Just to let you know we're not dead (2011-08-16)

Should a newer processor be released then I will most likely purchase a second Pandora.

As a dev, if any of my applications would require the additional processing power, then I would simply drop support for the older units. Just like you would for regular PCs.

Seriously .. if batch 2 gets different internals (other than board revision) I'm going to ask a refund (and I've been waiting 2.5 years ...)

If this is in any way for real I'm quitting right now.

I have been keeping my peace for a long long time. Patient with every move, mishap and whatnot.

This would be the biggest promise you didn't keep to the community by far.

I seriously hope this 'consideration' is just a brain-fart and the smell will dissipate soon.
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want a pandora with more power and no downside?

For one reason or another, FusionPower didn't translate ED's last line on the processor:

"Das OS und alle Apps bleiben natürlich komplett kompatibel." - "The OS and all Apps are, naturally, fully compatible."

If this does come to pass it may just push me into being a definite on getting myself a panda :)

I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want a pandora with more power and no downside?

For one reason or another, FusionPower didn't translate ED's last line on the processor:

"Das OS und alle Apps bleiben natürlich komplett kompatibel." - "The OS and all Apps are, naturally, fully compatible."

I think this is a pretty good reason to not like it.

As a dev, if any of my applications would require the additional processing power, then I would simply drop support for the older units. Just like you would for regular PCs.

if there will be a faster pandora with more RAM I'll buy a second one.

EDIT: but fix the DEL key :ph34r:

EDIT: but maybe better if you quickly produced 50 000 of pandoras, then upgrade hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the possible difference in hardware due to common component availability? As in, will it be cheaper to buy something more readily populating the market than to keep parts present in the original design?

It would be interesting, but also headache for devs, if the architecture were to evolve each batch. If such a thing is what we are looking at, then compatibility and cross version support should become a top priority.

Should a newer processor be released then I will most likely purchase a second Pandora.

If any of your applications required more processing power than the current Pandora, then how would you even consider yourself "support"ing it? And all software would be identical across the 2 separate sets of hardware. Everything would be compatible without requiring modification or recompiling. It's not like a new Windows OS or the next generation of PC hardware, in terms of software developer support.

If any of your applications required more processing power than the current Pandora, then how would you even consider yourself "support"ing it? And all software would be identical across the 2 separate sets of hardware. Everything would be compatible without requiring modification or recompiling. It's not like a new Windows OS or the next generation of PC hardware, in terms of software developer support.
Yes, exactly. The point I intend to make is that we should just accept diversity in the hardware and upgrades over time. It might be hard to swallow for batch one customers still waiting for their unit, but in the long run it is better for the Pandora.

I would fully support any changes in hardware if (and only if) it is no longer called the Pandora, but the Pandora MkII. I really admire the Pandora project because although every Pandora is slightly different, mostly it's the same specs and the same hardware configuration, which means we can toss aside all the crap about hardware compatibility and just focus on making great software. If we go and "beef up" one group of Pandorae, the other is naturally crippled. It's just the way things work. If "THE PANDORA" comes to mean 1GHz by default, then 2Ghz, etc., most all efforts at optimisations below that will stop. This is not good.

I'm currently fretting over both this and money issues regarding the approaching fall quarter at the Institute, and I'm actually not sure which is making me sick to my stomach at this point.

If the current Pandora we've been waiting on for years becomes 'obsolete-by-announcement' before we even get it, then surely that's the final kick in the nuts after years of 'abuse' (in a consumer-esque way, obviously).

If the current Pandora we've been waiting on for years becomes 'obsolete-by-announcement' before we even get it, then surely that's the final kick in the nuts after years of 'abuse' (in a consumer-esque way, obviously).
If it means someone gets it a month later then I do that would suck monkeyballs. I feel a whole new type of premiums coming up.

Pay $150 more and get a faster processor and more ram or get the old model about the same time the new one gets shipped.

I'm getting popcorn if there really is going to be a faster one, this should be entertaining.

There is nothing fixed yet, it's just an idea.

I justed posted a big new update explaining things.

IF we go for it, then the ones still waiting for their unit would get the new CPU as well.

That's what I'm trying to achieve!

Don't worry guys, I'll summarize everything up and will tell you what will happen as soon as I find time.

It's so much that I don't even know where to start :)

ED, trust me .. lot of people are ready to pay a PREMIUM SERVICE (7 days fix). Start giving the option: 50 USD (or less) and your Pandora fixed in 7 days! If some hosting companies offer this , you pay 20 and they answer your issue URGENT, or you can wait 24 hs to get an answer FOR FREE, how don´t offer as an option?

;)

Also the EXTENDED WARRANTY is another service you can offer as some netbook support services. What about wen our Pandoras pass the 1 year warranty? Ok: extend your warranty 1 year for 100 USD more. Makes sense? (all this is very common with netbooks, why don´t with Pandora?)

Exactly this should not happen, never! The Chip update shouldn't make the older units useless. Backward compatibility is a must. We know this from various Handhelds, a newer NDSi doesn't kill the game compatiblity for the older units. It's not hard to do, our devs just have to code with the 600MHz of the standard clocking in mind. A faster Pandora always can simulate a slowerone so devs can always test this.

Whoops, sorry. I completley have overseen this, I shouldn't read and write in to many threads at the same time. XD

How much enjoyment have you gotten out of it so far? Would you enjoy it less if someone else was able to do something you can't? Does the swing set at your local park suddenly suck just because the fair ground opened up across town and you can't get a ticket? No! It is just as much fun today as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow!

How so? Seems the same to me. I paid for something, I got it, I've been using it. If someone pays the same price as me but gets something better over a year after I did, how can I complain? I've had a year of use where this other person had nothing, and their benefit is not causing me any detriment.

I don't give a damn about their benefit. I give a damn about my lack of one. Now, I'm not gonna ragequit or threaten to sue or something, but come on. I do feel that if these improved boards were to become a reality, that I am entitled to one for a modest fee at the very least. What would REALLY piss me off would be having to buy a whole new unit at full price. I could live without the fancier paint, though.

Dude, grow up a little. You've got a sweet bike and now you're complaining because your neighbour got an ATV. You want to take it back to the shop and demand an upgrade because it isn't good enough anymore?

The better units would not make yours any worse, it will continue to function as well as it did before, and will continue to do so into the future. Christ, it's the whole "I feel ripped off because I can only overclock to 700Mhz" argument all over again.

Back