PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

1,8mm thickness?
I guess they mean 18mm, which would make a lot more sense ;)

Still pretty thin for cramping a battery and the SoC in there AND make sure the SoC doesn't heat the battery up too much.

It's very, very clever of them to use metal where metal is needed and plastic where plastic is needed though :D

And once again, someone who didn't realize that the Windows MOBILE license is free or devices with that size, NOT the normal Windows license...
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-devices-screen-size-less-8-inches-will-not-have-desktop

EDIT: Or is it? Different opinions, and Microsoft doesn't really say much about this...

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's correct ED, this was discussed on the WIN thread on Dingoonity. I think MS are promoting WIN Mobile for small screens , but the full version is still available free . It's just not encouraged by MS

If the price is really that, and if it's really a smartphone, it could sell a lot

Uplifting music always lends gravitas to stuff. "Hey its gonna change your life."

The only effect such promo trailers have on me is to not take it seriously at all.
Imagine ED making a Pyra promo with the music above or sounds like these.

It would be hilarious and I'd laugh hard since I would take it as a mocking but if someone does this seriously, his product doesn't seem to be enough argument in itself imho.
Then again most advertising techniques do

Last edited:
@levi the Unicomp keyboards are ok. I use one of theirs as my current daily driver and love it. The build quality is a little less than a classic Model M, and this is probably because they are still using the old molds that should probably have been repaired or replaced. Unicomp offers more modern layouts and configurations, but if an old IBM one fits your needs they are really good, probably better. I am pretty sure a Model M will last at least as long as a Keyboardio. Both can be an "heirloom", just one is pretty and more ergonomic, and the other is utilitarian. Actually, many mechanicals can probably be called heirloom quality, and can be repaired as needed.

@Djoga'Ro most of the reasons for issues with typical qwerty based layouts are familiarity that go all the way back to early typewriters. Since there is a constantly growing number of users that are only familiar with keyboards based on that. If keyboards with Dvorak that were tented or had other more ergonomic features were more common in my area I would have already switched. Since I spend add much time using other people's keyboard as much as my own I stick with ones that have typical qwerty (mostly) but that are improved over common rubber domes. I have been considering an Ergodox, so the one you want is another good one for me to have as an option.

I am also not a touch typist, even though I have been using keyboards nearly my entire life and have taken several typing classes. I kinda do what you do. I have thought about learning to touch type properly, however I am not fully convinced it will increase my speed or be better for my body.

@vcoleiro1 the stick extending upwards like that was described in the full forum post that has been spammed around.
ADDITIONAL - USB 3.0 Host, HDMI 2.0 Host, 3.5mm combo, Built-in 5.0 speakers (2.0 for PGS Lite), Built-in cam and webcam (8.0MP/2.0MP) (5.0MP/1.3MP for PGS Lite), Second HD IPS display (4*), Telescopic analog sticks (basic analog sticks for PGS Lite).

Looks to good to be true. If not, ED has another handheld to sell in his shop.
Exactly my thought. How do they want to put all these things in there? Even their bigger version would be smaller than the Pyra (247.97 cm³ compared to 341.04 cm³).
Battery life shouldn't be too great as well, not to mention the price...
So I'm veeeeery sceptical about this.

Ok, I'm going to call it.

This isn't real folks IMO. Their site has no company information at all. There is nothing I can find about them searching around. Their site is hosted in Russia - hmmm. Plus their twitter posts are in Russian

The specs are way too good for $250. Z8750, 8GB Ram, 128GB Storage, High res screen, a second screen, LTE and it keeps going. Plus Telescopic sticks, give me a break.

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit

Yep, especially for such a QHD screen.

Just some quick information:
* Storage: About 25 USD (if they get a high-volume price), otherwise it's more like 30 - 40 USD
* 8GB RAM: About 20 - 30 USD
* Screen: QHD? Probably about 60 - 70 USD, second screen maybe 20 - 30 USD

So just these components are about 180 - 200 USD already, unless they get them in VERY high quantity (100k+)
Then add the case, LTE, the CPU, the PCBs, assembly, etc.

Doesn't sound realistic .)

Last edited:
@rygD The keyboardio guys seem to think of their kb like of an musicians instrument. Something you would bring with. If my plans play out and I become a touch typist on that, I'd demand one of them as equipment at work. This then I'd take with me, when I have to visit costumers.
That would drive one of my colleagues crazy. I'm still acquainting myself with MS VS, C#, .NET, the terrible ERP database our costumers have and those things - which takes forever since it's just a tiny bit of the variaty of my tasks. So every now and then I need to ask him how to do this or that. Then he shoves me aside and does it himself. My customized Pale Moon (FF fork) and my by the time vim-ifized MS VS are already giving him a hard time. The kb would kill it. :D

@Djoga'Ro Hmmm... Ok, I see what you and they are after. Even some of my synthesizers are closer to a Model M than a Keyboardio, and are around my age or older, so it should be thought of more like an acoustic guitar or violin. As long as it isn't as fragile as those it should be fine.

I used to lug my keyboard around. I would rather have something that can take a beating and not look too bad compared to how it started, and can be replaced rather inexpensively if it does get trashed. I would love to modify a metal bodied model F, however if I do that I would try and keep it protected more than an M.

Yeah, I thought the specs were somewhat high for a handheld device- surely it would be more pricey.

It's a lot of work to do that fancy website of theirs, perhaps they are gauging a potential market?
One would have to really enjoy one's own bullshit to go as far as they have.

EDIT: Or is it? Different opinions, and Microsoft doesn't really say much about this...
Here is what GPD say about it in their FAQ :
________

Q : Does the operating system need to pay to activate?

A:No,Cause for the device that below 10.1 inches can be free to use the latest Windows and Office.GDP Win use the genuine Windows 10 system,It will be automatically activated after installation.
________

Pretty sure that's not fully true as for office what you get is 1 years free trial, though I'm pretty sure it is currently true (and has been for some time) for the Windows licence. A bit of extra info here.

Damn cool design. Would love to have it as a phone. Biggest turn off is the OS.

"Hello, dear forum users. Soon we are planning to announce the PGS – a portable gaming console with Windows onboard (also comes with Android in Dual boot mode), which will be capable to run all games for PC, including those of AAA class of the current generation."
Suuuuure... xD

Well, let's see. Nice Design, nice Promo Video, Metal Case OK. But not much real thing to show. I would like to know if such retracting analog sticks even exist. Seems complex and needs mechanics inside. Shoulder buttons seem to small for straight vertical array, we are already over this for the Pyra, fortunately.
I would like to see their cooling solution in reality:
"This device is equipped with a passive cooling system (a copper radiator, which transmits heat to the case of the device), which allows to avoid processor overheating, as well as one very annoying thing, which is called CPU Throttling. Keeping in mind almost miserable TDP of the chipset, our device will never reach uncomfortable temperatures."
Device is compared thin, not much space in there actualy. But if they really can manage to cool an Atom x7-Z8750 (TDP: 2W), it should be no problem to cool an OMAP5 in the Pyra.

And all that for ~250$? HOW?

Back