Beta Pocketsnes Hack

Hang on... just noticed there are a whole bunch of compiler flags disabled in the Pandora makefile. I guess these were just commented out to get it to build and run? If we can work at least some of them back it, we should get a bit of a performance boost.

I can happily confirm save states are working :)

Love the menu/rom picker, never used this snes emu before.

I hope this can one day be the default Pandora snes emu:)

SteveM said:
Hang on... just noticed there are a whole bunch of compiler flags disabled in the Pandora makefile. I guess these were just commented out to get it to build and run? If we can work at least some of them back it, we should get a bit of a performance boost.

Heh, yeah, might be something simple as that :)
But as the menu is running way faster in Ginge, we can be sure there can be some improvements made ;)

Last edited:
Good work SteveM, quite like this emulator. Save states working and a functional frontend. Would be great if you could sort out the performance and get the sound working.

It appears there were quite a few performance improvements in the 7.0 version for the Wiz. Could these changes be merged into the Pandora port? Where can one find the source code for 7.0?

Just uploaded a new PND to the same place. Those compiler flags made a world of difference - all the games I tried are now full speed at 500 MHz. The performance boost allows some extra options to be enabled by default (e.g. transparencies) which the new PND will apply automatically unless you already saved the settings (if so, remove appdata/pocketsnes_hack/options/menu.opt to reset). If you get glitches, try turning this off or a little overclock.

The other option now enabled by default is... sound! It works, but it's not 100% accurate and lags a little right now. Not really my area of expertise I'm afraid. Patch is also updated if anyone wants to take a look (it's basically the same as the Wiz version).

pder said:
It appears there were quite a few performance improvements in the 7.0 version for the Wiz. Could these changes be merged into the Pandora port? Where can one find the source code for 7.0?
Yeah I saw that was out now, but I've also no idea where the sources are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff. I'm still getting the hang of git too, but I sent you my details through the github site. I noticed a couple of binary files were missing (icon and the default menu settings) so I'll try and get those added soon.

Wow! So much progress in so little time!

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to implement improvements/hacks/features from one emu to another, say from one snes emu to this one if you had the source? :)

jonlad1 said:
Wow! So much progress in so little time!

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to implement improvements/hacks/features from one emu to another, say from one snes emu to this one if you had the source? :)

If they are coded similarly, then to some extent, yes. If you are thinking about features from Snes9x4d4p, I believe that PocketSNES is based off of SquidgeSNES, which was based off of SNES9x, so it may be possible.

-God Ginrai

Just today I had the time to really try the emulator, and WOW, SteveM did a wonderful job, it works almost perfect, the only thing I see some very few times are audio skips, but they are very sparse, it is totally playable.

Just my FPS never go down from 59, even when the play seems a little slow, or it may be only my impression?

Hitnrun said:
Just my FPS never go down from 59, even when the play seems a little slow, or it may be only my impression?
In which games did you see this? Any noticeable speed drops I've had were accompanied by a lower FPS on the counter.

Great job SteveM, just some audio issues (lag, scratchy sound etc) but coming along nicely :) Just one question, which key exits the emulator, i've found the holding keys 1 and 2 does the job but i'm sure there's a better way.

Will do some compatibility checks tonight, see how it handles some of the more demanding games.

SteveM said:
Hitnrun said:
In which games did you see this? Any noticeable speed drops I've had were accompanied by a lower FPS on the counter.

In Street Fighter 2 I got some few slowdowns, but the counter never seemed to get off from 59fps.

Hitnrun said:
In Street Fighter 2 I got some few slowdowns, but the counter never seemed to get off from 59fps.
SF2 is terribly slow on real hardware too, at least here in the PAL-zone. SF2 Turbo was a great improvement! I'll give it a try later though.

Looking forward to giving this one a shot.

Need to sort out all the snes options. Still primarily using older snes9x4d4p released with overclock because the savestates still work. Will be interested to see what options and features this release has.

Also, pocketsnes 7.0 wiz works for me through ginge. Tried several roms, all fullspeed if you turn frameskip off. Ginge is a bit mysterious to me in this regard. ED says pocketsnes doesn't work for him but gpsp-wiz does. I'm the opposite. At least gpsp-gp2x works for me.

Wow, impressive!
Even with Compatible emulation mode, all features (transparency, etc.) enabled and frameskip set to 0, Yoshi's Island stays at a constant 60fps with 500MHz.

VERY cool.

Now all we need is sound properly working.
And maybe speed up the menu (I guess there is just one timer that needs to be adjusted or something like that) - because scrolling through a big rom list takes quite while.
Works faster on GP2X and WIZ.

EvilDragon said:
Wow, impressive!
Even with Compatible emulation mode, all features (transparency, etc.) enabled and frameskip set to 0, Yoshi's Island stays at a constant 60fps with 500MHz.
That's cool, I didn't try Yoshi's Island yet. I guess SuperFX is covered then? How's Starfox? The only thing I found that really slows stuff down is Mode7 (Pilotwings, for example) but even that's still playable at 500.

And maybe speed up the menu (I guess there is just one timer that needs to be adjusted or something like that) - because scrolling through a big rom list takes quite while.
Works faster on GP2X and WIZ.
Ok, I have no frame of reference, not having used either of those versions. Should indeed be easy enough to speed up. Maybe also add controls to skip a page at a time (L+R?).

What's the verdict on which button to use for the menu? I'd love to use the Pandora button, but Minimenu users won't thank me for that. Maybe you should get Skeezix to fix that ;-P

I would use the space button for the menu.

This is no longer a "Proof of Concept" is it? Will this be the best SNES emu now?

It's working absolutely great for me! Just weird sound problems which have been addressed before. Keep up the awesome work!

Back