Preparing for Germany (2011-08-26)

Nothing has changed over the years, you still keep begging money from costumers, what happened to "no preorders next time" ?

Also I garantue you that without a complete redesigned product you are going to fail and by failing I mean getting a decent profit..

With everything that happened you must be really stupid( as a costumer) if you still have faith in these preorders...I mean if you cannot even deliver 3000 pieces in over 3 years...

This "community" stuff goes way to far..

Nothing has changed over the years, you still keep begging money from costumers, what happened to "no preorders next time" ?

You have read that the preorders will be without payment in advance.

How exactly is that begging for money?

Or is it you just haven't read properly what I posted?

Also I garantue you that without a complete redesigned product you are going to fail and by failing I mean getting a decent profit..

Then why do I get so many eMails per day from people wanting to order it, if it needs a redesign?

With everything that happened you must be really stupid( as a costumer) if you still have faith in these preorders...I mean if you cannot even deliver 3000 pieces in over 3 years...

You mean the next ones, where you don't have to pay in advance?

This "community" stuff goes way to far..

Well, it goes as far as everyone in the community wants it to go.

If the community decides to lose interest or ask for refunds, then everything will stop.

So as you can see, the community still seems to be interested.

Great first post on the board, BTW.

ED, I think our newcomer is actually just a little mixed-up...

Welcome aboard, eses.

Regretfully, I must inform you that you're on the wrong forum! Whilst hand-making things can take quite a while, this isn't a costuming community, as you might be able to tell from the lack of renaissance and cosplay trappings around here.

You may want to hit Google and look elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea was nixed on account of they still have thousands of the current processors on hand. Nothing's going to happen with a new CPU until at least the end of batch 2.
ED later said (gp32x thread 'Pandora 2') that he will still try to find some ways. Also technically they can still bump up at least RAM size and keep OMAP the same.

I guess RAM size does not matter to 'pandora is console' camp but it is big issue for the 'pandora is computer in a pocket' camp. I am running my panda at 850MHz at OPP3 and felt no need to go to 'overdrive' operating points to clock it more, but I am constantly fighting with firefox crashing (with no swap enabled) or slowdown/halt due to swapping. So new CPU is not worth the upgrade IMO but the RAM is. 256MB is laughable even in phones today (or even was a year ago).

Not sure if it makes sense (business wise) to have two new boards -> two pandora SKUs at different pricepoints at the same time but I guess yes. The 'console camp' could then go for lower price option or even go for new pandora with refurbished board from users upgrading their pandora to more RAM for even lower price point. (like $100 less, paid by person trading the board).

From endless discussions over years here I assume there really are two opinions about device purpose and two camps so why don't have two pandoras? Just like with overclocking difference (not everyone wants to go for maximum performance) there is same difference with memory usage. Someone wants to use minimenu which leaves more ram and someone wants to have full desktop environment with firefox open with game walk through while running the game in emulator and switch between them. Different ways, different memory requirements.

IMO pandora is not pure console because there is no identical singlepurpose UI and no single way how to use the device for same tasks (unlike real consoles where developers really can assume everything is same on each device regarding free ram and cpu clocks while running their game).

Welcome aboard, eses.

Regretfully, I must inform you that you're on the wrong forum! Whilst hand-making things can take quite a while, this isn't a costuming community, as you might be able to tell from the lack of renaissance and cosplay trappings around here.

I don't get it :r

I guess RAM size does not matter to 'pandora is console' camp but it is big issue for the 'pandora is computer in a pocket' camp. I am running my panda at 850MHz at OPP3 and felt no need to go to 'overdrive' operating points to clock it more, but I am constantly fighting with firefox crashing (with no swap enabled) or slowdown/halt due to swapping. So new CPU is not worth the upgrade IMO but the RAM is. 256MB is laughable even in phones today (or even was a year ago).

Not sure if it makes sense (business wise) to have two new boards -> two pandora SKUs at different pricepoints at the same time but I guess yes. The 'console camp' could then go for lower price option or even go for new pandora with refurbished board from users upgrading their pandora to more RAM for even lower price point. (like $100 less, paid by person trading the board).

Sounds like this may be less of a "Pandora is a computer in a pocket" problem and more of a "Firefox fucking devours memory" problem. .. okay, it's probably a bit of both. But I do hope the FF7 hype about reducing memory footprint has something to it.

This shouldn't have any relevance to your distinction between using Pandora for gaming and using it for computery stuff and personally I agree with you on your idea, but if OP actually does release two Pandoras with two RAM amounts everyone is going to complain about how it's splitting the community and fragmenting software (long before there's any such evidence of that happening).. Mark my words..

Welcome aboard, eses.

Well, eses was complaining about costumers being stupid to have faith in pre-orders, and how 3000 pieces haven't been delivered in three years.

It seems pretty obvious that he was referring to the difficulty in ordering custom outfits or fabrics, after some of the ancient looms were decommissioned a while back. ;) (Unless there really is a hidden community of costumers here that you guys have kept me out of the loop about!)

Hehe i'm ok to pay more for the 1Ghz Pandora, and also pay the price of the unused SoC, which i'll put in my university's museum !!!

but if OP actually does release two Pandoras with two RAM amounts everyone is going to complain about how it's splitting the community and fragmenting software (long before there's any such evidence of that happening).. Mark my words..
I know. But the community was splitted like this since day one so nothing new here. To me it is partly jealousy that anyone can have better device and partly console religion with no real background since as explained in reality there is no way two devices are same regarding clock speed or free memory due to different usage patterns, generic purpose multitasking OS and different overclockability both due to hardware limits and user's choice - 600MHz stock vs >=1GHz overclocked is big difference.

I know. But the community was splitted like this since day one so nothing new here. To me it is partly jealousy that anyone can have better device and partly console religion with no real background since as explained in reality there is no way two devices are same regarding clock speed or free memory due to different usage patterns, generic purpose multitasking OS and different overclockability both due to hardware limits and user's choice - 600MHz stock vs >=1GHz overclocked is big difference.

Sure, but you don't really want to further aggravate a community that is still tied up in a bunch of preorders. Hell, look at all the people shouting at Craig and threatening to cancel their preorders just at the suggestion of there being a CPU upgrade, a CPU upgrade that wouldn't actually create a software schism of any kind..

Welcome aboard, eses.

Well, eses was complaining about costumers being stupid to have faith in pre-orders, and how 3000 pieces haven't been delivered in three years.

It seems pretty obvious that he was referring to the difficulty in ordering custom outfits or fabrics, after some of the ancient looms were decommissioned a while back. ;) (Unless there really is a hidden community of costumers here that you guys have kept me out of the loop about!)

heh dam you found us guess we better tell you everything

Oh, ED, what have you done? Your innocence is kind of endearing...

When the idea was suggested initially, I felt a little betrayed. But, realistically, I've had the Pandora for a year already, and they haven't, so why should I complain?

I also think the Pandora needs every advantage it can get to sell at it's price point, and the more users it has, the more software there is and the more polished it is.

So, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents of support for you.

If I put a price on the time I have spent on these forums and thinking about what I will do with the pandora I would have upgraded my pre-order to premium at the start of the year.

If it had been delivered 3 years ago I'm pretty sure I would have gotten bored with it and stopped using it by now.

So .. why are people still talking about upgraded Pandora's?

Wait another ~2 years people!

Lets do batch 2 (and 3?) first.

I'm fascinated by the OpenPandora and can't wait to pre-order one. Cheers to everyone involved and cheers for a 1ghz processor, even if it's a couple years away still.

I usually dont pick at typos, grammar, and spelling, because usually sets me up to make some simple mistake. But --

I just wanted to know what "garantue" means. :)

On a more realistic note. I think if there was a poll (or was there already?) of people who would buy a new "Pandora 2" that there would be alot more early adopters, whether first time Pandora owners, or current Pandora orders than some may realize. I'll reevaluate whether I'm ready to commit to a Pandora when the time comes where they are actually in stock and ready to be shipped when ordered.

But in the meantime, when a Pandora 2 comes out, with the power to play a higher level of x86 games, and PS2 emulation, among some other nice additions, I'll be ready to drop up to 1k. Nono, I'm not telling Pandora to charge that much, but saying, that's how high my level of interest is.

Back