Yet Another First Impressions Review

toastylynx

Still Fresh
After receiving the Pandora, I thought I may as well join the community, and what better way than to start a very common topic? 
DISCLAIMER: I only got the unit Yesterday, so these are very much first impressions, and nothing more! Also, I've not been sleeping well, which, when combined with my less-than-stellar writing skills, might not make for a fabulous post.

First, a brief explanation as to why I bought the thing:

It boils down to the usual. It's open, so I'm free to do what I please with it, even if it's something the device was not designed to do, it has real buttons, and a great big battery. It also runs Linux, which is very convenient for me, since now I can use the same programs as I use on my desktop and don't have to look for alternatives.

And now on to my first impressions:

It's pretty great! I unboxed it fairly quick, and in all the excitement, I appear to have lost the WiFi dongle I ordered. which is annoying because the internal WiFi is far from perfect. There was less messing with settings than I expected, and I was playing PS1 games pretty quick, which ran remarkably smoothly. F-Zero X, the only N64 game I care about, also ran quite well, which brings me on to all of those buttons on the thing.

The D-Pad is better than I expected, and I was actually able to pull of moves in fighting games, which strange because I'm normally hopeless at those. I still am hopeless, but not hopelessly so. The face buttons seem to respond rather well, and the unit has a decent mass to it. The keyboard is rather good and the nubs seem to work, once I got used to their auto calibration. Though, speaking of the nubs, the right one did make some rather worrying grinding sounds when I first moved it about, which seems to have stopped but now it's very loose, and doesn't seem to centre quite as well as the left one. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I should worry about this, I'd much appreciate it.

The touch screen also works rather well. It can be a bit fiddly to get around Xfce with the stylus, but that could just be me letting the stylus slip when trying to click, as it functions almost flawlessly in MyPaint. I've not tried any 'real' image editing in GIMP yet, but it shows the potential to function well beyond my artistic skill. Web browsing is rather responsive in Arora, but I've not extensively tested it due to the poor internal WiFi and image viewing in Viewnior is just as good as on my desktop.

Overall, I'm very happy and hope to continue being amazed at what it can do. I am still a bit worried about that right nub, but thankfully it doesn't seem to produce any unpredictable input and most games don't need it anyway. Thank you for reading, and extra thanks to those who reply. I hope to become a fully fledged member of the community as time goes on.

Web browsing is rather responsive in Arora, but I've not extensively tested it
You should really consider using qupzilla. It's even better than Arora. See http://www.pandoralive.info/?p=1198

Thank you for reading, and extra thanks to those who reply. I hope to become a fully fledged member of the community as time goes on.
I'd be interested to invite you to do a "My Days with the pandora" article on Pandoralive as a guest post :)

See : http://www.pandoralive.info/?cat=15

Please PM me. 

Welcome, it's always interesting to read this type of topics.

Welcome, nice to see new members.

You should not use the stylus for XFCE but the keyboard! That way it is much easier and quicker.

Hi & Welcome toastylynx.

Great to hear you're enjoying your Pandora.

You could use the input tester to test your right nub or try a quick game of Super Geometry Dust this should let you know if there is a problem.

Try and find that wifi dongle, buying one made a huge difference for me.

Have you tried PNDManager, it's the first PND I'd recommend to a new user.

Also if you have a decent hifi / set of headphones then try the Pandora for audio quality and be prepared to be amazed.

Have fun  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to check your nubs is to start a game of NubNub, and then pause it (press START in-game). The pause screen is actually a nub test screen that imo works better than the default input tester.

You really do not have to use your stylus when navigating through XFCE . I never do.

Welcome and best of luck.

Last edited:
Using the Pandora button and navigating the menus with the D-Pad and hitting enter is my preferred method of launching programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. The community is sure a buzzin lately. =)
Welcome, it's always interesting to read this type of topics.
Thanks for the welcoming! And thanks again for the reassurance that I am not (entirely) boring.

Welcome, nice to see new members.

You should not use the stylus for XFCE but the keyboard! That way it is much easier and quicker.
You really do not have to use your stylus when navigating through XFCE . I never do.

Welcome and best of luck.
Using the Pandora button and navigating the menus with the D-Pad and hitting enter is my preferred method of launching programs.

Yes, it seems like that is the way to go. Much less fiddly. Thank you for words of experience!

Hi & Welcome toastylynx.

Great to hear you're enjoying your Pandora.

You could use the input tester to test your right nub or try a quick game of Super Geometry Dust this should let you know if there is a problem.

Try and find that wifi dongle, buying one made a huge difference for me.

Have you tried PNDManager, it's the first PND I'd recommend to a new user.

Also if you have a decent hifi / set of headphones then try the Pandora for audio quality and be prepared to be amazed.

Have fun  :)
Another way to check your nubs is to start a game of NubNub, and then pause it (press START in-game). The pause screen is actually a nub test screen that imo works better than the default input tester.
The nub seems to work fine in both games, and I did some research and found out from the gp32x forums that a tad bit more pressure from the thumb helps the nubs operate. Considering I used to play Ratchet and Clank 3 with a PS1 DualShock with a left analogue stick that would register as extreme left if it wasn't pushed in another direction, I think I'll get used to the right nub on my Pandora. Much thanks for pointing me to two practical and fun nub tests!

As for the WiFi dongle, I can't for the life of me find it, so I took inspiration from xkcd, and ordered another one, but from a local source. I'll have to find a decent pair of headphones too, but to me at least, the sound is rather impressive just through the internal speakers. I can turn them right up and to my untrained ear, there's no detectable distortion.

Thank you all for the warm welcoming. I look forward to participating in the forums further. I hope what I've done in this post isn't considered quote-abuse. 

I only use the stylus when the nub settings are lost and I have to reload them.

It happens from time to time...

Back