Preparing for Germany (2011-08-26)

It's a good job you've cancelled your order - can you imagine how much it would sting to be downloading most of your software from Mr Milkshake? :)
>implying I'd care

>implying that I'd be able to read his English in said software

Of course you care - you keep replying ;-)

Milkshake's English isn't in question in this instance - he owns/hosts the most active Pandora software repo to date, so yes, you'd be getting software from him :)

D.

seriously Radical, pick your battles, or at least know your opponent

Honestly, and I don't mean to point the finger at anybody in particular (as we all know there have been more than a couple unfortunate setbacks), with the Pandora taking so long to produce it doesn't seem that it would be incredibly worth it to keep waiting much longer. I do understand that the specs aren't so integral to what it was made to do, but I feel like I might be able to get away with simply getting a good game pad and a netbook. Hey, it wouldn't be the same, but at least it would be on my doorstep in two weeks. I don't know about everybody else waiting here, but if I see any CC-like problems coming out of the new production company, I'll drop my order faster than you can say "Fool me once...." I do fully expect the traditional "If you don't like it then just cancel" response, but I thought I'd at least throw in my two cents.

Honestly, and I don't mean to point the finger at anybody in particular (as we all know there have been more than a couple unfortunate setbacks), with the Pandora taking so long to produce it doesn't seem that it would be incredibly worth it to keep waiting much longer. I do understand that the specs aren't so integral to what it was made to do, but I feel like I might be able to get away with simply getting a good game pad and a netbook. Hey, it wouldn't be the same, but at least it would be on my doorstep in two weeks. I don't know about everybody else waiting here, but if I see any CC-like problems coming out of the new production company, I'll drop my order faster than you can say "Fool me once...." I do fully expect the traditional "If you don't like it then just cancel" response, but I thought I'd at least throw in my two cents.

Well, OpenPandora sell the iControlPad which, if emulation and portable gaming is all you need, is a good way to spend any money you might recoup from a Pandora refund. Although If you cancel now, you've effectively lost money ( assuming you had alternatively invested that money in something like a bank account )

I believe it's still worth waiting, there's clearly still interest in and demand for the Pandora; just look at the Trading forum!

If you paid £199 ( I paid £280, I think waaay back when ) then you're going to make your money back and then some with ease if you should decide that you don't like the Pandora, or can't afford it. But it's a bit of a risk... although even if some competitor to the Pandora miraculously popped up, it would be several years before it had software worth a damn.

And, yes, if the new production company has problems a lot of us are likely to suffocate from excessive face-palming.

With the iControlPad selling well, and several years experience under their belts I would feel confident to say that OpenPandora will get it right this time, but it's still going to take many months to get production underway anyway. And there will be problems, but they will likely be resolved swiftly enough for us never to need hear of them.

edit: a 1ghz cpu will decrease or not the battery autonomy? if yes: a lot or not?
An idle CPU clocked at 1Ghz will use about the same power as an idle CPU at 500Mhz. The 1Ghz speed will consume a little more power if it is being run 100% but that's true even now if you overclock.

Too true!

I paid for a concept that made sense, it exceeded my requirements for it's form factor.

That's why i paid for it.

I am a patient man, just an email would have helped.

People assuming this 'i deserve a free upgrade' gibberish need to slap themselves.

We all signed on to it, just a shame some of us for longer than others.

Some foresaw the hardships and some didn't bother.

Still a sound product.

That said i still don't have one in my grubby little mits!

no news from CC for their activities these last 2 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
everybody says an upgrade won't happen until a long time because there is a stock of processor already paid. Fair enough. But I'm still wondering why an upgrade can't be made, if there is enough people ready to pay a few more for a better processor?

The deal is that I paid for a Pandora at it's current speed, but I would surely pay more to have the new processor.

Everything is about money. OP team could count how much an upgrade would cost, and see if enough person would be interested in it.

If not enough person interested or if the price is too high, ok forget it because it's impossible. But perhaps it should be affordable for people motivated enough to pay the price for it. The other would have the current processor at the price they paid for it.

I'm not sure if it's feasible or not. Forgive me if not, I'm juste asking a question and will be happy with the pandora as it is if it's not possible or unwanted :)

If people paid more for a Pandora with a better SOC to compensate OP for the lost investment in the 600Mhz chips, they would still have 4000 old chips. would it be better to use the old ones for a cheaper model if they can't be resold to another project?

everybody says an upgrade won't happen until a long time because there is a stock of processor already paid. Fair enough. But I'm still wondering why an upgrade can't be made, if there is enough people ready to pay a few more for a better processor?

The deal is that I paid for a Pandora at it's current speed, but I would surely pay more to have the new processor.
It's possible. We're just waiting for ED to get pricing.

Everything is about money. OP team could count how much an upgrade would cost, and see if enough person would be interested in it.

If not enough person interested or if the price is too high, ok forget it because it's impossible. But perhaps it should be affordable for people motivated enough to pay the price for it. The other would have the current processor at the price they paid for it.

I'm not sure if it's feasible or not. Forgive me if not, I'm juste asking a question and will be happy with the pandora as it is if it's not possible or unwanted :)

As has been stated already - there are two reasons. First, they have an enormous stock of OMAP 3530s which they need to use up. There won't be an upgrade until they're gone. Secondly, the "upgrade" isn't a drop-in replacement for the CPU package - the board will have to be tweaked or redesigned to accommodate it. And you guessed it, they already have a shitload of boards ready to go designed for OMAP 3530s.

So no matter how much you hint at how you'd be willing to pay, if you pre-ordered in batch 1 or 2 (or bought a premium) then you're getting 600MHz and that's that.

D.

If people paid more for a Pandora with a better SOC to compensate OP for the lost investment in the 600Mhz chips, they would still have 4000 old chips. would it be better to use the old ones for a cheaper model if they can't be resold to another project?
This would not happen for some time, and only then if a substantial number of customers paid for an upgrade to a faster CPU, leaving old chips unused.

Secondly, the "upgrade" isn't a drop-in replacement for the CPU package - the board will have to be tweaked or redesigned to accommodate it. And you guessed it, they already have a shitload of boards ready to go designed for OMAP 3530s.
The batch 2 boards haven't been made yet. They could make different boards.

The real issue is that the 600MHz chips are in stock, and the 1000MHz chips would have to be ordered. So even if someone is willing to pay for an upgrade to the faster processor, they could be waiting a while to get it.

Do we know how long they would take to order (if all other problems involving new Socs were dealt with)?

Two MonthsTM?

ED,

Will the same company be making the newer style cases in China?

Any word on socketable nubs?

Thanks for the update? 50 at a time is going to put a dent in 800 remaining. Lets hope CC follow through with the order.

no news from CC for their activities these last 2 weeks?

Next 50 PCBs shipped.
Any Idea if they ever get more Units out than only 50 at the same time? Seems that their Output gets less and less, I guess they just need ages to test the Pandora Board to prevent bad surprises. If they really had seted up their Pandora Board production correctly, these endless QC's of every part of the Board could've been avoided I guess. When I remember back, they need around a year for testing and setup of the production, exactly to avoid such problems they have now. Seems, that a Year was not even close enough to only have a low faliure rate comparable to common standards today.

Well, they are now repairing boards that failed in the production run, that does take a while.

The quantity depends on what's broken.

Some stuff is easy to find and fix so it doesn't take long while other stuff takes ages.

Well, they are now repairing boards that failed in the production run, that does take a while.

The quantity depends on what's broken.

Some stuff is easy to find and fix so it doesn't take long while other stuff takes ages.

Hi ED,

Doesn't CC have a whole new set of production to run for batch 2? Why can't they have the new PCB's manufactured and populated while the batch 1 boards are (slowly) repaired? There is plenty of more money for CC to make from the project if they would just produce boards..

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't CC have a whole new set of production to run for batch 2? Why can't they have the new PCB's manufactured and populated while the batch 1 boards are (slowly) repaired? There is plenty of more money for CC to make from the project if they would just produce boards..
You did not read any of the recent news here, huh?

I'd suggest to start with this one:

I think this will answer your questions :)

Back