Preparing for a Prototype

What are some other large but potentially useful programs or databases?
what about the full snowden cache, if you can get a copy from mr. greenwald.
this way you can test a lot of security features 'in the field' too! ;)

And don't forget this for your prototype:

cpap150-xb_1.jpg

Reactions: rSl
I went ahead and purchased a Sandisk 200GB microSD card for $80 on Amazon. I needed another microSD card temporarily for another project anyway. Eventually I plan to put that in the Pyra.

A few other thoughts on larger data uses for the Pyra:

The entire Pyra Debian software mirror.

Locally mirror the Pyra app store (if possible/allowed).

Hmmm... what else?

PXE boot server. For booting different Linux live-systems/installers from Network and/or USB. Mobile Network Drive. Download the whole Wikipedia for offline reading. And everything on an RAID6 (by using loopdevices) to correct Bit-Errors.

I wonder if my geocities is in there somewhere maybe. Not that I could ever remember what it was.

same here...

[edit]
you could also build your artificial intelligence to make use of all those gigabytes for its memory.

Last edited:
Those need to be tested and added to the shop for a small markup. The Pyra needs to be done now so I can have an excuse to look for stuff to go with it. I will be using one of my SD cards from my Pandora to start off, but I still need a higher capacity one and maybe a big microSD. I got some pretty good cables for charging (and data transfer) since we needed them to quickcharge a smartphone and all the cheap cables kept getting trashed.

I hope Grench is excited since he might get a Pyra before the rest of us.

Wow - I'm glad I ordered that 200GB microSD card before the new Galaxy phone came out. Prices on those have suddenly jumped to $130+. They should settle back down though. It is interesting that the microSD slot is such a big sales point again. It just shows that on-device storage is still important - despite companies attempts to push user data onto their clouds. I'm pretty sure that 'monetizing cloud storage' was a big reason why the previous generation of Galaxy phones didn't have microSD slots.

And yes. I'm excited about getting a Pyra sooner rather than later. In theory, once ED has one fully working prototype, the others should be on their way shortly after. It depends a lot on how much they had to change/modify from the test run to where they're at now on the first prototype. Those same changes will need to be applied to the rest of the boards that were created. The changes may take an hour per unit - or a day per unit - I have no idea.

Me too. I wish I could see it when you get it, even if there is a "no touch" rule. Pictures and videos are great, but being able to actually see things in person and watch them live makes me happy

Any word back on what case color you are getting? I know you mentioned what you would probably be getting, just wondering if it was confirmed (I am probably jumping the gun).

Most likely dark red, though I would be perfectly happy with clear, other, a mix & match of clear and colors. If it is distinguished somehow from the general production units that is a bonus.

I suspect that there may be less flexibility in truly custom case colors than what the community in general believes. The materials, setup and production costs for my glow in the dark case idea would have quickly cost more than I spent on the Prototype. Given that, I suspect that most prototype cases will fall within the colors voted highest in a poll many months ago. It makes sense though. Prototypes are about testing - and case color & finish is one of those things to test.

So - I'm good with just about anything but pink for the case. I'm even good with a crazy quilt like mix & match of 2-10 different colors/types. (outer lid, inner lid, keyboard bezel, base, battery door, stylus & 4 triggers) could all be different. I'm not sure when I'll find out exactly what comes out of it - may not be until I open the box.

Some people seem to think that the prototype purchase units would need to be visually 'perfect' like those cars used in motor shows for announcing new models. To me, the case is a functional box to hold and protect the delicate electronics within it. It doesn't need to be cosmetically 'perfect' when I receive it because I'm going to use it. Dimension and structural perfection are, to me, more important than aesthetic finish for this.

I should put up a picture or two of my 1Ghz Pandora - it is showing it's miles. I re-cased my old CC unit, so it is actually in better shape. I could re-case my 1Ghz, but I hate dealing with the video cable twist through the hinge - it's a pain to get right.

It is odd to me that people freak out if their new phone has the slightest blemish in the corner of the back cover piece. To me that just gives it individuality. I don't purposely damage or mar my devices, but I don't cry if non-important bits get worn, scratched or dented.

Wow - I'm glad I ordered that 200GB microSD card before the new Galaxy phone came out. Prices on those have suddenly jumped to $130+. They should settle back down though. It is interesting that the microSD slot is such a big sales point again. It just shows that on-device storage is still important - despite companies attempts to push user data onto their clouds. I'm pretty sure that 'monetizing cloud storage' was a big reason why the previous generation of Galaxy phones didn't have microSD slots.
Not sure what you're on about. Everywhere I see, they're $80.

So - I'm good with just about anything but pink for the case.
Some of us should change our votes to ensure you get a pink case. :p

It is odd to me that people freak out if their new phone has the slightest blemish in the corner of the back cover piece. To me that just gives it individuality. I don't purposely damage or mar my devices, but I don't cry if non-important bits get worn, scratched or dented.
I used to be like that. Probably still am about some things. It is even odd to others that know me, and was pointed out to me when I got sad that I dropped something and it got run over by a car. I was told that I shouldn't be upset, because I like my things to look beat up and scratched...ya know, used, like they are mine, and have their own story. They were right, but I still try to keep my Pandora case, amongst other things, from getting scratched and cracked. Most of my smartphones (or their protective cases) look like shit, though.

Back