games. !!!!

Use your Ninja ( hopefully around 150Euro), copy your divx on sd-card, and watch it FREE.
Use Mame and w-lan, to play over w-lan, or internet, with others.
Use your IRDA Keyboard (or kable based) to hack in LINUX. Start Qtopia.
USE Windows CE/Mobile. Yes, it is possible, the chip is supported.

This will come to 2 difficult questions,
Are we building a Game/divx/sound Machine only ? (32MByte ram,2Mbyte Flash, no touchpad )
Or a Qtopia/Windows Mobile Machine. ( 64Mbyte-ram, touchpad, 32Mbyte flash ram )

I prefer , and will build, the first one, couse its cheap.
And we will get w-lan as an add-on module (about 35$), so the base machine is small and easy.

You can alway chech the status of the project here : http://ninja.gp32x.de/

cu

Then again, the Gizmondo is more powerful and just has a smaller screen, but its much easier to port games to due to it's WinCE and NVidia, and just look how many companies are jumping onto that one...

Game companies want to write games that will be big sellers, so that normally means consoles made by Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony.

The Gizmondo uses the same Chip as project Ninja. :)

We dont need big sellers, we need good ported Emulators. :)

All the Talk about Ninja -> PSP is very interesting, but i think

a Homebrew Machine needs NO commercial stuff, and NO copy protection.
a Homebrew Machine must be cheap, and cool.
With cool i mean, completly open, and with some special features.

Online gaming would be very cool, lets talk about a w-lan add on. This means you can play mame games with others, while laying in bed :) SO we need an open game server :)
And you can do this, without registering to some game companys, and paying money...

But to be realistic, who really wants to buy PSP movies on umd ?
Or pay 250Euro for psp, and 50Euro for each game ?
Thats 350Euro for a PSP with only 2 Games. !!!!

Use your Ninja ( hopefully around 150Euro), copy your divx on sd-card, and watch it FREE.
Use Mame and w-lan, to play over w-lan, or internet, with others.
Use your IRDA Keyboard (or kable based) to hack in LINUX. Start Qtopia.
USE Windows CE/Mobile. Yes, it is possible, the chip is supported.

This will come to 2 difficult questions,
Are we building a Game/divx/sound Machine only ? (32MByte ram,2Mbyte Flash, no touchpad )
Or a Qtopia/Windows Mobile Machine. ( 64Mbyte-ram, touchpad, 32Mbyte flash ram )

I prefer , and will build, the first one, couse its cheap.
And we will get w-lan as an add-on module (about 35$), so the base machine is small and easy.

You can alway chech the status of the project here : http://ninja.gp32x.de/

cu

Give that guy a clap!

hmm... linux is also useable on the cheap machine :)
and would be, even without touch, nice imo.
What we just need for it would be a powered USB jack..

Does anybody else like the idea of the more expensive machine with the 64mb of ram and touchscreen?!

See Mr. Mirkos post about the two.

The Gizmondo uses the same Chip as project Ninja. :)

We dont need big sellers, we need good ported Emulators. :)

yeah, i was searching around the net for that Samsung cpu and found out it's the same as the Gizmondo's!

yeah, what we need is a nice, powerful game/video/sound machine :)
so the system will have 32mbyte of ram?

i can't wait for this to become a reality!!!!!

edit:
i think that extra 32mbyte of ram would be nice. touchscreen, i'm not too sure about.

i guess 32MB ram should be enough. or is there an obvious reason for more than 32MB?
and i would like the idea, to have the wlan and keybord and such stuff, optional via an ext. port.
4:3 screen, similar to the gp32 is also best, i guess. 16:9 is just for movies and i think, the main reason is gaming...and espesially there's no use for a 16:9 for an emulated system.

so i guess, the machine should be actually similar to the gp32. but what it needs is more buttons.

the console should definetly have enough buttons for snes emu plus a nice menu button. also i think we should forget about stuff like a touch screen that would be nice but is not completly necessary. stuff like that just complicates everything and if we want this thing to be finished ever we should keep it as simple as possible.

Back