Release Picodrove 1.80 (32X support)

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
From Notaz:

PicoDrive is Megadrive / Genesis / Sega CD / Mega CD / 32X / SMS emulator.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_180.pnd

From the last version, 32X and SMS support was added. This is still incomplete (32X needs work and I lack motivation for SMS), it has been in development for more than a year now and it started taking forever because of other projects, so I figured I should release something as it reached somewhat usable state.

Many 32X games need overclocking and some glitch badly due to bugs. There is still a lot room for improvement though. There should be no need to tweak SH2 underclocking or disabling PWM like on GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo, just give it enough overclock and games should be playable if they are compatible.

Here is complete changelog from last released version:

* Enabled 32X and SMS code. It's still unfinished but better release something

now than wait even more (it has been in development for more then a year now

due to various other projects or simply lack of time).

* Pandora: added hardware scaler support, including ability to resize the

layer and control filtering.

* Changed the way keys are bound, no need to unbind old one any more.

* Handle MP3s with ID3 tags better (some MP3s with ID3 did not play).

* Improved shadow/hilight color levels.

* Fixed broken cheat support.

Thanks very much to Notaz for this fantastic emulator. I have been waiting for a long time.. since I first heard about the 32x support back in May.. certain people had beta test builds at Craig's house, mainly ED and X68000 but I didn't have time to grab it.

Thank you too Craig for posting, I will be testing/playing tonight when I finish work :D

True :)

Time for a software news section then :)

So, this is only a support forum? ^^

Anyway, great work, Notaz. I'll give you a virtual hug once ED delivered my pandora :D

Am already most greatfull for picodrive on my dingoo, awesome emulator.

I'd really like to see some good SMS and GG emulation on the pandora. That would be awesome. One would be able to take their SMS/GG titles around and truly be portable... without a 5 hour battery life from 6 AA batteries. I hope Starwars Arcade (32X)works.

It certainly does work, you have to ramp up the clock a little, and there are a few graphical glitches here and there (you cant see the lasers coming from your ship).

Its 100% more 32x than we had before though :)

This I like! How about Virtual Racing or Daytona? Any video clips to drool over?

Heres some questions! (sorry to necropost)

does the current version of Pico on the Pandora support Sega CD? Because I can;t seem to be able to get Snatcher working, I have the rom in .rar format in the pico appdata folder, however whenever I start the game up pico will say *loading game* for a short time, then will simply crash or exit back to desktop. I even copied the sega CD bios files into there as well, still didnt work. So either theres a problem with Snatcher, Sega CD support or something else. Sonic 1& 2 work fine so does Splatterhouse 2.

Snatcher CD does work flawlessly (as well as other 100 Sega CD games I tried). I finished the game on PicoDrive on my Pandora.

Does the BIOS zip file have to be named anything specific? I have it in the root folder, and the same folder as the Snatcher files. Right now its called "SegaCD BIOS V2.00 (U)"

Not sure if they're different files but I have 3 CD Bios files in my Picodrive folder as zips and it works fine for Snatcher.

The files are :

eu_mcd1_9210.zip

jp_mcd1_9112.zip

us_scd1_9210.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if they're different files but I have 3 CD Bios files in my Picodrive folder as zips and it works fine for Snatcher.

The files are :

eu_mcd1_9210.zip

jp_mcd1_9112.zip

us_scd1_9210.zip

Nope, I had different BIOS files, infact I only had one BIOS file. Would you be able to remember the site where you got those files from?

Edit: Ah, nevermind, i found a site with those names

Edit Edit: Woo, its working now! Thanks fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the 32X Support is limited. I can't beat Knuckles Chaotix because the object detection in the special stages don't work.

(Yes, I also also hoping it'd be an update!) :p

Back