Paper Wars

Excellent. My Pandora should return in the next couple of days, so that'll be ace :)

yeah still active, we've just gained a little momentum again. i'm rewriting the AI at the moment - got pretty far with my current framework and i'm pretty happy how it turned out (i think it's the 6th approach and definitely the last one ...). traylorpark is creating the interface now (currently ingame, then main menu ...) ...

I hope we can at least release a beta build in the next few weeks for the pandora (now that i have a working toolchain again :) )
WIl you be adding sound effects as well at some point?

yeah still active, we've just gained a little momentum again. i'm rewriting the AI at the moment - got pretty far with my current framework and i'm pretty happy how it turned out (i think it's the 6th approach and definitely the last one ...). traylorpark is creating the interface now (currently ingame, then main menu ...) ...

I hope we can at least release a beta build in the next few weeks for the pandora (now that i have a working toolchain again :) )
WIl you be adding sound effects as well at some point?
if we'll ever find a musician then of course.

there is one musician we're in contact with for a long time from the forums here, but we didn't get anything yet. so we might consider looking for another one ...

Hm...What are you looking for in terms of music and sounds?

Hm...What are you looking for in terms of music and sounds?
well we don't have anything specific in mind - we "only" need a nice tune as a background music (or one for each map, depends on how much effort someone wants to put in, but not mandatory) and the sound fx for shooting, moving, explosion, selection, building, capturing and so on. traylorpark has a list with videos put together and some basic ideas.

You can try jamendo and opengameart to get sounds and music. Works often ok :) . And there are other free sound sites too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second jamendo. I've discovered both Wars: Commando and Space Rocks! soundtracks from there. Oodles of great stuff there.

I usually look around the Newgrounds Audio Portal for tracks.

Everything is CC-BY-SA (NC unless you make an arrangement with the author), you can browse by genre, there are looping tracks and there is quite a good selection of all kinds of music.

(I personally recommend Ambient or Video Game for good background music).

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at those pages. Really want to finish the project ASAP and sound is also one part that is missing since ever.

But if anyone knows how and wants to compose some tunes, we're open for that!

I'm a musician, and would be happy to contribute tunes!  You can hear some of my bands live work, jam recordings, at http://soundcloud.com/rest

If you're interested I can give more examples - PM me privately though.  I'm sitting here in a room full of synthesizers ready to press into action at your command .. ;)

cool, i'll let traylorpark know (as he's the creative mind behind this project :) )

You guys are great! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've actually used SFXR in the past, while it is a great tool, I don't think the sound effects it produces would be a good fit for this game. Probably...

cool, i'll let traylorpark know (as he's the creative mind behind this project :) )
If you guys have enough time why dont you release an updated version for the Dragonbox competition ? :)
it would be nice to have some kind of goal, but it's pretty unfair - so not going to happen.
The game does not have to be finished by then, but a significant improvement over the previous version would be enough, I think :)

Anyway keep up the good work, I am always impressed by what you achieved with Paper Wars, it's brilliant :)

SFXR is a great idea for sound effects and it is easy as hell to work with it, and saves loads of Money and work , and it is free http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html
It's a nice little tool !I have compiled a version and include it in next Code::Blocks PND ;-)
THANK YOU A LOT! I really love the heck out of that tool it is tremendiously useful :D  and yeah new version if possible with a new vídeo :3 i really like the first one.

For SFX, maybe you could try SunVox dynamic library. It allows you to play and control SunVox songs. But I'm not sure if there is an ARM specific version or you can just use the normal linux version of it. If it works then you can either synthesize some SFX within SunVox or you can load samples into it's sampler module. I didn't use the lib myself but it seems to be easy to implement.

Edit: There is ARM version of it in Android folder.

Back