Preparing for a Prototype

FWIW, I don't think I've heard of this 'screen door effect' problem from anyone but you. I thought the issue ED was having with the touchscreens was their introducing too much softness, quite a different problem to screen door.

ED's post here:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/one-week-with-the-pyra.77116/
LCD / Touchscreen:

Well, since it can't all be rainbows all the time, here is my currently biggest concern.
The LCD is great, but I'm not happy with the touchscreen yet.

It is VERY grainy, sadly, it decreases the picture quality quite a bit.
So that's something we need to fix.

The bad thing is: 1000 LCDs exist with that touchscreen already applied to, so they need to be reworked.
This is going to cost us a bit (probably between 5000 and 10.000 USD), but it seems we can't prevent that...

How did that happen? Well, when we tested the touchscreen, the OS we were using had a black background. And you don't see the grain before black, only with bright colors.
So when we approved it, we thought it was good... but now, when running the normal OS, I can see it isn't.

Well, I'm trying to find out who the manufacturer of Pandoras touchscreen is (the last ones were also custom made for us), as that one really really rocks.

I guess even if you try to do your best, some fallbacks happen... and here it seems we didn't test it good enough (though I have to admit I've never seen so much grain in ANY touchscreen I've ever seen, so I didn't expect that and we mostly tested the function of it).

Besides cost (and more work for me), it shouldn't do any delays, as replacing the touchscreens can be done within a week and the leadtime for the PCBs is a lot longer.

So, I'm mostly content with the Pyra right now, except for the touchscreen (which really frustrates me right now!), but we'll get that right as well!

Did that get figured out? If so I missed the note on it and was assuming that the prototypes would have those issues.

Edit:
And ED's comment here:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/cases-colors-and-emails.77466/page-2
Edit: I'd hope that should some showstopper hardware faults be found, ED would be willing to send out replacement boards to the prototype orderers given how much you've paid, but he hasn't said that so I guess I shouldn't suppose.
Yes, I mentioned that before. But if we already KNOW that there are some minor faults, we rather send these to developers (as it doesn't stop them to work on them) then to someone else who rather wants a fully working prototype. :)

I suspect I fall into the, "wants a fully working prototype", particularly if it frees up a unit, "we rather send these to developers (as it doesn't stop them to work on them)".

Happy birthday to my prototype pre-order! I placed my prototype pre-order on October 19th, 2015.

Current project status is:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/comprehensive-status-update.78390/

Just a few musings - nothing major for me to report on.

It has actually been a fun year. It is amazing how many details need to be worked through to make a device like this a reality. The fact that we all know so many of those details and have watched the progression in such detail is rather unprecedented.

Placing an early pre-order then watching the project progress actually adds a value that is hard to qantify. There is an entertainment factor that rests somewhere between sitting around a Japanese grill while watching a master performance chef preparing your dinner and standing at a roulette table waiting for the ball to stop spinning.

Several other gaming handheld companies have sprung up over the year. None of them have quite the intricacy of the Pyra though. The GPD Win is an interesting concept, but that keyboard, lack of ports, lack of expansion, lack of 4G - it isn't truly a Pyra competitor so much as another device in the space. PGS and SmachZ have both come along, left, returned and mutated. Still, none of them truly compete with the Pyra concept. The GPD Win, PGS and SmachZ emphasize handheld PC gaming - but have all made sacrifices that degrade the mobile handheld computer capabilities.

Years and years ago - it has been a truly long time - I justified my Pandora purchase on the basis of what it could do beyond games. I used it heavily for remote desktop, SSH, copying photo files between SD cards, reading/writing USB sticks - and yes, played a few games along the way. Those same reasons for buying a Pandora apply to the Pyra.

So, I'm $1700 and a year into the wait. Do I wish prototype production could have happened sooner? Yes and no. Greed for wanting my new toy says yes, practicality says no. I plan to -use- my prototype. Having it be closer in spec and function to the mass production systems has an advantage that should pay back over the years I plan to use it. That I was able to help support the project is a plus too.

Back to waiting...

i just wanted to add that if yiu haven't already bought the 200gb microSD SanDisk card, to not rush it. People already using that on the Win say its write speed is pretty low. If you mostly read I guess it won't matter much but it's good to know nonetheless.

Can we come up with some kind of hurtful pejorative to call the people that get a prototype before us unwashed plebs? You know, just to help us from feeling so jealous?

how about "those dang helpful deep-pocketed developers and testers willing to support such an awesome project"

i just wanted to add that if yiu haven't already bought the 200gb microSD SanDisk card, to not rush it. People already using that on the Win say its write speed is pretty low. If you mostly read I guess it won't matter much but it's good to know nonetheless.
I did buy one - but it went into my wife's phone. Performance on it has been perfectly adequate for her music, pictures, video recording, etc.

One of the Pyra specific applications I would like to see developed early on is a media speed tester. I.e. a program that can measure, log and if the user consents to upload the speed of SD and microSD cards and how they perform in which of the 3 slots. We tried to do something like that in the early Pandora days - but it was far more ad-hoc and manual - and that was in the days when the Pandora's SD slots (20MB/s theoretical limit) were faster than the majority of the cards on the market. These days the cards are far faster than the Pandora so it isn't as much of an issue.

With the Pyra, though, we'll have a scenario again where the slots are as fast or faster than many of the cards out there. Having a system for media speed reporting and consolidation would be good - it would help people know what they're buying on the media cards.

Can we come up with some kind of hurtful pejorative to call the people that get a prototype before us unwashed plebs? You know, just to help us from feeling so jealous?
As far as I know, I'm the only one of the prototype pre-orders to go public. It wouldn't be the first time I've been called names, but is it necessary? You're welcome to be jealous, but keep in mind I/we laid down substantial money over a year ago in support of the project and so far only have the entertainment of watching the development from the same distance as everyone else. So - jealous or sorry for us or just enjoy the ride too?

how about "those dang helpful deep-pocketed developers and testers willing to support such an awesome project"
Thank you - that encapsulates the spirit of my purchase.

Thats not nearly hurtful enough. You're not even trying.
ProtoPyrates ?
Since there is only one of us to target - the rest have been quiet about it - should that be plural? Does it sound right to say, "Grench is the ProtoPyrate?" Not like I stole anything - and I was/am last in line of the prototype purchasers after all.

Pyrate/Pirate implies unlawful acquisition. The pre-orders (Prototype, pre-pre and pre) have all put substantial amounts into and in support of the project. None of us are getting something for nothing. However, I can't seem to think of a term for that.

And yes, I understand the humor intended and have relatively thick skin. Have fun with it.

Poor You, hopefully Receiving A prototype.

Thanks for kickstarting it.

You're welcome, fixed that for you though as there is still some uncertainty. I'm last in line, so it is dependent on there being enough successfully populated and working units coming out of this next prototyping phase.

Glad I read the whole post. I was honestly worried for a second.

Thank you for your service and deep pockets, Grench!

...ya filthy pyrotyper.

Maybe just "ya prototyper" if said with the appropriate derisive sneer and disdain? I bathe - daily - really - except when camping - unless it rains - or I fall into a river - which has happened - intentionally or not.

Since Grench is the only known proto-order, we can just refer to him as "Grench". That alone should be a big enough insult. ;)

dependent on there being enough successfully populated and working units coming out of this next prototyping phase
But seriously, I think he said he's got 30 being populated to be sent to devs and proto orders. I seriously hope one makes its way to you, not only because you're an awesome guy that deserves it but also because if not that means there were a LOT of failures.

Since Grench is the only known proto-order, we can just refer to him as "Grench". That alone should be a big enough insult. ;)

But seriously, I think he said he's got 30 being populated to be sent to devs and proto orders. I seriously hope one makes its way to you, not only because you're an awesome guy that deserves it but also because if not that means there were a LOT of failures.
Thank you - I think? I thought I sniffed a bit of sarcasm on that compliment... :p

Keep in mind that this will be the second attempt at prototype board production. The first attempt went badly enough that, to my knowledge, none went to prototype purchasers. That isn't to say that the first round of prototype production was a failure - it was actually a success for it's primary intended purposes. Those boards enabled ED and team to find and - hopefully - solve issues that required changes at the circuit board level, facilitated case modifications, changed the processor SoC's physical shape, enabled solving and testing rotation without the rotation chip, enabled keyboard and controller testing & refinement and likely more.

ED's recent status update said that half of the 30 SoC boards would be populated with 2GB, half with 4 GB. I'm betting that a similar number of main boards will get populated too - but there will likely be another split with several examples of no 4G and EU4G and US4G. I'm betting that there will be far fewer with US 4G - reflective of the prototype pre-orders and developer population distribution. From what ED has stated before, I think there is an expectation that the Prototype pre-orders are supposed to be 'top of line', meaning 4GB/4G. If all of the examples come out 100% perfect(ish?) and the meld of memory and mobile options are representative of pre-order population's, that would be 2-3 or so made with 4GB RAM and US 4G. If the yield is substantively less...

I really want it to go off without a hitch - but then we all wanted the first round to go off without a hitch nearly a year ago. I'm looking forward to this next round of prototype board production with cautious optimism.

It has been a while since I last updated this thread. I thought those of you following along might find this amusing.

I have been approached again by someone wanting to buy my place in line for my prototype order. I am not interested in selling it. However, I'm not insanely wealthy and not an idiot. So, I have offered my place in line for 5x the $1700 that I prepaid. That works out to $8500. So, it will require an insanely wealthy idiot to buy it from me.

For whatever reason the individual thinks I should sell it to him for what I paid. That simply isn't going to happen.

But - the waters are churning. The latest news of some prototypes potentially getting built next week is generating a bit of buzz. Hopefully a picture of a table full of running Pyra prototypes will be forthcoming in the next week or two. I am looking forward to it.

If they really wanted it shouldn't they offer you something on top of what you paid? There are still some that may be auctioned off, so make sure to mention that to anyone else that tries to throw money at you. I am wondering how the auctions will be handled.

Those that bought the prototypes might have kept silent about it to avoid getting bothered with such offers. I am glad someone is willing to share their experiences with it, and provide the rest of us with something while we wait.

750 euros is enough for me to pay... 1,700 dollars man thats dedication. Best make some videos and tutorials grench when you receive your prototype.

as if paying the $1700 wasn't going to be enough of a contribution...

i don't have a very good camera, otherwise i'd say i could come down and video tape some stuff. on vhs.

Back