Some retrogaming questions

darkcpc

Still Fresh
One of the big reasons for me owning a pyra will be playing arcade games on a high quality handheld and not from some chinese device which are always flawed in one way or another. I don't mind it being expensive as long as it provides excellent gameplay experience

I am not very technical about this, but a 3.5 inch LCD with 320x240 pixels and 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal for retro gaming but pyra has 5" 720p screen so how will we get the accurate display for retro games?

Some people complained there was ghosting on the Pandora screen. Are we assured there no ghosting on pyra one?

I always hear the biggest complaint about gaming handhelds which is dpads being "mushy". What type of dpad will pyra have and will it be "mushy"? Will it be like or better than the pandora one? I never had a pandora so don't know what it was like but have heard that it is very good.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance in these matters.

Last edited:
Aspect ratio can be set by many means.
Ghosting on the Pandora can be mitigated, I don't remember exactly how. Anywayn Pyra's screen should be better.
Pandora's dpad is very good, I expect the gaming experience on the Pyra to be excellent.

Dpad is basically the same, and its good.
Screen has passed EDs quality expectations and i can totally confirm that hes an nitpicking gaming nerd only letting the best stuff pass.
I also have not seen any ghosting on the pandora, maybe i am not that nitpicking.

I dont think its possible to have the same graphic experience on a modern screen with games that where made for older stuff. Like gameboy advance either has giant black borders, weird pixelated graphics or mushy unsharp graphics. Thats a question of the graphic filter not the screen tho, and they all suck.
Just an reminder: Very most devices fail at emulation, look at nintendos mini retro nes, massive input lag and broken graphics. Just expect the pyra to be better than that.

Is it a 60hz screen
As far as I know. I haven't looked up the part though, to be fair.

Regarding ghosting on the Pandora, I remember it made Venture an absolute bugger to play, because your red pixel of a player char in the initial map view basically disappeared when you moved it.

Edit: I barely noticed the ghosting in other situations though to be fair.

Edit: Regarding the Pyra's screen resolution, it's 1280x720. That will fit a 320x240 screen in horizontal format exactly 3 times, or if it's vertical format, it ends up dividing into 2¼ times, so you could either do double lines and leave a gap of 90 pixels top and bottom if you want pixel perfect, or double every fourth line, or run some fancier kind of non-integer scaling.

Last edited:
I never played a Saturn, and until Pandora I preferred the old NES/GB cross. The dpad doesn't feel awkward on the Pandora, and I don't have any complaints. Does what it is designed for and doesn't get in your way.

Back