Release PNDManager

New PNDManager 1.3.3.0 is now available

New stuff:

• Deleting own comments
  • Download queuing with variable max parallel downloads (default 4, can be changed from settings.cfg)
  • Thread-safety fixes
  • Some smaller bugfixes
  • Term change: "author" to "maintainer"
  • Shorter delays when installing/syncing
  • Better error messaging

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday done a download of "world of padman" with around 800kB per seconds, cool. Sometime i saw more than 1MB, but not very often.

^ If the OS upgrade can be packaged as a pnd, then why not?

If not, why is it any of PNDmanager's business?

^ I guess @comradekingu is so satisfied with the usability of PNDmanager, that s/he 'd love to see it as the Pandora generic package manager ("one for all").

The feasibility of this idea is another topic...

…let's jump right into it:

• Would hardly be possible to REALLY use PNDManager to up/downgrade the OS, as PNDs are self contained and mounted on runtime, whereas OS installations really change filesystem contents.
  • Without massive feature additions, PNDManager could only aid by downloading the OS up/down-grader, which you then have to launch manually (with the current permissions & workflow).
  • But it is easily possible to provide a near full-fledged user experience for PNDManager, so that in the user perception PNDmanager is able for OS up/down-grade as well. The forementioned PND could have a special flag, which auto launches it right after PNDmanager finished downloading (PNDmanager exists before launching the OS up/down-grade PND, as no other apps should be running while this sensitive installation).

If someone provides me with a C or C++ library that can

1. Check availability of OS upgrade
  2. Perform OS upgrade
  3. Provide OS upgrade status during the upgrade
  4. Do all this either threaded or asynchronincally, providing callback hooks for signaling
...then I can probably wrap it in a panorama plugin and add the necessary UI stuff.

How is upgrading done in .next? No sense in seeing all this trouble for something used maybe once or twice.

It's with opkg, yeah. All it's functionality is provided by libopkg - written in C - so you'd have something to interface with. Do people upgrade their OS much, though? (I'm still on SZ 1.53)

Working with opkg (or any other system-level package system)... is a bit more involved and IMHO better left to a "real" package manager. A user friendly interface can be done of course, but in the context of PNDManager I'd say it's out of scope.

By all means, but the frontend could make it possible to have such a functionality where one would expect it. Its the convenience im requesting.

This conversation lead me to try searching for a graphical front-end to opkg. 

While I didn't find what I was looking for, I did find something called PackageKit,  which seems to be a package management  abstraction layer which already includes an opkg back-end.    That might allow us to use one of the existing graphical front ends to maintain the OS packages, or provide an API for a panorama plugin. 

I don't know if this can be run from a PND  though,  and I have no idea how big it would be so I don't know if NAND installation would be practicable.  

One thing that did come to mind though is that if we could get it working and someone were to build a Milky Helper back-end for PackageKit  that might provide a basis for a unified front end that could install software from either the system repo or the PND repo.

- Neelix

don't know if anyone else does this but i often press the upgrade all button by mistake.

is there a way to cancel this without quitting program, and/or possible to add a "are you sure you want to upgrade?" dialogue box

thanks

Aren't all downloads cancelable with (A)? Cant' test right now.

Out of interest: which packages do you deliberately keep on an older version? And why? Savegame compatability?

Aren't all downloads cancelable with (A)? Cant' test right now.

Out of interest: which packages do you deliberately keep on an older version? And why? Savegame compatability?
it's just large downloads over 100M i prefer to download from laptop then transfer

thanks will try A button next time it happens :)

Back