Paper Wars

"The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day, I got in." B)

Very effective and fast way to design a map, it helps to keep the overview over the actual gameplay. You can play or watch the AI and look where obstacles should be placed or the map design has to be altered without even need to have a finished ingame Map. :) All the graphical eyecandy stuff can be added later, it's just deco and could be a jungle or snow or a desert setting, I like that because this way we can have well tested, balanced maps even before the map theme is designed. :)

How about a head mounted Camera? :D

However, it looks great. I like the new Special Skills of the Units, the paper glider makes the gameplay much faster. :) I remember this map, it took AGES to move the Soldiers in the old version. Did I also spotted 3x shooting animation at the end where you had choosen 3x shoot? Also one big thing I missed in the first demo.

So awesome!

I can perfectly imagine this, once finished and everything, as a boxed commercial game for the 3ds or the vita. Keep it up!

hex_base_tinyforest.png

Looks pretty good, though it looks pretty big. I actually found the current map quite lengthy to play on, time-wise; and the last time I played, I never finished the game. Not sure how much the updates will speed it up, but I guess the AI vs AI would let you map out a rough idea on win time.

If the AI can win in 20-30 minutes, I'd say it was a decent size map. Anything over that, I'd maybe suggest shrinking it down, or on those ones defaulting turns to allow 4/5/6 actions to allow it to progress faster.

Just my thoughts.

Oh, and I want an advance copy of the next demo, and where's my wallpaper?? ;)

Keep up the good work guys

aaaaaaaand action! ;) i've just updated the caanoo codebase today - what you see is what you get - pandora vs caanoo multiplayer match!

And I'll be playing against you all on my iPod touch! (super jealous of you Pandora owning folks)

So awesome! I can perfectly imagine this, once finished and everything, as a boxed commercial game for the 3ds or the vita. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot! That would certainly be amazing!

Looks pretty good, though it looks pretty big. I actually found the current map quite lengthy to play on, time-wise; and the last time I played, I never finished the game. Not sure how much the updates will speed it up, but I guess the AI vs AI would let you map out a rough idea on win time. If the AI can win in 20-30 minutes, I'd say it was a decent size map. Anything over that, I'd maybe suggest shrinking it down, or on those ones defaulting turns to allow 4/5/6 actions to allow it to progress faster. Just my thoughts. Oh, and I want an advance copy of the next demo, and where's my wallpaper?? ;) Keep up the good work guys

This map is actually smaller then the current map (i think) at least it's designed to be played a lot faster with a more central focus. Ha, wait till you see the LARGE map. That one will have pretty long matches, maybe.

However, the special powers we have brought into this game have mainly had a focus on speeding up gameplay and making actions more convenient to do. That's one reason why I was able to do a large map, because you can get around very quickly. In addition, you can save your unused moves, that also helps a bit with making the game feel less rigid.

That said, this style of gameplay is pretty new and I still don't quite understand what kind of map is best suited for Paper Wars. So when the game beta is put out, there will be 3 maps: the original average sized one, a large epic map, and this focused map. Each one requires dramatically different strategies to win.

Wallpapers will probably be made around release time. Still focusing mostly on just getting the beta done.

I want an advance copy too ;)

Hey traylor & crow many thanks for all your work on this, anything that helps wean me off my Advance Wars fixation is most welcome especially when it looks as lovely as it does..

One question.. if the Pandora can cope with things that look as stunning as this, why in the name of all that's holy aren't there more of them ports/originals/emulators.. whatever.. and no I haven't got the chops to port/design etc. myself (yet!.. learning though.. everyone's gotta start somewhere) methinks this is definitely a missed viral marketing opportunity.. pictures speak louder than words.. especially if they are moving.. and pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks very stunning and I can't wait to play it in multiplayer.

That said, this style of gameplay is pretty new and I still don't quite understand what kind of map is best suited for Paper Wars. So when the game beta is put out, there will be 3 maps: the original average sized one, a large epic map, and this focused map. Each one requires dramatically different strategies to win.
Yeah, I understand. Map design is a pretty indepth and difficult process.

Wallpapers will probably be made around release time. Still focusing mostly on just getting the beta done.
No worries, I was just prodding

I want an advance copy too ;)
Outrageous! :p

Awesome work, can't wait... also happy to give feedback/beta test maps. Will be watching this space!

Hey friends! I know we were talking big like we wanted to get a beta out by the end of the month. Well, real life happens as it often does to these projects and we are gonna hold off an entire week. You can spend your time watching the Game of Thrones season 2 debut!

just to let you know, the beta that comes out hopefully this week will very likely not contain a working AI - i'm just in the state of rewriting this (again). but hey, there's a network play mode that also needs thorough testing :)

I have no idea what Game of Thrones is, but I look forward to the beta :)

Edit: What's your plan for letting people test the network code? I can't imagine many people having two Pandoras

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what Game of Thrones is, but I look forward to the beta :)

Edit: What's your plan for letting people test the network code? I can't imagine many people having two Pandoras

Game of Thrones is a very epic medeival fantasy show on HBO. Season 2 just started.

tiny update: I'm preparing a beta version for network multiplayer - i hope i'll get it online tonite (now i'm at work, so not much going to happen). just .pnd packing and writing some docs - then it should be ready.

Back