Project Ninja

i wont count on psx/n64/dreamcast/xbox/gamecube emu.

also i realy think that a touchscreen would be realy usefull and add much value for pda like applications, also i dont think that the cost would be very high, we allready have the controller in the chip, and the screen is propably only a few $ more with touch.

Wouldn't we need more RAM for PSX-emulation?

I suggest a simple "OpenGamingConsoleProject" as the codename. ;)

TV-Out would be the best idea I can think of. Would be cool for playing emulators on a big screen, for presenting the console to other people and for MediaCenter-like applications. I know that a TV-out would mean a higher Price, but this is a very unique and good feature.

Since the new machine will be approximately twice as fast as the current one, and contains basically the same hardware, we can guess quite accurately that applications running on it will be twice as fast as the current gp32.

So, someone justs needs to code a load of new emulators, test them on the gp32, and then double the frame rate to see how fast it would run on the new hardware :)

GBA therefore may just about be possible using GPAdvance, but would probably not be very compatible. A ported GBA emulator would probably give us 6 - 10 fps.

Now, how fast did that PSX emu run that we had a while ago?

====

If the LCD we got used the standard hsync/vsync pair, then I reckon those lines should be just thrown onto another connector (minimal cost), then for the people who want tv-out can buy a convertor box containing the relevent electronics :)

Hello,

The idea is to make the system as cheap but as powerful as possible.

Think along the lines of a muscle car. You don't need to spend money on all those fancy engine extras if the car has a massive, powerful engine.

The more ram the more its going to knock the price up, I personally think that 32M is all it needs, for every extra 32M you're adding upto $20 to the price. Neogeo can be emulated via the CD system.

There isn't really any need to raise money, the funding is already in place, which I think makes this project much more likely to happen :)

Its now time to come up with a working prototype, then we can start to get excited ;)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

still think a cheap 3D accelerator with direct 3d and open gl support will be needed
Obviously, you´re much smarter than me. If you want a 3D- chip, then please tell us WHO will sell us only ~1000 pieces and this at a affordable price?

I think you don´t know how this business works. Dedicated 3D chips are very uncommon at the moment, only very big corporations (like Sony) use them in their devices. And they buy batches of ~100000 pcs. Small fishes like us haven´t the possibility to buy such highly specialized hardware.

And if you can prove me wrong, please do so. But if you don´t want me to laugh at you, better come up with some real proof.
Well since you agree that I'm smarter than you ;) i was simply stating what i think would make a good emulation system above the GP32, i didnt state at what price it could be done...
I'm pretty sure you dont know how much it will cost to develop one either...quotes like
only very big corporations (like Sony) use them in their devices.
shows that I'm not the only naive person here!
Dedicated 3D chips are widespread now by the end of 2005 will be in over 50 devices from mobile phones, handhelds, pocket pcs, smartphones etc...
I think if anyone is taking this project serously then someone should have a contact or two that can find the prices or quotes for the parts they will need...tbh as much as i'd like a project like this to come to fruition its pretty unlikely that more than a text document will be produced, but i'd love to be proved wrong.

Even if the 3D chip was left out then at least a 624mhz processor with 128mb ram would be needed...dont tell me where can i get one of those from?! well ask the person making this project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

The idea is to make the system as cheap but as powerful as possible.

Think along the lines of a muscle car. You don't need to spend money on all those fancy engine extras if the car has a massive, powerful engine.

The more ram the more its going to knock the price up, I personally think that 32M is all it needs, for every extra 32M you're adding upto $20 to the price. Neogeo can be emulated via the CD system.

There isn't really any need to raise money, the funding is already in place, which I think makes this project much more likely to happen :)

Its now time to come up with a working prototype, then we can start to get excited ;)

-Craig

www.gbax.com
32mb ram wont be enough, i cant see the point of this project if there wont be any new emulators being able to run on it...like someone said even the GBA wont be fully compatible, wave goodbye to proper neo-geo and certainly the majority of mame games..you might as well get a PSP now dont waste your time and money.

Hmmm, I wonder if this means that Gbax are going to be supporting this project :unsure:

It may be that this system doesn't support many more emulators than the current system, but why does everyone instantly think emulators? There's much more to a system than just emulators - PDA, Multimedia, etc...

Im almost happy with the specs. 64MB are enough i think.
Would something like GPAdvance be possible on this CPU? then we could have perfect GBA. Also the Zodiac has a GBA emu which is fullspeed in native resolution
like i said often before TouchScreen would be awesome, and its worth the money i think. Yes it should be a Gaming Console, but with a quite useable and cheap PDA Modus it would sell much better i think and a bigger community could come out of this.

I think some form of clock should be added if it's not already sorted by the CPU, would help with PDA applications and random number generation.

the one bad hting i can think of that may7 come out of this is i will have to sign up to a new board and wath 2 scenes,, personally i think.. as a far as a name goes something cheesy like "portable power".. or on a serious note "open-fire"..
yes i for see a clock being a good feature, as games like harvest moon rely on it..

Is the touch screen expensive, does it add many $ ? because a touch screen would be great, it will be like a PDA. If we want a clock, this handheld will need a betterie (i mean like the DS or the PSP, cellphone....), and this raise the price no ?

Just have the person put the battery in themselves, it's only a button cell, and I'm sure people won't mind, just open the case, slot a battery in, close it again.

Would it be possible to get an emulator on the system running before the system is made, just by using the specs...if so would it be a way for dev's to get a head start

Would it be possible to get an emulator on the system running before the system is made, just by using the specs...if so would it be a way for dev's to get a head start

I think there would be the need of a "project-ninja-emulator" for that.

GPAdvance is certainly possible, but considering the fact that we don't have perfect compatibility now, I don't see that we'll be getting perfect compatibility with just a faster processor. Porting a PC emulator isn't going to be feasible, so it still needs to run in the same way, but we still don't have the power to emulate everything in software.

the Zodiac has a GBA emu which is fullspeed in native resolution

Err, no it doesn't. There's a few titles that are playable, but I wouldn't go further than that.

I must agree with the touchscreen comment though, that would come in really handy, and is used and useful on the Zodiac.

The processor already has a clock built in, it just needs a constant power supply. Mirko could supply it directly from the battery for how little it draws from the batteries. May be best to use a button cell though so you don't have to set the time everytime you change the batteries. It would certainly raise the price, but I think a few pence for a battery holder is not going to break the bank.

Back