PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

He wasn't enjoying the pain or humiliation of defeat (he isn't a Klingon). He made it clear that he just wanted the experience of playing against this person that was the best, even though he knew he was going to lose. Not entirely unlike choosing the highest difficulty level for a game, knowing your skills aren't at that level, just to give it a shot and see how long you last, or otherwise doing something way beyond your ability, especially something that will be hard on you, for the sake of enjoying doing it. Funpain. Perhaps I see it as the inverse of masochism, doing something, especially for fun, despite the pain/unpleasantness.

I knew you meant the non-sexual (yet not entirely accurate, as the term does originate from the sexual aspect, based on the stories of the author that gave it his name, and is misapplied when otherwise used) understanding of masochism. Although the first thing some people think of regarding Riker is sex, I meant more generally. He liked a challenge and being underestimated, but he always tried to have the upper hand, or to keep an ace up his sleeve (and don't get me started on David Xanatos). I can't recall any instance where he took any sort of joy in being defeated. Encountering himself when returning to the location of the transporter accident and meeting the real man, or when seeing him try to deal with past mistakes. Sure, it may not always be on, but I don't recall it having ever been on in his case.

Can anyone give a TL;DR? Because I thought we were discussing PGS here, and I have no idea how we came to this point :D

Can anyone give a TL;DR? Because I thought we were discussing PGS here, and I have no idea how we came to this point :D

Well, it's like this:

PGS released an announcement of a new scam, my shed got dragged into the discussion, and as a consequence the finer points of deriving pleasure from pain and discomfort are now being hammered out.

You're welcome.

Because sending money to PGS might qualify as masochism and/or funpain (I still think they are different, everyone else is probably correct that they are the same).

I believe it's not the pain of losing a bunch of times that is enjoyable about playing on hard but winning against long odds. It's not the x times you lose you enjoy it's finally winning.

That is still distinct in my head, I think it has a different term associated with it that I can't think of atm. What I have in mind as funpain is about enjoying the experience, not the eventual triumph (although striving for it kinda fits). Even in my Riker example, he only got one chance to play the guy (yet Data got two, and took a serious hit to his confidence after the first game). I really need to get that clip.
[doublepost=1485272223,1485271760][/doublepost]

Since he "failed to win" he technically lost. Still, he won in my book by not letting the other guy win, and I find playing it your own way to be totally respectable, although some might consider things like that to be unsportsmanlike (I wonder what Worf thought of it). Wasn't it Pulaski who suggested a draw? Didn't she also have a previous relationship with Riker's father?
[doublepost=1485316720,1485316592][/doublepost]Oh, and she was the one that convinced Data to play against him (as seen in the clip), which subsequently led to his confidence loss...she just came in and messed up everything for everyone.

Because sending money to PGS might qualify as masochism and/or funpain (I still think they are different, everyone else is probably correct that they are the same).
Well, I agree that masochism when not applied to sex is being applied wrongly, so I propose we use this opportunity to suggest that masochism when misapplied to anything non-sexy should henceforth be called 'funpain' instead. i.e. it's masochism if it's sexy, but funpain if not.

:D That still isn't how I thought of it, but if we can spread the term maybe it can be used for both. "Accepting or nonsexually enjoying the unpleasantness that comes along with doing something." Feel free to add it to Urban Dictionary. I don't bother with that site anymore since they rejected a widely used sitter nickname for generators (gennies) I tried to add at one point. If we can get it into wide enough use, regardless of the definition, that would be interesting.

The fun is draining from the funpain in this discussion, so I might leave it to return to the topic when the next "update" comes around. We could also work on making Strategema so it can be a PGS exclusive launch title.

You always seem to induce laughter in this middle-aged goofball. I love this. Total nonsense....deliberated.

Looks like we have another update:

We are accelerating

Hello, dear friends.

Today we are going to share some news.

We have signed a contract with our Taiwanese partners for full-cycle manufacture of the line of our devices, PGS Hardcore and PGS Lite. In the next few month we are launching the manufacturing process of the first pre-release device batches.

Once they are ready, device samples will be sent to relevant media entities, journalists, and bloggers for making reviews.

We can say for sure that year 2017 is going to become a starting point for a new type of personal gadgets, a family of devices under the PGS brand. This year a lot of good news are coming.

Please, take note that our website has undergone partial update, which reflects the modified design of the device and other technical modifications that we covered in the previous update. In the near future our website will undergo further, large-scale update, so you will find even more detailed and accurate information about PGS.

Also, we'd like to show you the concepts of PGS Hardcore in various colours, since the appearance of the device has been slightly changed due to the new technical solutions that we wrote about earlier. At first, we were torn between coloured back covers only and the fully coloured bodies, but then we decided that it would be much better if devices differ between each other as finished colour concepts.

In addition, we'd like to note that at the beginning of January we have signed agreement with the new investor, so now we are fully concentrated on our work to produce an ideal gadget, the hybrid of a portable game console, smartphone, and mini PC.

Best wishes, PGS Team

^
jiyeon-thats-interesting-do-tell-me-more.gif

The GPD Win has been out for months and it's a great product. I FINALLY got mine (too much backstory). It's a powerful, full-fledged Windows 10 computer. I've installed Steam and played some games...the recent Resident Evil 7, it's playable IMO. It's a REAL desktop replacement computer....for just about everything. This PGS thing is and will always be vaporware. I feel bad for the supporters, but I always say that fools and their money will soon be parted. Either way, you have to have some COMMON SENSE....right?

I much prefer the level of intelligence I have with my UNCOMMON SENSE.
Thanks. ;)

I leave room for uncommon sense as well. I've learned the hard way that I need to be more patient and receptive to new things. I'm not going to hit myself over the head with a hammer. I have my limits.

...also WHY must you ALWAYS choose the OPPOSITE of every argument?

FaeMinx - why? You're fascinating enough for me to give a damn, so you should take advantage of THIS MOMENT - it wont come again. WHY?
[doublepost=1486116310,1486115671][/doublepost]FaeMinx is in love with me. I can tell. It's weird because, well FaeMinx will tell you. He/she loves me.
[doublepost=1486119296][/doublepost]I love this, because it's from their own website "PC GAMES ON PORTABLE DEVICES – NOW IT'S REAL!" YES! GPD Win beat you to it as some others will. This has been a money grab from the start. We haven't seen any prototypes in maybe 6 months, maybe 9? That wasn't one - it was a hacked tablet and a small screen...and a funny 3-D printed case to fool investors. Well THAT and a lot of CGI has brought over 1 million dollars into their virtual coffers. Now what?

Either way, you have to have some COMMON SENSE....right?
No. This is a very complex project with a reasonably charismatic developer making a lot of claims that, on their face and with absolutely no further information, does not seem farfetched. People have had fanless tablets and laptops and portable game systems for years: there is nothing farfetched about these guys claiming they can do all three in one.
Seeing the problems requires technical knowledge. It requires you to know things about batteries, about electronics, about physics. Common sense tells you that if you bake something in the oven it'll be hot when you pull it out; common sense tells you that water will make the floor slipper if spilled; common sense does not tell you that the physical space for a battery couldn't possibly hold enough power to run the selected CPU for a reasonable amount of time, that requires a lot of technical knowledge. Even the method of funding that would set off warning bells in anyone here is only doing so because we've had experience with complex projects like this: to anyone else, it's something new and exciting and nothing in their current experiences make them doubt it.
I do not blame anyone for getting caught up in this, I don't think the backers are necessarily stupid or lacking in any kind of sense for falling for this would-be scam, I just think their lacking in the technical knowledge to realize it's an impossible dream.

Just a snippet of uncommon sense for you:
"Not everything is about pancakes."

... If the average person is rather dumb, which they are... and above average intelligence resides in a relatively small percentage of the population...
That would mean 'common sense' isn't actually that perceptive.

Having 'uncommon sense' on the other hand... would mean being able to perceive things the vast majority of humankind are completely oblivious to.

I really didn't think I needed to explain that.

Back