Preparing for a Prototype

As of this morning it was scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

New scheduled delivery date is now Friday.

ED had it in system by 5 AM Garching DE time.
FedEx picked up there at 3:27 PM.
Left FedEx Origin Facility at 7:15 PM.
7:47 PM Garching DE "Package received after FedEx cutoff "

Miss the cutoff anywhere along the lines inside the system, package gets delayed three days. Got to love what the holiday season does to package deliveries. Hope the other two that went out today had better luck winding their way through.

Entirely not ED's fault. After the delivery finally gets here, though, I would support ED in clawing back whatever he can from FedEx for the 'overnight delivery' up-charge - while getting 4-day delivery if he wants to pursue it.

Glad it isn't perishable. Can you imagine if this were seafood?

Thats not fair ...Ed should get a refund ...Shouldnt Fedex make that obvious ? I hope the others have had better luck

Reactions: rSl
Oh, that's a bummer :( I especially ordered it to be overnight priority to make sure it arrives before christmas.
I'll contact FedEx for sure.

You're still awake? You were filing for shipping at 5 AM your time - I'm assuming that means that you were up all night. FedEx picked up at 3:30 PM - which means you've been up all day. Get some rest! :)

I wonder if the other two got caught in the same missed flight / delay. You could look it up if you're curious too. You may have just paid ~150 EUR or more for overnight delivery up-charges and got 4 day+ ?

I hope the other two managed to weave and dodge through that sorting facility quicker.

I didn't file it 5am, it was 2pm :)

Right now I'm having a fine dinner in a greek restaurant.
One of the other two probably has the same issue (FedEx to US as well), the other one won't receive it before Fridays anyways (UPS Standard shipping to Germany) - though I could've delivered that in person (he lives around 30km away from my parents, where I'll spend christmas)

Don't worry about the shipping costs. Normal shipping would've been 51 EUR for me, priority next day is 57 EUR :)

But still - priority is priority, so this is something to complain about.

Hilarious. That means that FedEx put two different time zones unlabeled in the same column of the report. You would think that a worldwide shipping company would be sensitive to the concept of time zones and label accordingly. Glad you weren't up all night - enjoy the Baklava!

Code:
[LIST]
[*]Monday , 12/23/2019
7:47 pm
GARCHING DE
Picked up
Package received after FedEx cutoff
[*]7:15 pm
GARCHING DE
Left FedEx origin facility
[*]6:41 pm
GARCHING DE
In transit
[*]3:27 pm
GARCHING DE
Picked up
[*]4:55 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx
[/LIST]

So the question is, is Grench all prepared for a prototype yet? I'm thinking mainly along the lines of sd cards and SIM card.
I have a 200GB microSDXC card, other microSDXC cards, tiny USB 2.0 microSDXC readers, many SDXC cards, a Google Fi SIM card (data only - starting point for that), a seven port USB 3.0 hub w/ Gigabit Ethernet, a Avegant Glyph HDMI head mounted display (unopened, and no I'm not going to post up any pictures of me wearing the thing), bluetooth mechanical keyboard, bluetooth mouse, headsets aplenty, the entirety of the Stargate movie and TV series as .iso files from the DVDs, . You may check off the 'has gadgets and gizmos' box.

Time? That is an entirely different matter. I had hoped to find a few hours to sneak away and fiddle with my new computers over the holiday - I guess I'll have to spend that time with family instead.

@ptitSeb Any chance you could put a Pyra compile of Vulture's Eye (or derivative) together for the Pyra? This is an oddball isometric interface for Nethack (and others) that we had on the Pandora. It isn't in the Debian repository, was at one time Open Source / Free, but the most recent versions (name change to Vulture?) seem to be in some weird quasi-state of licensing.

Alternatively, we could use this as an opportunity to see if we can teach Grench how to compile on the Pyra from downloaded source code.

Regarding Box86 - I wonder if it can handle the X86 Steam for Linux version of Baldur's Gate EE.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Linux system requirements (minimum)
  • Memory:512 MB
  • Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce 6200
  • CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo U7600
  • File Size:3 GB
I suspect they are erring on the safe side with those specs. I played the original release version of this WWAAAYY back when on a Pentium Pro 180.

Is there a Box86 getting started guide?

Grench's Pyra FedEx update:
10:39 pm
MUNICH AIRPORT DE
In transit

Vulture Eyes, I think I had a build on the Pandora. I haven't looked what it would need to get on the Pyra (I suspect not much).

Box86 is very easy to build (there are not much dependancies, check the github page for a guide to build it). Keep in mind the OpenGL driver is software mesa for now. So it will be quite compatible but pretty slow (still, I can get a somehow playable WorldOfGoo on the Pyra with mesa).

But still - priority is priority, so this is something to complain about.
ed_getting_money_back.jpg

edit: cleanup of the image.

source1 source2 source3

Last edited:
ed is looking more scarier than Jason Vorhees

I hope this thing emulates well, I have sold my entire collection of retro handhelds (except GP2X and GPD XD) to save up for it so I'll be a little disappointed if it struggles to emulate megadrive full speed

No offence but who is this funkyarif? He has only 40 messages and he's got a pyra!

ED is Slaanesh one of the devs for a device? He is working on Xmame2.0 which is taking forever but with a Pyra in his hands, this might give him motivation to release it on Pyra first and make it the first device with the new Xmame which would be awesome

Last edited:
I've already seen evidence of a pyra prototype running megadrive games (albeit without any kind of scaling at the time), and it coped with ease. I'd hope the pyra will be able to cope with everything the pandora could which in terms of emulation is everything from the zx spectrum to the dreamcast at the very least in the opening salvo of emulator releases.

I've already seen evidence of a pyra prototype running megadrive games (albeit without any kind of scaling at the time), and it coped with ease. I'd hope the pyra will be able to cope with everything the pandora could which in terms of emulation is everything from the zx spectrum to the dreamcast at the very least in the opening salvo of emulator releases.

That's good to hear and I can't wait for the Pyra reviews . The major reason why I want Pyra is because having a keyboard and powerful cpu, I want emulation of old 8bit and 16bit computer systems. The Amiga A1200 and Sharp X6800 and other 16bit computer systems emulated at fullspeed will make it worth owning. Consoles emulation does not require a keyboard and can be done on traditional handhelds but would still be very very nice to have on the Pyra.

Arcade emulation is another major reason I want Pyra and I hope Slaanesh releases his long awaited XMAME2.0 on it.

Back