PGS Windows 10 gaming handheld - GPD WIN competitor

just found out about the smach z
At that point you should also include the Gole1. Though missing the physical controls, it does have a touch screen, runs Windows 10 and Android nicely and has a very interesting array of ports (1 USB 3.0, 3 USB 2.0, 1 USB micro (may be charge only?), Ethernet, full size HDMI, 802.11g with very good range (antenna helps?), microSD), battery life of ~2 hrs though.

But at that point high end cell phones start to come to play too. Maybe just keep the list to the 'non-mainstream handheld portable general use computers'?

Yeah if a Windows Handheld is what you want, GPD is a known manufacturer and can get a product out the door. Early reports of battery life is a bit concerning EvilDragon claims he can only get 3 hours on the prototype he was given to show off at Gamescom and that isn't even the beefier processor.
Small correction: Between 1,5 - 3 hours when playing demanding games.
Normal usage is a lot longer.

just found out about the smach z

Since it doesn't have a keyboard, it hardly plays in the same league.
I'd rather compare it to a modded PS-Vita, Caanoo, GCW Zero etc...

At that point you should also include the Gole1. Though missing the physical controls, it does have a touch screen, runs Windows 10 and Android nicely and has a very interesting array of ports (1 USB 3.0, 3 USB 2.0, 1 USB micro (may be charge only?), Ethernet, full size HDMI, 802.11g with very good range (antenna helps?), microSD), battery life of ~2 hrs though.

But at that point high end cell phones start to come to play too. Maybe just keep the list to the 'non-mainstream handheld portable general use computers'?

That depends on what your criteria are. I'm looking at a handheld capable of running x86 games. Windows would be more preferred as it's more widely supported than SteamOS and allows for Steam in addition to other stores. I'm less interested in using it as a full computer, but that would be a nice bonus.

GPD Win appears to be the primary candidate in that respect as it looks like an excellent balance of performance, function, and portability. Smach Z is very interesting and potentially more powerful, but also much less portable. Gole1 is interesting as I didn't know about it before, but may not be powerful enough and doesn't have built-in game controls. Pyra would be awesome if I was looking for a portable computer or had a large collection of ARM Linux games, but that is not my primary criteria.

So I think that they probably should be considered as well.

So there is a phone that has 6 gb of ram and it can become a pc and it's powerfull I think Its like the pgs lite in power it's called simetium tell me if it fits in this

So there is a phone that has 6 gb of ram and it can become a pc and it's powerfull I think Its like the pgs lite in power it's called simetium tell me if it fits in this
To me it's just a phone, no built on physical keyboard or game controls...

To me it's just a phone, no built on physical keyboard or game controls...

Well if u see the first trailer it has a keyboard

I think that's just a dock for the phone. Not an actual part of it. Maybe it should be limited to just those that include physical controls, but that's my criteria.

Honestly, I would probably be happy if someone made something like the Xperia Play with modern hardware, but that's also just my preference. (I also realize that doesn't match my criteria for x86 gaming, but it's rather an alternative: Either portable x86 gaming handheld or gaming smart phone with physical controls.)

Gpd xd but it's not a phone so

Right. Didn't meet what I was looking for on the phone front nor x86 on the stand-alone handheld front. Although that would be a closer comparison to the other standalone handhelds. While it doesn't have a keyboard, it does have a full Android OS that doesn't necessarily need one. Although that would open it up to any Android tablet with gaming controls. I think that could fill a list in and of itself. So probably best to exclude the Android-only handhelds.

I'm thinking these are the qualities that would make the list:
  • Full desktop OS support (Linux, Windows, etc.), but not just Android as there are tons of those.
  • Built-in physical keyboard and/or gaming controls
Things like LTE, phone support, bluetooth, ports, etc. are all good to mention, but perhaps not necessary (well, maybe at least USB). Anything else come to mind?

Right. Didn't meet what I was looking for on the phone front nor x86 on the stand-alone handheld front. Although that would be a closer comparison to the other standalone handhelds. While it doesn't have a keyboard, it does have a full Android OS that doesn't necessarily need one. Although that would open it up to any Android tablet with gaming controls. I think that could fill a list in and of itself. So probably best to exclude the Android-only handhelds.

• Full desktop OS support (Linux, Windows, etc.), but not just Android as there are tons of those.
Things like LTE, phone support, bluetooth, ports, etc. are all good to mention, but perhaps not necessary (well, maybe at least USB). Anything else come to mind?

The Pyra isn't just a game device though. It is also a portable general use computer - which is a major draw for me.

Maybe a 'Capable of self contained stand-alone two plus hours of batery operation and must fit in a decent size pants pocket and must include two of these three'
A. Full Desktop OS (Linux, Windows, etc) (Chromebooks? Android is actually getting close in some implementations...)
B. Built in physical keyboard and/or gaming controls
C. At least 6 expansion/connection points (USB ports + SD/microSD ports + Ethernet/802.11/Bluetooth/3G/4G + HDMI/Video)
Capable of self contained stand-alone batery operation.

For the 'general use portable computer' side, I'm willing to set an exception for the lack of physical controls for the Gole1 or the lack of gaming controls for an OQO or the lower expansion and connection options on the GPD Win. The Pyra is the only device I know of that would qualify for all categories though.

U cold make your own thing with a raspberry pi and some other stuff but I'm not sure If that's what u would like
i've mentioned it elsewhere, but if you have ben heck's resources, you'd make something that looks at best like this:
pretty cool, but not something that could go with you on a plane...

The Pyra isn't just a game device though. It is also a portable general use computer - which is a major draw for me.

Maybe a 'Capable of self contained stand-alone two plus hours of batery operation and must fit in a decent size pants pocket and must include two of these three'
A. Full Desktop OS (Linux, Windows, etc) (Chromebooks? Android is actually getting close in some implementations...)
B. Built in physical keyboard and/or gaming controls
C. At least 6 expansion/connection points (USB ports + SD/microSD ports + Ethernet/802.11/Bluetooth/3G/4G + HDMI/Video)
Capable of self contained stand-alone batery operation.

For the 'general use portable computer' side, I'm willing to set an exception for the lack of physical controls for the Gole1 or the lack of gaming controls for an OQO or the lower expansion and connection options on the GPD Win. The Pyra is the only device I know of that would qualify for all categories though.

Fair enough. It all comes back to what you are looking for more: Portable computer or portable gaming device. As there are plenty of Android-only gaming devices, I was trying to keep them from blowing up the list, but I do acknowledge that they could serve as an alternative to desktop computing with the right apps. But then so could phones if you make enough concessions.

So then I'll revise the list:
  • Pocketable/portable
  • Self contained stand-alone battery operation
  • Full Modern Desktop OS (Linux, Windows, maybe Chrome, etc. Just not Android as that deserves its own list.)
  • Built in physical keyboard and/or gaming controls
  • MicroSD expansion
  • USB
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • 3G/4G/LTE wireless
  • HDMI/Video out
I still think some of the bottom items could be more optional depending on what other criteria are met. I also specified for modern OS as to avoid older netbooks running anything below Windows 7.

Lots of them, from the 90s on. Looks like your most recent revised list knocks most of those out as many are using older OSs. Perhaps the ones people were putting Linux on could fit in your list, so it is still too many for me to bother looking them all up.

So I think the only way a android device could go on here is by having a keyboard with trackpad in it and putting andronium though andronium is kind of new
[doublepost=1471510457,1471510364][/doublepost]But it's still very limited so
[doublepost=1471511072][/doublepost]Also is price a limit?

price is definitely a hindrance for some people, but lots of us on the forums will pay for good linux/open source support.

i remember a review by a kid, who was looking at the pandora. he said that he liked the device, but just couldn't get over the fact that it was linux. he was so used to windows, and he couldn't learn anything new (and said as much!). and i'm thinking, you're all of 14 years old, kid! you are not an old geezer yet. (and even some of those like linux, too.)

Back