Pyra Dock - What is known?

Glyph Reader

Something I have been curious about; has EvilDragon confirmed anything about the Pyra Docking Bay?  Will it come with the Pyra or be separate? 

-Glyph Reader

A "portable" display dock would be nice. There are cheap HDMI and USB-powered displays out there. A display dock (think of Asus Padfone 1) would be very nice. maybe i will build a prototype if i got the pyra in my hands x)

I don't particularly see the need for a portable display - the Pyra's already got a perfectly good 720p monitor built in. I guess a larger 1080p display might help for very high dpi games, but as I say I expect to be perfectly happy with 720p for the time being. A keyboard I can finger type on might have some use for me, but I don't think there exists a keyboard you can use without a desk that you can finger type on using both hands (though perhaps someone has implemented a two-handed chorded keyboard while I wasn't looking).

I guess personally the only use I have for a dock is for something I can wire up to a full-sized keyboard, a desktop display so I can share stuff, and maybe a usb hard disc (although I don't think I even have enough data to fill the Pyra alone yet if fully equipped with twin 512GB SD cards).

Let's first finish the Pyra, then the Docking Station
May I make a suggestion for the docking station? I would like it to also be an alarm clock, like an old clock radio. Maybe even have AM/FM/SW circuit, but also be able to play music from the Pyra perhaps?

Just replicate the ports on the back of the Pyra using full sized versions (Inc eSATA) and roll in a 3 port USB 3.0 hub with wired networking.

Gut this or similar.

Don't forget a charge line back on the uUSB.

Last edited:
May I make a suggestion for the docking station? I would like it to also be an alarm clock, like an old clock radio. Maybe even have AM/FM/SW circuit, but also be able to play music from the Pyra perhaps?
Aside from the AM/FM circuitry, is there any reason for this to be built into the dock instead of just being an application you run on the Pyra itself?

Just replicate the ports on the back of the Pyra using full sized versions (Inc eSATA) and roll in a 3 port USB 3.0 hub with wired networking.
This.

A builtin HDMI to VGA adapter would be a great bonus for usage with beamers, though a separate cable is also an option.

Aside from the AM/FM circuitry, is there any reason for this to be built into the dock instead of just being an application you run on the Pyra itself?

Well, I figured one could keep the Pyra off, and when the alarm goes off it could turn it on to play music from it.

The power chip, basically being an update of the one in the Pandora from what I remember, has a built in clock that can set an alarm to wake up with. This was demonstrated on the Pandora already, being able to go to sleep and then wake up at a set time: when it wakes up, the script then checks if it woke up because of the alarm and then does the thing it needed to do.

The power chip, basically being an update of the one in the Pandora from what I remember, has a built in clock that can set an alarm to wake up with. This was demonstrated on the Pandora already, being able to go to sleep and then wake up at a set time: when it wakes up, the script then checks if it woke up because of the alarm and then does the thing it needed to do.
Seriously? That's amazing! How does one utilize this feature?

Handy (from link) does seem a poor choice for office use. Saying "hey, can someone give me a handy" means something unrelated to making a call afaik.

Edit: Saying something about a dead battery when asking for a handy also seems to be misunderstood here.

Seriously? That's amazing! How does one utilize this feature?
Someone (I forget who) actually came up with a working demo of a clock.
The mechanics are very simple: write a future unix (UTC, I believe) timestamp to a specific /sys/something file, then put your Pandora to sleep, or even shut it completely off. When that timestamp passes, it's basically like hitting the power switch. Modify the shell script that does the sleeping to also check for a set alarm when it wakes up and that'll be everything you need.
I'd look up the specifics but my Pandora is all the way upstairs and my cat is currently curled up on my arms snoring so I'm unable to move from my seat. Something like "echo 1471669200 > /sys/class/rtc/wakealarm" will set an alarm for August 20th 5am UTC. Probably not exactly the right directory, but you should be able to find it.

Back