Wars

Finished with the filtering, added info page and manual (mostly copy-paste and should be revised anyway, but explains the basic gameplay mechanics).

Stuff left:

• Go through the entire client interface and prepare for any kind of input
  • Implement smart last line of defense exception handling
  • Move all server configuration to configuration.js
  • Seek and destroy the multiple connection spawning bug
  • Add logging

It's mean that you do so much at the backend and you actualy don't see much of it at the frontend. ;)

Your Manual Page is a little bit to much "Wall of Text" for my taste, there could be some graphics or another Text format to make it more easy to read. The Info tables are nice and clean but it would be great if there also could be Unit Graphics at least in the Unit table so you instantly have a visual connection between how the unit looks and what it does. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. It's boring stuff, but still necessary.

The manual is a bit too wall of text for my taste as well. I haven't really had time to really polish it up (priorities, priorities...), but it should suffice in explaining how the game works. A definite spot for improvement, but not a priority in my opinion.

Unit graphics should be doable with a reasonable amount of work. I'll see if I'll still implement it for 1.0.

You are fast. ^^

With the graphics, the Info sheets are looking much better and also work better I think. :)

OK. I think wars-gamenode is ready for 1.0. Truth being told, I'm kinda eager to put it aside for a while to work on Panorama. There are some things I'd like to add/change, but can be done in later milestones.

My main question to those with access to the test server is: is the current version a working replacement for wars-django?

I'll wait for a couple of days before continuing work on panorama to recover a bit and address any reported issues. Also a good time to enjoy my pandora a bit :)

OK. I think wars-gamenode is ready for 1.0. Truth being told, I'm kinda eager to put it aside for a while to work on Panorama. There are some things I'd like to add/change, but can be done in later milestones.

My main question to those with access to the test server is: is the current version a working replacement for wars-django?

I'll wait for a couple of days before continuing work on panorama to recover a bit and address any reported issues. Also a good time to enjoy my pandora a bit :)

I would say so, that game we played a few weeks ago was wonderful.

Also, before you return to Panorama, can you PLEASE add some sort of force e-mail feature to Wars, to remind another player that it's his turn? Perhaps you can only do it to a player who's up, but hasn't shown activity for a day.

Yay gravedig :)

I've been working on Wars for a while after the rebirth compo ended to get a little vacation from PNDManager. Working on a single thing for too long without breaks lowers interest and motivation, causing bad code and slow progress.

Anyway, first of all, the game is now hosted at my new domain http://wars.bzar.fi/, and the currently running version is the previously "next" version (wars-gamenode). So those of you who only ever visited wars.ewlan.info, it's a whole new thingamajing :) .

During the last week or so I've added animation support using my new asynchronous HTML5 canvas animation framework I created just for this purpose (it's multipurpose, though), called Aja. I've tested it on pandora, and though not entirely fluid, it still looks nice :) . Aja is very much work in progress, and the interface will no doubt change many times as I add support for stuff like rotation.

I'll be moving back to PNDManager development in a couple of days, after I've had time to fix any immediately surfacing bugs. Any comments and bug reports will be appreciated in any case :) (if you have a feature suggestion, check if it's in the roadmap already first).

After I'm done with PNDManager for a while again, there's a little something I'd like to try... ;)

Lovely, have not had the time to check out the changes you made after the last beta, but great to hear it's still worked on - Pandora-PC-cross gaming ftw! :)

Spent a few days (about four plus drawing graphics) to create a hexagonal variant of Wars. A development server is live at http://wars-next.bzar.fi and is about ready for some beta testing. This version will probably supersede the current wars development-wise for several gameplay reasons. There's also eight player support, neutral units and other tweaks. Comments will be appreciated, feature requests will be noted but not acted upon at least until the next time I work on this.

wars-hexes.png

Cool, you made roads, looking very nice. :)

I've noticed that 8 players need 8 different unit colours, pretty much to do graphic wise. ^^ I wonder if there could be a way to colour the units "on the fly" with an palette option, so basicly only the neutral unit graphics are needed. I reemember there were palette switching technics back in the old days of Videogames. No clue if this can be used with your engine.

Palette switching works fine when you have either a low number of shades for the "team color" (so you can make the palettes beforehand and just swap colors) or a way to differentiate the team colored areas from the ones that will not be colored (like it's usually done in 3D games). Because I want to keep theming simple, it's kinda hard to go either way without going into more complex per-pixel operations (slow).

The way I made the different color versions was to just do the player 1 version (red), then copy and paste that to each column, then use gimp's color selection tool to select all the same colored pixels from a column and just recolor them all in one stroke. With my ~6 team color shades it took something like 30 seconds to create each player column.

EDIT: To get the correct color for each shade, keep your target hue in clipboard and just replace the hue with it for each color. (pick color, select by color, open color dialog, set hue to target, paint all selected pixels in target column, repeat)

EDIT2: Also, with palettes you can't have any "in between" hues between the team colored areas and others, which can make higher color count images look funny

Looking good, I like the switch to hex tiles, will open the game quite a bit.

However, for some reason I am not able to login into neither the old (square) Wars, nor the new development server (I might have forgotten my passoword, but it's not giving me an error or anything, after clicking login simply nothing happens).

foxblock: the development server uses a separate database, so you'll need to re-register. Not seeing your user name in square wars' tables either. You have probably registered in the Ye Olde Wars that was based on Django and mysql (wars-django). I didn't migrate the data from there to the current node.js+mongodb version (wars-gamenode).

I am pretty sure I registered to the new version of Wars, but it might have been a beta, well I will re-register then, thanks for the reply.

Back