Problems In Getting A Finished Unit

giovanni

Hi!
I searched in this forum but I didn't found a real answer to this question...
Ok, I really don't know anything about the fabrication system, but what is the problem for Craig to ask for one of each Pandora's piece from the respective factory and assemble a prototype?
Is not too easy like I think? (REALLY IGNORANT :D )
Shipping would start at the end of this month but without a finished unit?

I'm not so hasty, my is only curiosity. :D
Bye!

The problem is that creating a prototype case is massivly expensive.
The other problem is that, from what I can tell, things haven't really been finalised for all that long (the final Dev board was only unvieled a while ago), and you really need to have everything set in stone before you even start thinking about getting the cases done.
Also.... have they actually finalised the hinge or the aerial yet? little things like that really need to be 100% before they can move on.
They could always hire a carpenter to make one just to show its possible (more common than you'd think) that would cost around £350, more if they wanted it done to via laser for greater accuracy, but there really isn't much point until the next round of tradeshows, plus but might catch fire :D

excuse me... but "boards" means all the hardware (the "computer's part" and pads, speakers....) or only the main board?

giovanni said:
what is the problem for Craig to ask for one of each Pandora's piece from the respective factory and assemble a prototype?
It's the custom pieces that are the problem. The shell, the circuit boards, the keyboard, etc. Getting custom stuff is ridiculously expensive in small quantity.

Max said:
Also.... have they actually finalised the hinge or the aerial yet?
I'm also wondering about the keyboard. We've seen an incomplete render of the part, but that's all. They probably don't have one yet. No point assembling a prototype with no keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last missing component (from gathering the info that is available throughout the board) are the controls(keyboard parts). The key mat was finalized just recently(I've posted a quote from the German board somewhere). There hasn't been new info regarding the Wifi antenna.

giovanni said:
excuse me... but "boards" means all the hardware (the "computer's part" and pads, speakers....) or only the main board?
It actually means a piece of silicone waiting for the chips to be added....
Think of it as the early stages of sim city where you're adding comercial and industrial zones but they haven't been moved into yet :D
I think the last pic showed a populated board... but there were only about 15 of them.
final_board_1_small.jpg

Just to clear up confusion though, this is about the stage they're at right now (hopefully a little further on :D)

Yeah but Im much too lazy to hunt through for it, this just happened to be the first pic of the board I came across in the Dev update thread :)

I would guess if they haven't got all custom parts ready to produce by now, the end-of-the-month date should be difficult to meet

The plastic an rubber parts are incredibly fast to produce, when the prototyping is finished, so don't worry ;)

mali said:
ED:
Was meinen Bereich betrifft: Ich habe die letzten Tage die Gummimatte auf den zehntel Millimeter genau ans Gehäuse angepasst und diese ist nun beim Prototyping.

Rough translation:
"Regarding my domain: In the last days I have tweaked the key mat to a tenth of a milimetre to fit in the case. The mat is at the prototyping now."

Thank you guys!..... ;)
In general, if you know that, when a complete unit should be finished before shipping?
.......11\10 days untill the first Official "opening day" and the case's production don't start?
Are really so fast these factories?

My are not reproaches, I see through the Openpandora's team....

EDIT: Ok mali (about rubber parts...) i read your post only now....

I suppose the big test is if Craig and co. know the secret of customer satisfaction.
'Under promise; Over deliver!'

Its always best to keep your customer base thinking you're running way behind schedual, because they end up delighted when it does turn up in time :D

maxSteiner said:
Yeah but Im much too lazy to hunt through for it, this just happened to be the first pic of the board I came across in the Dev update thread :)
Your to lazy to look at the one truly official source of information? And people wonder why they get flamed. Anyway, because one of my personalities is a nice helpful guy, here is the link for you:Official blog

maxSteiner said:
I suppose the big test is if Craig and co. know the secret of customer satisfaction.
Again, if you had done some reading you would realize that that is one of the main reasons that the project has such support here - because ED and craigix have stores that people are very happy with.

They did go for quite some time without giving dates, but came under a lot of pressure to quote a date. So they did. Then everyone expects those dates to be met. This is a major undertaking by a small group affected by many external real-world issues. Actually in many respects they are doing quite well. But they cannot win with making promises.
editted to remove mysterious additional quote...

maxSteiner said:

Its always best to keep your customer base thinking you're running way behind schedual, because they end up delighted when it does turn up in time :D
If they'd been secretly finishing all the Pandoras now (e.g are ready to ship), then there'll be a lot of annoyed people who were tricked into worrying...

i wouldnt be anoyed,i would be over the moon>it wont be the case sadly,but lets just be patient and keep it ultra cool,the refunds will be in by this monday at the latest,then we can all relax knowing the team have the money problems sorted.from that point we should start seeing more unstressed devteam input,late nxt week should be good for us all.

mazza558 said:
maxSteiner said:

If they'd been secretly finishing all the Pandoras now (e.g are ready to ship), then there'll be a lot of annoyed people who were tricked into worrying...

Holy Brainf(_)ck Batman!?

maxSteiner said:
giovanni said:
Think of it as the early stages of sim city where you're adding comercial and industrial zones but they haven't been moved into yet :D
I think the last pic showed a populated board... but there were only about 15 of them.
final_board_1_small.jpg

Just to clear up confusion though, this is about the stage they're at right now (hopefully a little further on :D)

Sorry but I feel that I need to correct you on this. There is over 600 populated boards already, meaning there is nothing to do but assemble the units. Problem is, they are apparently still waiting for a lot of the LCDs.

Also you are mixing up pcbs with chips. A microchip is made from silicon as the semiconductor. The "boards" are actually plastic and copper/gold. There is no silicon on an unpopulated board.
So yeah, a lot of confusion is caused by misinformation and false or partly correct answers.

xnopasaranx said:
maxSteiner said:

Sorry but I feel that I need to correct you on this. There is over 600 populated boards already, meaning there is nothing to do but assemble the units. Problem is, they are apparently still waiting for a lot of the LCDs.

They have over 600 LCDs.

Back