Playstation Emulation

Tinnus mentioned he was working on PS1 emulation in a different thread. Are these separate projects? Or is it all for psx4all?

psx4all ;)
Tinnus is doing an excellent job on the OpenGL GPU so far. :)

Compatibility will be my main focus it seems.

Ah so I take it even without optimising it for the Pandora its running near full speed with sound?

Or am I getting carried away a little too early?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rendering at native resolution with the 3D hardware on that high density screen along with some nice texture filters will look really sharp :) It will look much better than the ugly stretching that POPS (the PSP's PS1 emulator) does.

jaycee900 said:

Ah so I take it even without optimising it for the Pandora its running near full speed with sound?

Full speed at 600MHz in some tough games and not even touching the 3D hardware yet.

Got the boards running stable at 900Mhz (925 on some) and hit 200fps in FF7 once! :)

MWeston said:
Full speed at 600MHz in some tough games and not even touching the 3D hardware yet.

Got the boards running stable at 900Mhz (925 on some) and hit 200fps in FF7 once! :)
Wow this is the sort of news me and I'm sure others want to know the cold hard facts of what the Pandora can do!

So when the first batch of Pandoras come off at 600mhz can these be overclocked ourselves or will you be selling overclocked models later on? Because i would certainly rather have say a 800mhz version with a 6 hour battery life for more processor intense programs.

MWeston said:

:eek: My seat just got warmer, I hope I didn't soil myself.

MWeston said:
jaycee900 said:

I literally cannot think of any words to describe my reaction to this news other than these

MWeston said:
jaycee900 said:

That's definitely the kind of news people here like to drool over. :D

That sounds fantastic... PSX emulation on Pandora is going to be an absolute pleasure :).

EDIT: So presumably that means that FF7 hits ~135fps at 600MHz? Not that we'd ever really need over 60, but it's useful to know as a benchmark...

I told Zod I wouldn't get into listing all the details and results of his hard work because it's up to him to explain what he did however he wants. :) I just wanted to share the extreme highlights because it just blew my mind to hear those results and everything in between.

Basically, running at 500MHz, it's about 3.5x - 4x faster than the GP2X at whatever clock it can muster, I think. Then you can keep clocking it higher and higher and it just gets crazy fast....no idea on power consumption though ;)

MWeston said:
I told Zod I wouldn't get into listing all the details and results of his hard work because it's up to him to explain what he did however he wants. :) I just wanted to share the extreme highlights because it just blew my mind to hear those results and everything in between.

Basically, running at 500MHz, it's about 3.5x - 4x faster than the GP2X at whatever clock it can muster, I think. Then you can keep clocking it higher and higher and it just gets crazy fast....no idea on power consumption though ;)
I'd like to have some details. :D

anexanhume said:
I'm really disappointed.

200 FPS is just not enough for me.

:lol:
It's TI's fault for not letting us get to 1GHz with these chips. :)

Just kidding! We love you TI ;)

jaycee900 said:
MWeston said:

Wow this is the sort of news me and I'm sure others want to know the cold hard facts of what the Pandora can do!

So when the first batch of Pandoras come off at 600mhz can these be overclocked ourselves or will you be selling overclocked models later on? Because i would certainly rather have say a 800mhz version with a 6 hour battery life for more processor intense programs.

Squidge wrote a little program that anyone can run to over clock the chips in Linux. You can set the clock to whatever you would like. :)

The sample batch is still too small to know if everyone will get to 900MHz but it works well for us so far.

Wow, 900MHz would be simply crazy. :)

I wonder what would happen if we set it to a bad clockspeed like 1.5GHz or something? It would just crash/reboot due to bad data flow or could it damage any part of the hardware (especially the RAM) permanently? Or does the software do any safety sanity checks?

MWeston said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D

MWeston said:
Squidge wrote a little program that anyone can run to over clock the chips in Linux. You can set the clock to whatever you would like. :)

The sample batch is still too small to know if everyone will get to 900MHz but it works well for us so far.
:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Back