Post picks and first impressions of your shiny new Pandora here!

Well, got my email yesterday and thought how am I going to manage at work today when my Pandora would be waiting for me at home?

Luckily (?!!?) enough - a taxi attempted to squash me this morning while I was cycling to work, spent most of the day in A&E and got back home an hour earlier than I would at work so not all bad :lol:

1st Impressions.... OMG! It's beautiful, it's amazing, it's been worth the wait. Honestly.

Apart from that, just getting to grips with finding out where everything goes and how everything works.

It's an excellent weight - just right. Screen is wonderful and you know, solidly built. Marginal bezel warp but the new shoulder buttons (as are the new nubs) are perfect.

Only problem I am struggling with is the Wi-Fi. First it wouldn't connect and after updating to the beta driver, it connects and then disconnects never to return which is a little annoying to say the least. Guess I'll have to keep trying it.

All in all.... WoW

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine monday evening, been toying with it for a little while. As far as impressions, I like it, the software is a bit rough around the edges, but mostly works, the hardware is awesome. Other than there being a bit of creaking if pressed in the top right hand of the base, and the l trigger not being as clicky as the r trigger, it works great. Wifi mostly works, speed varies, but livable. Mplayer being a bit buggy made me decide to roll my sleeves up and try to do a new build for it. Was somewhat surprised that the vlc pnd was built without xv support, at least, that's how it behaves on mine, don't know what happened there. :D . Screen is great, just as I had thought, reading manga on it is easily possible, nice crisp screen. A bit small but still legible, just hope we have a new kernel version soon so we can make full use of the dsp and have fun with multimedia on it. Battery life is everything I had hoped for, easily can last most of a day, though could still go for a bit better of a standby battery life, goes down a little quicker than I would like, but, the os still has a lot of kinks to be worked out. Overall, a great little device, a bit heftier than I imagined, but it just makes it feel more solid. :D

It has arrived, and it is LOVELY :lol:

I have a few doubts about the right shoulder button, but I haven't tested it so far. Apart from that, it feels fantastic. Being rather used to Linux, I feel entirely at home within XFCE. Now for a few NES and Genesis roms...*bliss*

It still feels a bit surrealistic that it is actually here, though :D

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

I got home on Wednesday to find the Pandora waiting for me. Opening the box was a very surreal experience, I half expected to find it empty!

Anyway, there was a real Pandora inside :) Build quality is much higher than I expected, it's really solid. The XFCE based distro is really pretty complete and MiniMenu is very easy to use. My expectations have been met or exceeded in almost every respect.

- I haven't experienced the old nubs for comparison, but the nubs on my unit are great! They feel good, give precise control.

- LCD is very nice, running a 480p avi on it looks superb.

- DPad and game buttons feel good, only really played Gianas Return so far.

- Quake II, at 800x480 with MiniGL is beautiful!

- USB devices work as they should, passport drive works perfectly, mouse needs a USB2.0 hub.

- Low power mode/standby is quick and works.

- Sound is a little bit better than I expected through the built-in speaker, and really good through headphones.

- I was able to pair with a Bluetooth A2DP speaker and play music through mplayer.

- WiFi is connecting at home and work perfectly well. Haven't made any speed test but it seems reasonable.

The only issue I have so far is that the time keeps going wrong, as if the RTC chip is not working. Maybe this is a known issue, I haven't researched it yet.

The only dissapointment is thet there really is no decent web browser option (that I have found), they are all buggy/crashy or slow. Chromium-dev is the best that I tried so far but regularly crashes. This will certainly improve with time.

Overall I'm REALLY pleased with my Pandora, the wait is almost forgotten and I'm just desperate to find enough time to put it throuigh its paces properly! Hopefully this weekend will be a good start :) After some of the negative posts in the past I had re-adjusted my expectations somewhat, but the truth is that it's better than I had ever expected!

Found a few small OS bugs so far (for example, the 'findsmb' script specifies the wrong path for perl) but nothing serious and we're still on the first major release (4th rev). I really hope that the community starts committing back now, I certainly plan to.

I got home on Wednesday to find the Pandora waiting for me. Opening the box was a very surreal experience, I half expected to find it empty!

Anyway, there was a real Pandora inside :) Build quality is much higher than I expected, it's really solid. The XFCE based distro is really pretty complete and MiniMenu is very easy to use. My expectations have been met or exceeded in almost every respect.

- I haven't experienced the old nubs for comparison, but the nubs on my unit are great! They feel good, give precise control.

- LCD is very nice, running a 480p avi on it looks superb.

- DPad and game buttons feel good, only really played Gianas Return so far.

- Quake II, at 800x480 with MiniGL is beautiful!

- USB devices work as they should, passport drive works perfectly, mouse needs a USB2.0 hub.

- Low power mode/standby is quick and works.

- Sound is a little bit better than I expected through the built-in speaker, and really good through headphones.

- I was able to pair with a Bluetooth A2DP speaker and play music through mplayer.

- WiFi is connecting at home and work perfectly well. Haven't made any speed test but it seems reasonable.

The only issue I have so far is that the time keeps going wrong, as if the RTC chip is not working. Maybe this is a known issue, I haven't researched it yet.

The only dissapointment is thet there really is no decent web browser option (that I have found), they are all buggy/crashy or slow. Chromium-dev is the best that I tried so far but regularly crashes. This will certainly improve with time.

Overall I'm REALLY pleased with my Pandora, the wait is almost forgotten and I'm just desperate to find enough time to put it throuigh its paces properly! Hopefully this weekend will be a good start :) After some of the negative posts in the past I had re-adjusted my expectations somewhat, but the truth is that it's better than I had ever expected!

Found a few small OS bugs so far (for example, the 'findsmb' script specifies the wrong path for perl) but nothing serious and we're still on the first major release (4th rev). I really hope that the community starts committing back now, I certainly plan to.

I've had my Pandora for a few months now, and I've found the latest version of Chromium (not the dev version), to be quite a good browser. Sometimes it does hang after a few minutes. The latest beta of Firefox 4 is good, a little slower to start up and load pages, but not by much. I will admit I've not used the Pandora for too many long internet sessions, mostly to download new PND's as they appear. :)

I've had my Pandora for a few months now, and I've found the latest version of Chromium (not the dev version), to be quite a good browser. Sometimes it does hang after a few minutes. The latest beta of Firefox 4 is good, a little slower to start up and load pages, but not by much. I will admit I've not used the Pandora for too many long internet sessions, mostly to download new PND's as they appear. :)
Thanks for the advice :) I'll give them both a try. I expect my internet usage will be the same as yours, it's never going to be comfortable for browsing for long, but a very convenient way to download PND's.

Wow! Thanks for the pics and the info guys! It seems like only yesterday when there weren't too many Pandoras around and now there's been a boom of them! Pretty soon we should be able to have "The Pandys" an award show dedicated to the best software of each type on the Pandora! Joking but it would be interesting to see which programs are used by most people...

Mine arrived at 07:35 this morning (Saturday!) via Royal Mail Special Delivery. It's here!!!!! :D

Will post more info and pics later (going out now) - but first quick thoughts:-

The screen hinge is tight and stays easily at any angle.

The battery wasn't seated properly at first - leading to strange charge/reboot issues. Re-seated and sorted now and charging properly.

The controls are sublime - everything feels great. The d-pad and nubs are really superb.

Slight bezel gap - I can see a bit of glue that should be holding it in place. Not an issue though.

Just fiddled with XFCE - very slick. Midori and Aurora have both crashed on me already though - so the first thing I'll do when I get back is work out how PNDs work and sort Firefox out.

Then emulation time ;)

Mine arrived at 07:35 this morning (Saturday!) via Royal Mail Special Delivery. It's here!!!!! :D

The battery wasn't seated properly at first - leading to strange charge/reboot issues. Re-seated and sorted now and charging properly.

The controls are sublime - everything feels great. The d-pad and nubs are really superb.

Slight bezel gap - I can see a bit of glue that should be holding it in place. Not an issue though.

Just fiddled with XFCE - very slick. Midori and Aurora have both crashed on me already though - so the first thing I'll do when I get back is work out how PNDs work and sort Firefox out.

Then emulation time ;)

Then emulation time ;)
I've used Midori extensively and it hasn't crashed on me yet. Both through mini menu and the full Os. You applied the hot fixes?

I've used Midori extensively and it hasn't crashed on me yet. Both through mini menu and the full Os. You applied the hot fixes?
Errrr.....no.

But then the OS image was only flashed to the NAND of my machine a few days ago. So surely it already has all the latest patches/hotfixes included?

:huh:

I got my despatch email on Thursday...so I should be posting my impressions right now, well I cant because it hasnt arrived. So much for 24hour RM Special Delivery.... Better bloody arrive on Monday! Knowing my luck its been lost in the fricken post

I got my despatch email on Thursday...so I should be posting my impressions right now, well I cant because it hasnt arrived. So much for 24hour RM Special Delivery.... Better bloody arrive on Monday! Knowing my luck its been lost in the fricken post

They will have some excuse as normal as to why they missed the 24 hour time - we never get the money back.

It's great to hear all these people receiving their pandoras and the fact they seem sorted now.

Craig, any news what order time we are upto?

Just wondering as I am an eager first day, fairly late at around 21.30, so just wondering how much longer.

Keep up the good work, it is great to see things finally going right for you guys.

They will have some excuse as normal as to why they missed the 24 hour time - we never get the money back.
Same thing happens in the states. They make you jump thru hoops, and give up your first born to get the delivery money back, and there is always a reason why it didn't happen. If they don't deliver when specified, they should refund no questions asked.

Chris

More impressions:

The controls are lovely! (bar the right shoulder button, which is non-functional. I'll deal with that soon-ish)

I haven't quite figured out the low-power mode yet, or the networking, but it'll come.

Pandora Panic is great fun! Picodrive, the FCE Ultra port and PCSX(or some permutation thereof)-reArmed is excellent as expected.

I've forgotten how to do composite characters, so I can't write "Å i åa ä e ö" ("and in the river, there is an island"). I'll have to start reading up on things.

All rather disorganized at the mo. I'll possibly get a proper review done later. But the main impression is this:

This is exactly what I have been waiting for, and it was well worth the wait and the drama. Thanks, guys!

And still no video made by any of the new pandora owners?

Back