PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Sorry I'm late on this, I just today looked at last couple updates PGS made on their blog, that were posted in this thread a few weeks ago.

This one part really stood out to me:

Our device is the world's first hybrid based on two SoCs of different architectures; it is able to provide unique gaming experience on both Windows and Android platforms.

I just love this, it shows again how incredibly clueless they are. I mean, just thinking about it..

- There have been devices that can run Windows and Android and there have even been ones with x86 + ARM SoCs back when the x86 SoCs had terrible power efficiency, like the Fujitsu LOOX F-07C
- It makes no sense whatsoever now when the Atom SoC they've specced can run Android fine and without terrible efficiency
- In addition to the second SoC they would need at the very least separate RAM and quite likely some other peripherals that are too hard to mux properly. Maybe also a separate PMIC. There'd be a huge increase in PCB footprint (on what's already very size sensitive) and cost for a feature probably nobody wants.
- The complexity of the entire thing goes through the roof on a project that's already too hard for them.

They keep showing they are more like daydreaming children than real engineers...

Do you still spend time thinking about an obvious scam attempt? You could be trolling the thread with insider's mem instead...

I remember people quizzing them at the time about the two SOCs. The reason they didn't go with just the Intel SOC, was so you don't have to reboot to get to Android and use the phone capabilites. Also, Android would be running at all times(even when your using Win 10) to monitor for calls which I believe was the other reason. RIP Battery Life I suppose

Who knows if they could have done that with just the Intel SOC.

Last edited:
Do you still spend time thinking about an obvious scam attempt? You could be trolling the thread with insider's mem instead...

If you count a few minutes after months of ignoring it then yes. What is this insider's mem you're talking about?

RIP Battery Life I suppose
1pevjp.jpg

yo

its been a while
i got a pocketchip

now on to more weird and obscure electronics
[doublepost=1496153119,1496152574][/doublepost]weird 2007 *gaming thing classified as an umpc*,sure
http://www.wi-max.it/UMPC_t2.jpg
weird umpc
http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/01/04/495255/openangledwithlogofull.jpg
heres something i have never heard of it looks amazing...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...st-080508.jpg/250px-Pandora-latest-080508.jpg
and thats enough for todays daily obscure electronics hosted from darkmaximus9,bye
[doublepost=1496153180][/doublepost]omg its haunting me
https://tgsreviews.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/ag-umpc.jpg?w=455

@darkmaximus9 i hope you are joking about the pandora? since you've never posted outside of this thread before: the pandora was developed on these boards right here. so if you've never heard of it, maybe you should read more on this forum...

dude you are 13? that is awesome, how did you get into embedded devices at such a young age?
when I was your age I was struggling to get my hands on computers for tinkering. My first umpc of sorts was the gp2x, which I had to save up for quite a bit, eventhough I was 20 years old already.

edit: btw. congrats on getting a pocket chip. I have one as well, but it's collecting dust right now. kinda lost interest a bit and I don't like their forum community at all.

when I was your age I was struggling to get my hands on computers for tinkering.

Don't we all generally start by tinkering with stuff from the previous generation? If you think about it - it makes sense.

When gadgets & gizmos have concluded their service life, their value decreases to the point where it is cheap enough that kids can open them up without breaking the bank.

I was a teenager in the 80s. My items to disassemble and play with were old portable record players, black & white TVs and transistor radios. Cassette tape players were still 'current tech' and too expensive to experiment with before the late 80s. Computers were still so novel and expensive that though we were encouraged to 'program' (in Basic), the mysterious box of magical hardware was not allowed to be opened for inspection or alteration. Back then most teachers referred to the computer itself as, 'the hard drive', even though most of the student computers were equipped with dual full height 360K floppy drives (one for DOS, the other for programs & swapping in our saves disk). What finally made computer hardware accessible to me was the advent of the 286. People and companies started replacing 8086 machines which created a used marketplace where I was able to buy cheap used hardware to cobble together.

So - like you, he's playing with what is available from the previous generation - which at this point in time would include items like the Pandora. By this timeline kids born in the last 5 years will be disassembling and tinkering with Pyras. Man these kids have it easy. :D

yeah I wish I had those possibilities when I was a kid. still I am very interested in his story, most kids I know are maybe interested in tinkering with smartphones, but not with obscure linux devices. I had certainly never even heard about linux when I was 13, but I guess it is easier nowadays as there are raspberry pis, pocket chips and android devices around.

thanks
[doublepost=1496170570,1496170454][/doublepost]i dont own a pandora yet but ill see about getting a pyra when its out

Don't we all generally start by tinkering with stuff from the previous generation? If you think about it - it makes sense.
Not me. I would poke around inside anything I could get my hands on, including things around the house that were malfunctioning or that I thought no one would notice if I did things to it. Also my own stuff, but when I was in single digits I didn't have much of interest or any electronics. Eventually I made my way into walkmen, handheld games, a cd player, and so on. Sometimes I buy items, or accept donations, to poke around in, harvest parts, or "fix".

I guess I understand now why I wasn't really allowed to use the computer when we got an IBM compatible, and when I was allowed to mess with it I had to be observed. (For all you kids out there, it was for a totally different reason than why it is suggested to watch kids with computers or internet capable devices now. Stupid kids.) Still, I learned more than the adults, and would hit up the places where I could spend time with computers, and only got in trouble a few times. I eventually tried to teach some of the adults. Stupid adults.
[doublepost=1496211388,1496211288][/doublepost]
I had certainly never even heard about linux when I was 13
Neither had Grench.

I had certainly never even heard about linux when I was 13

Neither had Grench.

Exactly. When I was about that age I visited a university computer room. The engineers there were quite proud of having gotten their first integrated terminal. It had a built in keyboard & monochrome green screen CRT. I/we were not allowed to touch it. Big room, raised floor - they even took one of the floor panels out to show off the raised floor - and row after row of round reel 9 track tape drives.

The terminal was right next to a big machine who's sole purpose was to read punch cards. Behind that was a gigantic green bar printer - not a dot matrix, but instead a spinning ball that smacked through an inked strip to impact the paper leaving a character.

We each got to take home a, then obsolete, used punch card.

yes that is all very interesting and I suppose most of us are from an older generation. actually that is why I asked @darkmaximus9 for his story on how he got interested in these thing. And while he has not answered that question yet (well he doesn't have to but it would be nice), I have gotten a huge response from @Grench and @rygD phrased like I was trying to make some sort of point, or trying to argue something. I was not, I was merely interested in the personal views and experiences of someone remarkebly younger than me.

so thanks for the answers, but please stop...

Back