Beta Pocketsnes Hack

I've noticed that while playing super mario rpg if you enter a battle the music stops... and acts like it's stuck on one note... If it's a really long battle the note will change like the song is just playing in super slow mo...

This emu needs more love :D

HackModford said:
This emu needs more love :D

It does! I'd love to see an update on this and mame4all at some point. It's come so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Hitnrun! You're Doing Awesome!
You can fix the sound! And then it will be perfect :D

So, besides the sound issue, how well does this SNES emu run in comparison to SNES9x that was first released on the Pandora? How do the FX/DSP games, menus, and performance stack up?

I really didn't think this one was to good, but it looks like it's gotten some upgrades, and the community seems to loike it, so maybe I'll give it a go.

Chris

jumpman said:
So, besides the sound issue, how well does this SNES emu run in comparison to SNES9x that was first released on the Pandora? How do the FX/DSP games, menus, and performance stack up?

I really didn't think this one was to good, but it looks like it's gotten some upgrades, and the community seems to loike it, so maybe I'll give it a go.

Chris

Well, it runs Yoshis Island fullspeed with sound and no frameskip at 500MHz ;)
StarFox runs with 700MHz with 45 - 55fps, but the latest PocketSNES version (source not out yet) has some speed enhancements with FX.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed. I think I'll just wait on the next build, and give it a go. Hopefully the sound will get fixed, and I will be good to go.

Chris

I would try it now... that sound isn't that bad or just glitches some instruments.

The only time I find it unbearable is when playing mario rpg and during battles there's no music (really just one note held out long)

I gave it a go this morning, and it's pretty good.

Hopefully everyone can join forces and get these 2 SNES emus up to PC standards. Great work to all involved in both projects.

Chris

jumpman said:
Hopefully everyone can join forces and get these 2 SNES emus up to PC standards.
Speaking of this, and please pardon the slight off-topicness, I wonder if anything more came of trying to get the current Snes9x to work properly on ARM processors? (I seem to recall that it seemingly worked, but displayed nothing at all.)

Hello,

First of all, thanks for bringing another emulator to the pandora! Only gave this one a quick run, but i read the messages and things seem to be progressing nicely.

My question: Is usb controller support planned? (Just point and click like in Picodrive or Hatari ST, preferrably ofcourse ; ) Because i would REALLY like to play mariokart with my girl :)

Cheers!!

MarkoeZ

p.s. Sorry if this has been answered already, but could not find anything in this topic or in the emu itself

Well after another session of hacking, I seem to have made the sound skips to stop, the music is playing smooth now, but it seems to be somewhat not fully syncronized to the video (the previous version was like this too).

This was an ugly ugly ugly one-line hack but it worked, but it is nothing I will put on my resume :)
Hopefully someone with real audio programming knowledge will help us someday.

So, one more beta version to try:

http://www.rangelreale.com/pandora/pocketsnes-beta2.pnd

WARNING: if you used a previous version and has configurations / save states, you must rename the application pandora/appdata directory from "pocketsnes_hack" to "pocketsnes".

Thanks a lot, running very nice already :)

For the delay... sure it's not a sound buffer setting?

Tried playing with those values?
I have no ideas about coding, but when checking the sourcecode, I found the following:

soundux.h:

Code:
#define SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE (2*44100/50)

sounduxnew.h:

Code:
#define SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE (1024 * 16)

I know I had to set a very small sound buffer in .asoundrc on the Pandora, otherwise, sound was very much delayed... 8192 was the maximum that worked for me without having a notable delay.

Maybe play with those values? Try 1024 * 4 for example and see if anything changes there.

You could also send me the sourcecode, got a dev environment setup right now, so I could play with that, too.

Maybe a look into the snes9x4D sourcecode would also help, to see if something changed for the sound here...

If we get a stretch/scaling mode on this, it'll be pretty much perfect for me - I just want save states and full screen :p

I'm an easy guy to please :D

EvilDragon said:
Thanks a lot, running very nice already :)

For the delay... sure it's not a sound buffer setting?

Tried playing with those values?
I have no ideas about coding, but when checking the sourcecode, I found the following:

soundux.h:

Code:
#define SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE (2*44100/50)

sounduxnew.h:

Code:
#define SOUND_BUFFER_SIZE (1024 * 16)

I know I had to set a very small sound buffer in .asoundrc on the Pandora, otherwise, sound was very much delayed... 8192 was the maximum that worked for me without having a notable delay.

Maybe play with those values? Try 1024 * 4 for example and see if anything changes there.

You could also send me the sourcecode, got a dev environment setup right now, so I could play with that, too.

Maybe a look into the snes9x4D sourcecode would also help, to see if something changed for the sound here...

The source code is at github:

http://github.com/Hitnrun/pocketsnes-pnd

I'll take a look at these buffers.

Damn, looks like the version of snes9x used on this project does not support configurable sound buffer sizes, the later versions do support.

I am trying to port the part of the code which I think breaks buffers by size from the other snes9x pandora build, but it is very complex and I am not sure 100% compatible.

I created a branch on github to do this, by now it plays something that resembles the actual game sounds, but pretty badly (and still unsyncronized).

So, progress on this should be somewhat slow.

Thanks for putting in the work Hitnrun, any help is very much appreciated! :)

Okay I tried the new version finally. I'm not that big of a sound buff since usually I never played the originals anyways.

But I will say that the music still doesn't play during a super mario rpg battle :angry: Bummer....

Back