Post picks and first impressions of your shiny new Pandora here!

Thanks alot dewc those picks are awesome! I would welcome the smoke smell since I quit smoking two years ago after smoking for 14 years and kind of miss the smoke smell on my stuff without actually smoking... Cant wait till I get my Pandora so that I can start looking for a Unimog...

Overall, the unit is quite hefty, it feels almost as heavy as my netbook. It's also quite thick, but that's no problem for my coat.
It weighs about 2lbs (~ 1kg?)?? That's insane for a device this size. Or do you mean it's about as solid/dense as a netbook? e.g. Since it's, say, 1/4 the size of a netbook, it also weighs 1/4 the weight?

Reweighing my unit:

UPS envelope

internal bubble wrap envelope

security sealed cardboard box

Pandora Quick Start Guide

Extra Battery & Case

Complete Pandora (charger/usb, battery/case, & Pandora)

I'm at 819 grams, ≈90 grams shy of 2 pounds. Pandora alone with 2 SD cards and battery weighs 330g.

Since when do people count *extra* batteries (first one, absolutely) as part of the base weight of a product? Not to mention the bubble wrap and *box*??

If you want to throw in the charger, fine; case, maybe. But then you have to compare to an equivalent - in this case a netbook, also with the charger. In which case I again protest that the Pandora base weight of 330g (plus charger) could weigh the same as a netbook (~2 lbs), also with charger.

When looking at UPS tracking, package weighs 1kg/2 lbs. Maybe that is where two pounds came from. So that is why I weighed everything included initially.

When looking at UPS tracking, package weighs 1kg/2 lbs. Maybe that is where two pounds came from. So that is why I weighed everything included initially.

No, the 2 pounds came from me, after someone said it was almost as heavy as a netbook:

Overall, the unit is quite hefty, it feels almost as heavy as my netbook. It's also quite thick, but that's no problem for my coat.

I had trouble believing it was anywhere near that much (as you say - 330g), and asked for clarification.

Newsflash : Thanks to benji_stein, it is now safe to repurchase your bags of weed from Link by the accurate poundage (except for White Spider as his standards like himself are too high :) unlike his friendly prices)

I got mail. For realz.

This is a surrealistic feeling.

That is all for now. Review forthcoming when more than email arrives.

Here is mine before I had to return it but I should be getting my new one soon.

David...

pandora3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is mine before I had to return it but I should be getting my new one soon.

David...
Thanks for the pic, since you had one and are getting a new one I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the differences between the one you sent out and the new one you get. Alot of people are saying there are various differences between the older ones and the newer ones in build quality...

I will do the same thing..

Will post lots of pics also if you wish...

Newsflash : Thanks to benji_stein, it is now safe to repurchase your bags of weed from Link by the accurate poundage (except for White Spider as his standards like himself are too high :) unlike his friendly prices)
I could provide the best prices in the world for whole plant dried cannabis flowers, concentrates, extracts, and genetics. Too bad there are rules.

Sat at my desk with gmail popping up telling me ive got a new mail and each time being disappointed by the spam it is waiting for my pandora email to come, when someone in my office wanders in with a UPS box for me, its here :D wow wow wow, but since its a replacement my battery is at home, so have to wait till lunch to get it,

but thanks OP.

OK, I received it yesterday... I must say I'm a bit disappointed at the moment, but I realize that's because everything is still in some sort of beta stage... I really hope that development will gain some momentum now that shipping is finally running.

The hardware gave me a very good impression, especially the keyboard is much better than what I expected, it's really usable.

Software-wise, there is MUCH to do... The video player is unusable at the moment, it's VERY slow. Wifi connection works fine, but someone should try to port firefox mobile http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/ because the standard browsers are not really suited for horizontal resolutions lower than 1024...

Setting up your SD (i.e. running a bunch of mkdir) should be smoother, an icon like "prepare SD" would be very useful, but this is really minor, after you dig the information on the wiki.

Also I'd like to see an "organic" SDK, complete with emulator and chrooted environment, like the one you get for maemo or meego, but I'm aware that is a BIG piece of work.

Minimenu and PND are a bit "strange", I might get used to them, but I still can't find a way to access the readme inside the files... Once minimenu opened a text editor in the background, and it became visible only when I opened another application...

In general, as I said, I understand everything is just at the beginning. It's a bit of a shame, because it's really two years late and lots of other hardware is popping out everywhere, especially if the gaming side is not very important to you.

I hope I'll be able to devote some time to give a hand somewhere, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the information one needs to start.

We'll see what the next months will bring to us..

Theres some video player options; using command line mplayer with the right options makes it run significantly better imho, but the real trick will be when we shift towards hardware decoding, then it'll be a breeze. But ltos of work before we get to that point.

Most people (I assume) set up the SD either on their native PC (Windows say) or using the file browser in xfce; you're right, for minimenu users who set it up on pandora, they'd probably end up launching a terminal and mkdir'ing it, but I expect 90% of people did it on their PC. I forget if we have an icon to run the dir browser from minimenu .. if not, maybe should add it. I built a basic dir browser into minimenu (disabled by default), but it wasn't perfectly stable so I didn't release it yet, and not sure its the right thing for 'mini'menu. Adding a menu to the system that just creates a few directories might be a neat idea, or might justg be 'fluff' that you get annoyed by later, not sure. An excellent point though! (Could always put a piece of code into minimenu that when an SD is inserted, auto create those directories.. but I'm not a fan of 'voodoo magic', and what if you never intend to put pnd aps there, it'd be annoying.) So hmm.. since _everyone_ will have to look up where to put pnds, we shoudl do something about that.. hmm..

I don't see the need for a full VM/chroot SDK really; just set up a cross compiler (or download CodeSourcery and untar it.. you _literally_ up and going in 10 minutes; I noted about it in my blog, and it takes like 2 minutes after you download the files :) , but I appreciate folks will want an easy 'unzip and go' type setup. Still, its not really hard to get going now, so not a priority .. least for me :) Someone else can build that :) (A few people have, not sure whatever happened to those though.)

In minimenu, you jyst press Y for a icon, and if it has help, mm will kick off the browser and show the documentation the pnd has included. It will actually pop up another window with the browser. MAny pnds have crap documentation though which can be annoying, but thats not the pnd system or minimenus faults, just lazy packagers :)

jeff

I don't see the need for a full VM/chroot SDK really; just set up a cross compiler (or download CodeSourcery and untar it.. you _literally_ up and going in 10 minutes; I noted about it in my blog, and it takes like 2 minutes after you download the files :)

Link to your blog? I can't find it in your user profile here :-/

Back