PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

Actually, I'd prefer WinXP to Win7/8/10 in a mobile system like this one since it's way less demanding on the hardware and has more than enough awesome games still available.
Of course Linux is the sensible way to go anyway.
Maybe, but if I'm looking for new hardware, I would want it to run current software as well. Even Google Chrome doesn't support updates on XP anymore.

I think the era of umpc is slowly dissolving because of smartphones tablets
It always has been a nieche and I got the feeling that Europeans and Americans just got interested in it because they slowly got used to doing pc things on the go on a crippled pc (=smartphone) while Japanese people for example care about this for quite a long time already afaik and had more like this around already.
This market rather seems to be growing.

Last edited:
I think building you're own umpc out of a single board computer is one of the best ways because theyre getting better like the udoo x86 can handle 3 4k screens at the same time and can run both linux and windows I'm waiting for my screen for my udoo neo ex
[doublepost=1471542193,1471541221][/doublepost]I think somebody put linux on a 3ds

I think building you're own umpc out of a single board computer is one of the best ways because theyre getting better like the udoo x86 can handle 3 4k screens at the same time and can run both linux and windows I'm waiting for my screen for my udoo neo ex
[doublepost=1471542193,1471541221][/doublepost]I think somebody put linux on a 3ds

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the UDOO x86. That's a rather neat board.

It still ha's to come out
[doublepost=1471547416,1471544939][/doublepost]Also they say 89 usd but that's the worst model
The best one is like 250 usd for the backers

I thought the Win had HDMI mini type C.

Edit: looked into it and I'd DID have type C when it was to have a z7500, stereo speakers and a micro USB charge port. It now lists Micro HDMI type D and a USB C port.

Last edited:
I note the HDMI out row is still wrong for the Pyra AFAIK - wiki recokons it's got a microHDMI aka. type D just like the GPD win. I'd edit it, but I don't have a google login.

I don't have time to look at it right now but whoever has a googles account: edits are open to all, feel free to change anything there that is incorrect. I started it with the hopes others would add to it.

I added what I knew about the pgs
[doublepost=1471625731,1471596462][/doublepost]Also theres another board called lattepanda and I remember it was also good

Going back to the original topic for the moment, I received an update email from PGS on the current state of things:

Greetings, dear PGS community.

As many of you know, from the very beginning we have presented the PGS project as an open, "people's" project. No restrictions and limitations, no preinstalled online application stores, no loaders being blocked. In short - absolute freedom to act and to choose. We are going to stay the course and keep following this philosophy not only while creating the first PGS versions, it will be the case with our new products as well.

Today we are happy to start following a good tradition - once a month we will provide a brief summary of news, sharing with you our ideas and plans for future development.

Before we left Kickstarter we had already got an agreement with an investing side, which was going to cover all expenses of the company at the first stage of project development, such as costs of manufacturing of PGS Lite and PGS Hardcore, warranty services, PR, logistics and other expenses.

In order to initiate intensive technical development of the device, a group of highly experienced engineers and industrial designers have been invited to work on the project. Now they are actively working on the technical side of the PGS, which is the essential stage before manufacturing. We are trying to take every little detail into account. We are striving for creating the highest quality device.
Currently we are negotiating with several Chinese and Taiwanese gadget manufacturers. All of them would be glad to take an opportunity to manufacture our device.

Recently, we were negotiating with representatives from Intel mobile chips division. Due to the NDA, we can't provide you detailed info, but it is clear now that Intel is ready to provide us any support during the process of creating our current and further products, which are to be based on Intel chips.

We have updated visual design and functionality of most of our web resources. Now there's actual info, actual tech specs, feedback tool, legal info, enhanced pre-order system and other updates.

As you may know from our previous news, the future of the PGS Lite version has been cloudy until now. The thing is, we have received enough of requests from our community members not to shut down the development of the Lite version. So the good news is we are going to continue the development. Maybe we will make some changes. Anyway, you will be noticed about any changes. You will also be able to contribute to the creation process by participating in various polls.

Another one significant change has been made to pre-ordering system. The point is, it may happen that we make some changes to our device before the final release, and it can affect the intention of a customer to buy the product. For instance, if we decide to replace the additional display in Light version with a physical keyboard, one would find it cool while someone else would be disappointed . So now every customer who made a pre-order, has the right to cancel it right up until the release date.

In the near future we are going to conduct a number of polls to explore your vision of the final device. Your opinion is very important for us, as we are creating this product for you. It is mostly you who guides us along the way of product designing. You trust us and we, in turn, trust you.
By the way, we have noticed (quite surprising) that most customers forget to use a promo code "HARDCORE" in order to get a 40$ discount. If you accidentally forgot to use it, please inform us via the feedback, we will gladly give you the discount.

We are creating the future together with you.
Yours faithfully, the PGS Team.

So it still sounds like they're still trying to find engineers and manufacturers to develop a prototype. Not that this is very surprising as we all knew that to be the case. Still no information on the investment backing other than it exists. Very much in the early stages sort of thing.

It is interesting that they are considering dropping the second screen from the Lite entirely. Although it still seems like they will use separate PCB instead of a single unified to design with unpopulated components for the Lite version (which usually makes the most sense).

If they're thinking of dropping the 2nd screen and putting in a keyboard, I can think of a quick way to shorten their development cycle.

Build their own X86 SoC board and license the rest of the Pyra's hardware from ED. Quick development shortcut for them. Money for ED's company. Yeah, there is probably iceberg sitting in a harbor in Tahiti too.

Going back to the original topic for the moment, I received an update email from PGS on the current state of things:
[snip]
Basically another non-update update from PGS "team".

The only real info given is about website and pre-order system update, and conveniently reminding customers they can use HARDCORE promo code to get $40 discount. Of course, that little info is wrapped in a blanket of reassuring comments and empty promises:
"Before we left Kickstarter we had already got an agreement with an investing side, which was going to cover all expenses of the company at the first stage of project development..."
"we were negotiating with representatives from Intel mobile chips division. Due to the NDA, we can't provide you detailed info..."
"The thing is, we have received enough of requests from our community members not to shut down the development of the Lite version. So the good news is we are going to continue the development."
"So now every customer who made a pre-order, has the right to cancel it right up until the release date."

For someone having "all expenses covered", seems weird to keep talking so much about the website, pre-order system and promo codes, don't you think? ;)

This is hilarious. When will this mythical "PGS Team" finally come to their senses already? They sure have a lot of nerve...whomever they are. My two new favorites are:

"As many of you know, from the very beginning we have presented the PGS project as an open, "people's" project. No restrictions and limitations"

and

"Today we are happy to start following a good tradition - once a month we will provide a brief summary of news, sharing with you our ideas and plans for future development."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

....WOW. Maybe they should start being realistic and start paring down some restrictions and limitations. That is if they're even serious about producing an actual product - which I doubt more so than ever. Also, once a month they'll actually, willingly share a small nugget of (mis)information for the deluded masses. Just wow.

Well, here is a another reason why it really is not happening. No restrictions and limitations. So limitless that... It comes with Windows 10? With no removable battery? Which also doesn't have a keyboard? Man, the update before this one really made me think like they could come out with a real thing, even though it will not be as good as they say. They even did better at giving fake news with their Kickscammer page. And just one per month now?

So the PGS titanium still exists, its price has dropped form $800 to $600 and you can choose from 5 different colors on trycelery.
I mean titanium is easy enough to anodize to color, with the exception of black which requires special equipment and white which I don't think can be done and is quite durable but disregarding that assuming this somehow actually happens they'd never make back the money invested to make those shells.
They wouldn't even come close.
There is a reason you don't see many things made from titanium and how much more they cost compared to things made from other metals.
A very limited run of titanium cases like this would be astronomical in cost.

Back