Post picks and first impressions of your shiny new Pandora here!

If I get a chance, I'll post some pictures later. :-D

And here I have some pictures

First one is of the box it came in. Yes the one that smelled like cigarettes. :)

2011-01-07_18-01-13_444.jpg

First shot of taking it out.

2011-01-07_18-02-22_496.jpg

Ah yes, a first batch designation!

2011-01-07_18-03-24_662.jpg

Contra III

2011-01-08_22-34-00_76.jpg

Super Street Figther II.

2011-01-09_03-09-11_605.jpg

2011-01-07_18-05-56_465.jpg

My first impressions:

Whoever packed my system is a smoker. I was able to smell it and it was quite strong. I suspect this was packed by Craig himself. :)
Yikes. I'm one of the few that physically can't stand cigarette smoke (makes me ill). Guess I'll have to air it out somewhere for a while before using it when it arrives. Difficulty: it's winter in Canada, so I hope it doesn't get damaged.

How come gemrb isn't in the app store? I'm sure there is more software than what the app store has and it would be easier to show its capabilities
The most complete collection of Pandora software is on the wiki, covered in these 3 lists:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

http://pandorawiki.org/Games

http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

Most devs don't upload to the Appstore, and a lot of them don't upload to the File Archive either. So you're better off checking the wiki, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes. I'm one of the few that physically can't stand cigarette smoke (makes me ill). Guess I'll have to air it out somewhere for a while before using it when it arrives. Difficulty: it's winter in Canada, so I hope it doesn't get damaged.
Same here, that would be a MAJOR turn-off for me, please Craig and team don't smoke during assembly and packaging - that is just not good for your reputation (and health obviously).

It's easy to ruin an otherwise perfect first impression by something as simple as this.

On-topic: Thanks for the review and pictures, looking great :)

foxblock out

Not from what I could find, I had to make a video for a college assignment recently and I couldn't find anything that was even semi-usable. If anyone does find something I'd like to hear about it.
KDEnlive is about the best I've found... But may take some getting used to.

I don't smoke, the bags were just the bags the boards came in, we try to reuse them. They came from China via USA. I'll look in to it.

I'm planning a major appstore update when I get a few minutes, possibly today I hope.

I don't smoke, the bags were just the bags the boards came in, we try to reuse them. They came from China via USA. I'll look in to it.

I'm planning a major appstore update when I get a few minutes, possibly today I hope.

Oops! Didn't mean to get folks upset at you Craig, more just hoping it was hand packed by someone from the team. Craig's willing to look into this for you, how about that for service? :lol:

So far I've tried only emulators, but here I am now trying to grab a file with scp from a pc within my local network. My speeds are ranging 350-600KB/s. If improvements can be made, I am all for it, but honestly this quite good. Nothing to complain about. I think part of the speed fluctuations can be attributed to the SDHC card's own write speed, but I am not sure. Also being that it's scp there's overhead there itself too.

Good man.

Yeah I often times recycle packaging myself. It saves money, and helps the environment as well. I often times will dump out some of the more "used" materials, but if I had hundreds/thousands of supplies and units to ship, I'm sure I would use them to, smell or not. Technically a part of the units was already shipped in them, so the smell would still probably be there even if Craig used new supplies so why waste em.

Chris

Overall, the unit is quite hefty, it feels almost as heavy as my netbook. It's also quite thick, but that's no problem for my coat. I noticed some edges that are not very cleanly cut, but that's very minor nitpicking. Overall the unit is very solid and quite nice to hold.

It weighs about 2lbs (~ 1kg?)?? That's insane for a device this size. Or do you mean it's about as solid/dense as a netbook? e.g. Since it's, say, 1/4 the size of a netbook, it also weighs 1/4 the weight?

Craigix - you now have a team of people helping to assemble the Pandoras, right? Do perhaps any of them smoke? Also, are you helping them out because (1) They need more help and are short-staffed, (2) It means it just goes that much faster, or (3) You just can't *not* build them. (or (4), something else).

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

I was especially worried as I remember someone had found some cigarette ashes in his package (some time ago, still on the old board IIRC) and I doubt they have stayed there all the way from China.

foxblock out

KDEnlive is about the best I've found... But may take some getting used to.
Cheers for that, that seems like exactly what I need. I can use that for future assignments now. Bit complicated alright but looks like it does everything.

@Dewc: Cool Pictures, but maybe a bit to big..

@Topic:

The god thing is that Craigix dosnt own an unimog, everytime i start the engine, my cloths dos smells like "Diesel" (Gazoline) :p

@Dewc: Cool Pictures, but maybe a bit to big..

@Topic:

The god thing is that Craigix dosnt own an unimog, everytime i start the engine, my cloths dos smells like "Diesel" (Gazoline) :p
I was curious of what a unimog was because I find some of the things you say interesting (or just the way you say them perhaps)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CxdX0au-BNA?feature=oembed

holy shit... what the fuck is that thing??? looks like a hybrid pickup truck mixed with a moving truck

please tell me people drive this is for function rather than style.

people drive "humvees" (military cargo trucks) for fashion rather than function in america, they don't function anywhere near as good as the military version however.

Whe dit own this one

DSC00055.JPG

It was build 1974, an its a bit like an little truck, the same weigth of an Hummer H1 (3,5T) but you can work whit it: on a Farm or to work in the wood, or just for fun (the most time) it has 4 Wheel Drive and runs about 80 Kilometers per Hour and our has 110 Hors Powers..

wikipedia

You can Say: The Unimog is the Openpandora from the Trucks..

It weighs about 2lbs (~ 1kg?)?? That's insane for a device this size. Or do you mean it's about as solid/dense as a netbook? e.g. Since it's, say, 1/4 the size of a netbook, it also weighs 1/4 the weight?
Reweighing my unit:

UPS envelope

internal bubble wrap envelope

security sealed cardboard box

Pandora Quick Start Guide

Extra Battery & Case

Complete Pandora (charger/usb, battery/case, & Pandora)

I'm at 819 grams, ≈90 grams shy of 2 pounds. Pandora alone with 2 SD cards and battery weighs 330g.

The "thank you" and credits on the Pandora make me wonder if EvilDragon is considering an official name change to legitimise his strangely pervasive nickname.

Back