Project Morpheus - Pyra Game Indev

Glyph Reader

Something I have been curious about is the aspect ratio of the Pyra screen.  Since I plan to release my RPG to the Pyra (and maybe the Pandora), it would be nice to know in advance what aspect ratio I need to support for that platform.   

EDIT: I have changed the title to better reflect the nature of this thread.  For those that were curious, it was called "Pyra Screen Aspect Ratio." 

EDIT2: For those interested, I changed it to "Project Morpheus - Pyra Game Indev."

-Glyph Reader

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of RPG you making? Got any links or anything so we can check it out?
Well, if you don't mind looking at nearly indecipherable scribbles on some of my UI concepts, then go ahead [NOTE: None of the following are final in any way]:

UI Concept #1: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/05/06/53682897999ba.png

UI Concept #2: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/05/06/53682a6bbe86a.png

UI Concept #3: http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/05/06/53682a8e79523.png

UI Concept #1 was the first.  I was originally looking to do an RPG that was similar to dungeon-crawling games like Legend of Grimrock.  With UI Concept #2, I started to become conflicted on how the game was going to be played.  However, after a good amount of sleep (and a healthy dose of (watching someone else play :( ) Ni No Kuni), I am currently set on refining UI Concept #3.  That particular concept is more based on games like Final Fantasy 6.  However, like Ni No Kuni, there is going to be a large emphasis on customizable creatures that the characters will use. 

Just might want to mention this; those boxes at the bottom the the designs are beds.  The entire games is going to be inspired by dreams and will take place (kind-of) in a dream (no other details.) 

Hope I didn't forget anything. 

-Glyph Reader

That's very nice UI concept, I like your #3, couple questions. The top right 3 boxes, what are you planning for the topmost 2 boxes to hold? What kind of graphical style are you going to go for? 2D sprites or full 3D stuff?

Grimrock looks like a turn based elder scrolls, never heard of it before :)

Awesome stuff, don't know much bout RPGs but I love seeing what people create!

Also, I do NOT even know how, but Ni No Kuni seemed familiar to me, so I checked it out, and I remember that game! Never played it, but I saw trailers for it, and heard that it was from the same like, people as Howel's Moving Castle (SP?lol) and really liked it, then forgot about it ^_­^: (Silly brain) so now I must watch it be played!

That's very nice UI concept, I like your #3, couple questions. The top right 3 boxes, what are you planning for the topmost 2 boxes to hold? What kind of graphical style are you going to go for? 2D sprites or full 3D stuff?

Grimrock looks like a turn based elder scrolls, never heard of it before :)

Awesome stuff, don't know much bout RPGs but I love seeing what people create!

Also, I do NOT even know how, but Ni No Kuni seemed familiar to me, so I checked it out, and I remember that game! Never played it, but I saw trailers for it, and heard that it was from the same like, people as Howel's Moving Castle (SP?lol) and really liked it, then forgot about it ^_­^: (Silly brain) so now I must watch it be played!
With #3, the other two boxes in that corner are related to the command window:

53686815a30d5.png

The Command Window holds the list of commands (eg. Attack, Defend, Magic, Run, etc.)  The Selection Window handles both skill selection (that part is skipped for simple commands like run or defend, etc.) and selecting the target of the command.  Lastly, the Info Window will contain information on whatever is selected (enemy, character, spell info, skill info, etc.) 

Glad to hear you enjoy reading about this!  ;)

-Glyph Reader

Yup, now I'm watching Martyn from yogscast play Ni No Kuni lol.

Very nice, this will be useable with the touch screen right?

If I remember correctly, the touch screen is just mouse input, so it would be as simple as supporting mouse usage.  

-Glyph Reader

That's kind of a weird ratio for modern times or maybe even in general.
It may look weird now but up until a couple years ago it was an extremely common resolution in phones, tablets, small netbooks, UMPCs and MIDs.

If I remember correctly, the touch screen is just mouse input, so it would be as simple as supporting mouse usage.  

-Glyph Reader
Looking at your question again, I realized you said 'usable,' not 'possible.'  So to clarify, it will be perfectly usable with the touch screen -- at the very least for the Pyra (and maybe Pandora) version. 

-Glyph Reader

So, here is an updated GUI I have been working on that makes a bit more sense, I feel.  

gui_concept__1_by_minepow2-d7hhbmy.jpg

Also, I just realized that there is no subforum for software for the Pyra.  I want to make a thread for this game, but I don't plan for a Pandora release until the Pyra version is complete and released.  Are there plans to open up a Pyra Software subforum soon?

-Glyph Reader

I know this is a stretch and probably not something you're going to even try to implement, but your new interface (For some reason) made me think of this game which was recently released to Steam, which basically re-envisioned Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior gameplay in a way which different people could bring characters together for multiplayer FF/DW-like gameplay.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249550/?snr=1_200_200_253_tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC_2

Like I said, no idea why this came to mind. But it would be cool if you could coop with other people on an awesome Pyra RPG similar in ways to that game ^_­^

Also, I just realized that there is no subforum for software for the Pyra.  I want to make a thread for this game, but I don't plan for a Pandora release until the Pyra version is complete and released.  Are there plans to open up a Pyra Software subforum soon?

-Glyph Reader
Even if you were developing for the Pandora, the Software News forum would be the wrong place as that's for discussing releases not development. For now, I think the best place for such a discussion is here in General Talk.

- Neelix

Back