Panjoust - A New Simple Platformer

Monk said:
Hmmm.... OK, working on improving the turn around:

9k9wl0.gif
This looks great! :) Exactly what I thought. He first spotts the enemy with the head so he turns around the head at first. This animation looks pretty natural.

I hope we will see more Enemies and more Graphics for the game. It still needs content, not only sprites and platforms. I also think, to find out the best difficulty for the levels, the Level-Designers should just start and throw as many Levels in as possible. :) Beta Testers then choose in which order the Levels are set - from easy to hard. And at the very end, MarkoeZ chooses the Graphic set for each Level, he sayed that the BG is flexible so we should be able to desin levels without a specific Graphic Set at first. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
This looks great! :) Exactly what I thought. He first spotts the enemy with the head so he turns around the head at first. This animation looks pretty natural.

Glad you like it :) though unless I happened across the right timing AND the right placement for the turn in that animation, it'll need redoing. Laziness has resulted in the simpler animations that followed it, so that I can hopefully do my head pre-turn and tail post-turn motions just one more time (famous last words!).

fusion_power said:
I hope we will see more Enemies and more Graphics for the game. It still needs content, not only sprites and platforms. I also think, to find out the best difficulty for the levels, the Level-Designers should just start and throw as many Levels in as possible. :) Beta Testers then choose in which order the Levels are set - from easy to hard. And at the very end, MarkoeZ chooses the Graphic set for each Level, he sayed that the BG is flexible so we should be able to desin levels without a specific Graphic Set at first. ;)

More characters, as far as I am concerned, is mostly a matter of time. If I didn't have to earn a living too, this would be a lot easier! LOL. In the meantime I'll try to do as much as I can without overloading Markoez.

Here - have a darker green and brown Wyvern:
t89ous.gif

Don't forget, we probably have some kind of rock-throwing troll in the future. The big thing is animating the charatcers and getting the code written to handle them. Animating can be a painstaking back-and-forth process if everyone is to be happy.

Troll - I probably ought to try and do a rouch render of a troll on a magenta background. I wonde rhow large? That's the other problem - the resolution of the Pandora screen. I really want 8000 * 4800 ;)

I also have to try and reign in my imagination - I don't want to give Markoez nightmares about what the game COULD contain, "if only..." ;)

This is really looking good! Well done you guys! Wish I could get some 3D artist to come hang out with me for a week to finish some games .. really seems like a bit of art can inspire a lot of push.

Just a quick note - to make it easier to reference, THIS is turn 1C:

9k9wl0.gif

Making turn file 1D (not saved) is what persuaded me to go back to basics rather than risk too much redo. I wasn't sure 1C would be fast enough and I'm not entirely happy about the way it gets larger then smaller.

torpor said:
This is really looking good! Well done you guys! Wish I could get some 3D artist to come hang out with me for a week to finish some games .. really seems like a bit of art can inspire a lot of push.

Last time I did some 3D for something (Vectorish) I {got irked at wisearses who could do better, easier, but preferred to snipe}.

I'm still up for helping in my own primitive way, though as you know making low-res 3D meshes isn't where I'm in a comfort zone - though it was fun!

Should I go hunting that thread to see what the progress is? But yeah, people like to SEE stuff! LOL. My kid is aching to play "PanJoust" on his PC LOL.

Ta

Right - here's the first stage of "Grab". I've taken a lead from my turning test and produced this animation:

28i6o1s.gif

as a fairly "stiff" timing test. If the timing passes muster then I'll add some head movement, almost certainly some tail movement (I'm tempted to make him stab his imaginary foe) and we'll see where we go from there.

Also, we had some brief chat about the possibility of a troll to throw rocks:

2uyjgr4.jpg

He's a marble statue for now as I haven't started planning out his rock throwing movement. I might see about a rock, but I'm currently picturing a one-arm overhead throw and some kind of "idle" animation.

Yo! Torpor! I'm the last person to have posted in the GridWars thread! What else have you go that needs looking at? Does it have anything that pushes my buttons (like being inspired by a favourite game like GridWars or Joust, or having prehistoric or fantastic critters in it)? This "week" of hanging out you mention - what's the beer like?

...and I'm now at the mercey of others for a while. Hope to check back later :)

Monk: I've got your models, but haven't sorted out texture maps, and sort of ran away from that for a while until I got Bullet built and working, as I want to use it for the physics! :)

So, yeah .. maybe I don't need art so much after all, but I swear .. if there were an artist in the same room as me for a week, I'd get a whole lot more done! It sure makes a difference when you've got someone working on the polish of things ..

Man, not a post, but a page to reply to :p

I like the speed of the 02b render as well, but i also like the 1C turnaround animation. Although, as you mentioned, the zoom looks kinda off, so let's just forget about that.

Dive looks pretty good already.

LOL. My kid is aching to play "PanJoust" on his PC LOL.

When i have the dragon implemented better, i'll try a new windows build :) the last one is months old already (but still downloadable and playable if you'd like to try)

fusion_power said:

More graphics and other content will come, no worries. This game has moved at a slow but steady pace all this time, and will continue in that same way :) But i hope you will be pleasantly surprised that even with the current content, the game is very enjoyable already. The flying gives the game some unpredictability that makes re-playing fun. And with the time limit added to some, those levels really feel different to play.

Cheers!

Edit: And i'll get that windows build online so people can start messing with levelmaking. Think it's solid enough now to a point where level fileconfiguration does not change much more

Cool - I'll take Turn 2B as a starting point and basically plan to add similar enhancements to those seen in 1C. I'll also take the current "Grab" as the starting point for similar enhancements (i.e. getting the Wyvern to look down either just before or at the same time as grabbing the player character, and optionally stabbing the player character with its tail).

Phew! No idea when I'll get to that, obviously - it's currently 20:15 where I am and I've just got back from a client, looking forward to some supper!

Current Windows build is probably a good idea, but I'll hold off for a bit if I may - if there's a new Windows build looming then I'd rather install things less often than more. Plus time... tomorrow is looking a bit iffy time-wise, so unless I get more animating done today there'll be no time for that for a few days, much less playing the game!

Ta,

Hiya all,

It is time for a new windows snapshot. Not cleaned, since i did not want to waste too much time at this point. So there are some debugging numbers visible, font is different, but still not final, etc.

Panjoust Windows(32 bit) build

Oh, and they are not really beginner levels, srry :p

For those eager to try the level editor (Jourdy? ;-), it is still raw, new levels can only be added by copying a current level and editing that. What i suggest if you really want to try to make new levels: Start cleaning and rebuilding level one. Easy testing that way, just start to play.

The controls, since there is no guidance in the game yet:

Click Leveleditor in the main menu (doh)
File selection: click and select with mouse (Pandora TS), or with arrows and X (Pandora Dpad and A)

You start the level editor in neutral mode, nothing selected. In this mode you can scroll around with the arrow keys (Dpad).
Click on any object to select it.
You can then move stuff around by clicking and dragging with the mouse (not sure how that works on pandora), or more detailed with the arrow keys (Dpad again).

Useful one: to return to neutral mode to scroll around with nothing selected: press Q (Pandora left shoulder)

With object type you can change between objects of the same type. So an egg can become a rock or flying egg, but not an enemy. Same way a platform cannot becom an egg. Just delete and create with the appropriate button if you want to (New enemy for instance)

Time limit: If you set it to zero, no time limit is used for that level

Rest of the buttons is pretty self explanatory

If you change the graphic set, it will not show yet. Only the text will change. That is a limitation of the object classes i used from the main game. Will be fixed when more time is available. For now, just play and see ;)

Enemy scope: You have to click on the minus, then an input box appears. Still heavily in development, but if you just enter a number it works :)
No scope on the dragon although bars still show.

Oh, and don't try the jungle level yet, no graphics.

Edit: Description of objects available in the leveleditor:
Code:
Attributes	

Attrib number	Type

1	Platform
3	Windmill
4	icecolumn
10	sign right
11	sign left
12	sign up
13	sign down
14	sign danger
15	sign exit
16	sign rock
17	sign empty
20	helisign right
21	helisign left
22	helisign up
23	helisign down
24	helisign danger
25	helisign exit
26	helisign rock
27	helisign empty

Specials		

Special number		type

1		Cage
2		egg
3		specialegg
4		rock
5		egglicopter
6		catapult

Enemies		

Enemy Number		type

0		bird
1		porq
2		Dragon

MarkoeZ said:
Yes, I also can design a mean level full of enemies where nobody survives 2 seconds, no Problem ;)
I think I keep suggesting things instead of trying to play this Game, its not in my talent-area I guess :lol:

Oh, most important thing: Please use a READABLE Font into the Editor, there is no need to use this beautiful but hard to read middle-age font into an working environment. ^_^

Would be great if we see in the Editor what we see in the Game, so we could just play with graphics and add new layers, own Graphics and "compose" while we switching between editor and Level-testing. Just an Idea for the more distant Future. :)

fusion_power said:
MarkoeZ said:
Yes, I also can design a mean level full of enemies where nobody survives 2 seconds, no Problem ;)
I think I keep suggesting things instead of trying to play this Game, its not in my talent-area I guess :lol:

Oh, most important thing: Please use a READABLE Font into the Editor, there is no need to use this beautiful but hard to read middle-age font into an working environment. ^_^

Would be great if we see in the Editor what we see in the Game, so we could just play with graphics and add new layers, own Graphics and "compose" while we switching between editor and Level-testing. Just an Idea for the more distant Future. :)

Well, the first level is easy enough without the dragon that was slapped in. Go to the level editor, and remove it ;)

the font is something that im currently working on, will indeed be more readable

Thanks for testing!

Initial feel - without reading objectives or other threads or anything.

Ouch, that Wyvern is mean! LOL. I'm finding it impossible to go down - it seems that if you fall (even deliberately) more than a couple of pixels, that sets you into an unrecovarable dive :(

A countdown beep once you reach 10 seconds would be nice, as would some way of highlighting exactly what killed you (flash the dragon, gryffein, or countdown timer to say "It was this factor what did for you!") as I tend to lose sight of the timer compeltely and wonder if it was the culprit. Actually, keeping the "zero" of the countdown timer visible for longer might do instead?

We're finding actually selecting the dragon to delete him in the level editor to be tricky - may need to read up on using the level editor somewhere.

My kid really wants this version on his PC to play so I guess I'd better get a thumb drive out!

Ta,

OK - my sin't gone straight to the level editor. We can't get any number or text to show up in the Ibject Tree, and nothing seems to be flashing either - so as far as we can tell, initially, it's impossible to delete the Wyvern :(

"CollectGoal", "KillGoal", and "Time Limit" (why does only Time Limit have a space?) all work as expected, though KillGoal has some odd text/value beneath it.

"Graphic Set" works, though there's no value int he dial the name of the graphic set is displayed beneath.

Maybe that doesn't say Object Tree? We can't see what it does/get it to do anything :(

We think a live "Thumbnail" of the level, so you can see everything - including flashing selected item - in a tiny overview, would be really nice/neat/helpful.

103he9e.png

The Boy is having fun playing with PanJoust already!

Ah! The memories that brings back of the pteranodon in Joust! I thought that beastie was unbeatable initially :(

Back