Preparing for a Prototype

Nobody meantioned Cast Away as Meme??

That was when Chuck Noland was delivering the Pandora, here is a scene from before he threw the Pandora into the sea:
wilson_pandora.jpg

Fedex in 2019

Funny, my phone was 7 years old when I pre-pre-ordered my Pyra, and I kept using that phone up until last year when I replaced it with a Nokia branded (but not really) 8110 4G phone, which I'm still using. Mind you, the computer I'm typing this on is older than either now I think, although I can't find the purchase receipt presently to confirm, but the model came out over ten years ago now, and I think I bought it pretty much as soon as it was available back in the day.
Nothing got better.

MEM is apparently FedEx's main north american distribution point, so it's good news it's got that far, but it's probably got a couple more steps at least till it gets to the local rounds I guess.

MEM is apparently FedEx's main north american distribution point, so it's good news it's got that far, but it's probably got a couple more steps at least till it gets to the local rounds I guess.
Yes - this overnight priority shipment that was originally scheduled to be delivered Tuesday morning by 10:30 AM US Central time is now slated for delivery Friday. Yes, there was a rather major holiday in there, which I could see making it slip to Thursday. But to slip to Friday? Ahh well, not much to be done about it. I have re-arranged my work calendar again so I can be here to sign for it. I won't be able to do much beyond that until the weekend though.

One was delivered Monday - see above, they put up a few pictures of it.
Mine and two others were shipped Monday - we know the status of mine. The other two?

To control expectations - I do not do videos or voice overs. I will take and post a few pictures, though, and give my thoughts around it - in text - after it arrives - when I have time (hopefully some this weekend) - which is in short supply these days. One or more of the other three may very well beat me to it, which is entirely acceptable.

And now, after I rearranged my schedule for the stated Friday delivery, it is on a truck this morning for signature delivery. I just got done re-re-scheduling stuff so I can be here to sign for it.

I will not be able to do much this morning beyond making sure it all gets here. May be able to take a picture or two of the box contents tonight.

Sorry for the Hiatus ...
Christmas Day was quite hectic and I am recovering from it :D Turkey and all ....
I will try and post a video tonight ..

First Impressions

I am not a Power user our Linux expert with regards to compiling. I don't usually do reviews or have an agenda here.
Just wanna say it how it is

My first Impressions are I can't express how good the `Keyboard ,shoulder triggers and overall feel of the `Pyra is. Light enough to be truly portable and the screen is joy to use. So glad this is not a 1080p screen as the text would of been to small.

Linux peeps will feel right at home. Joypad is perfect and peeps who use to love there gameboys. I am not joking in saying that the feels better then a gameboy or GPD win 2 . ED you have done a incredible job. I really so far am trying to nitpick something as that is my nature and I can't find anything wrong with the build quality.

If the Prototype feels this good the production release will be amazing. Nubs as good as a 3DS and very responsive and not as loose as the pandora..(dead zone wise) Haven't configured the nubs yet but they are very smooth :)

Touch screen is so much more responsive then the Pandy. My first Pandora was quite responisve the 2nd one screen on the 1ghz model was a lot less but this screen puts both of them to shame. I loved my Panda for retro reasons and the fact is had a resistive display. Capacitive touchscreens are the norm nowadays and there are times when you need to scribble on a screen it feels more satisfying.

Stylus has a satisfying click when inserted.
The boot time is so quick its actually faster then any other handhelds I have. Such as a win or pandora
Even gives your android phones and iPhones a run for its money. :)

Obviously the software will need some work but will improve with time if the community gets together ;) but the fact that it works out of the box and its really nippy the only issue I have had was the setup and that was setting up all the locales and I thought the machine had hung. Cant comment on battery life as I have it connected to the mains but if its anything like the Pandora I will be happy.

Screen viewing angles are great ....The screen quality perfect.Screen stays open at the right angles Connected my USB Drive and devices...reads everything perfect. Havent tried the Mini VGA yet but will tonight.

Love the Fact we still have a normal volume control :D

Only Gripe I have come across so far .....To touch the the very corners of the screen you have to have calibrated the screen correctly and you have be accurate when you pressing the menu button. `I think this is more of a configuration issue. ( And I am really trying to nitpick here) But its not a biggie and seriously when you see the incremental improvements over the pandora. The status lights and lit keyboard which is something which is so useful for the person who loves using a handheld at night.

Is this potentially the perfect handheld.... for me..... Yes.... If you want to play AAA games I can see why peeps would pick a `GPD Win 2 ...(Windows Users) .but for this is just right balance as emulation /work /mobile device especially if you are a linux user. There will be people out there who prefer that. But for a programmer or emulation device I can see this being perfect. Web browsing is works surprisingly well and for typing its great I am typing this post now on the Pyra.

ED : I have been using a standard micro usb charger and cable with 5v for charging ( is that ok?) Was not sure whether to use a Samsung Fast charger.

PS: Stella works great :) cant wait to see how other emulators develop on this

Ed I think you have pulled it off :) Truly a labour of love which has paid off. Pre orders and other prototype users Its partytime. ( In 2 months of course )

Even My Cat loves it

To be Continued .....

Attachments

• P1330452.JPG
    P1330452.JPG
    659.1 KB · Views: 418
  • P1330479.JPG
    P1330479.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Cat looks a bit ambivalent about being the starring feature to me. That's the ears down pose. Bit that gripe doesn't detract from one of the most memorable pictures yet from this project.

Reactions: rSl
Thanks @funkyarif
Cute cat - useful for scale :)

Looking forward to seeing a video from you, assuming you have time, and are still inclined to do so :)

I will get some vids up on youtube later.... ;) Just trying to figure out some things on it....

Cat looks a bit ambivalent about being the starring feature to me. That's the ears down pose. Bit that gripe doesn't detract from one of the most memorable pictures yet from this project.

Actually have 3 Cats ...One was scared of the Pyra and the other wanted to eat it no joke .....

Thanks @funkyarif for the review.
It makes waiting easier and harder at the same time and is really appreciated.
@Grench I feel ya. I imagine the wait for my Pyra to arrive after getting the tracking ID.
Please keep us updated!

Fingers crossed it won't be long now.... I have total faith in ED that 2020 will be the year of the Pyra....
Post automatically merged:

Box has arrived. Off to work I go. More in about 8 hours or so maybe.

Grench..... Have you finally got your baby :)

Back