Panjoust Gl_Es Beta Playtesters Wanted

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Hello!

I posted something similar to this in the Panjoust thread in the Dev section 2 days ago, and that resulted in exactly one download, and zero feedback :p

Sooo: I made an OpenGL_ES build of Panjoust that needs some playtesting! It's not pnd'd, i don't want it to be really "out there" yet, but you just extract the download, copy the resulting folder to SD and run the executable on your Pandora from file browser or prompt. To those that have not followed since the first PND Demo release, it now has selectable difficulty (removing wingflap if you want), different bird behavior, and gameplay should be more fluent and consistent with GL_Es rendering.

I really want feedback on gameplay experience and bugs in the single player version of the game, since the SDL->OpenGL_Es conversion really affected a lot of small stuff. (oh about the the text bug and the transparency of the buttons, i know those)
2 player one pandora gamemode is also selectable and playable, but there are some slight movement/collision/other bugs left there. Feel free to play around and report your findings though! ;)

Anyway, get it here: Panjoust Pandora GL_Es testbuild (Downloaded content to be used for Testing purposes only, and further distribution is not allowed, etc etc)

If anyone with a Pandora has the time to play it a bit and report the flaws/issues/bugs that would be amazing.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

p.s. it also has a Windows executable, that is NOT POLISHED but fully playable. So enjoy if you want, but no quality feedback on that plz, it's just my latest testbuild

Did you add (or are planning to add) any GLES effects? or is this using GLES for 2d accel (storing objects as textures etc), or just using one big blit using GLES ...

Just strikes me, from the screenshots I remember seeing, it was a pure 2d game, so not a loot to gain from GLES (except some performance increase from using hw blits say), so I'm curious :)

Sorry, not had time to check it out :(

jeff

Also post to OPBoards .. they seem more busy for Pandora stuff (I usually get more replies there.) Community-split ..

skeezix said:
Did you add (or are planning to add) any GLES effects? or is this using GLES for 2d accel (storing objects as textures etc), or just using one big blit using GLES ...
Well it started with rotations irritatingly lagging the game (The windmill is just too nice to give up), and Panjoust is also a testplatform for Penjin, so that's another reason. PokeParadox is the Engine Man, he can answer more technical questions better then i can.

I just noticed it ran better after the switch :p (oh and ironed out the bugs/offsets that were the result, not like i sat back and watched ; )

And thanks for the tip, ill post on the OP board as well. Edit: or ill wait a bit and see how it goes here, if a couple of people really test, thats enough for now. Oh, and already a 100% increase in downloads ;)

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkoeZ said:
And thanks for the tip, ill post on the OP board as well. Edit: or ill wait a bit and see how it goes here, if a couple of people really test, thats enough for now. Oh, and already a 100% increase in downloads ;)
You might also want to try the Beta Testing section. I managed to get quite a bit of feedback for BubbMan. But General Talk should attract attention too.

skeezix said:

Just strikes me, from the screenshots I remember seeing, it was a pure 2d game, so not a loot to gain from GLES (except some performance increase from using hw blits say), so I'm curious :)
It's mainly rotations and alpha blending that benefit from ES. The game itself is only using 2D features of Penjin. Images are converted to textures at load time and blitted nice and quickly as quads(well TRIANGLE_FAN but you get the idea...)

ok, just tried a quick game or two.

It's come on a fair bit since I last played it. Very nice too.

A few thoughts:

1. the main menu up/down sounds seem to play a while before the menu option moves.
2. the player selection screen doesn't allow d-pad/A button selection, so I had to use touch.
3. Nice intro tutorial, but is it part of every game or will you be able to skip it?

Otherwise as I say, nice. I'll try and get a bit further, but I find it is quite hard (in a good way).
Al

PurplePup said:
ok, just tried a quick game or two.

It's come on a fair bit since I last played it. Very nice too.

A few thoughts:

1. the main menu up/down sounds seem to play a while before the menu option moves.
2. the player selection screen doesn't allow d-pad/A button selection, so I had to use touch.
3. Nice intro tutorial, but is it part of every game or will you be able to skip it?

Otherwise as I say, nice. I'll try and get a bit further, but I find it is quite hard (in a good way).
Al

Ah, thanks for testing!

1 Yes the intro menu does seem to have sort of a lag, but i have no idea what the cause is. It's on the todo list, just not that high ;)
2 Yup, it's touch only for now, but working on dpad option movement. Start and A button work as "play" button here now, but i need to do some more restructuring of the options class to finish it up.
3 Currently it is. In the future there will be an option to start at certain point in the game after you first reached them, but you will start with score zero. So you can finish the game without replaying the whole thing, but for a highscore attack you'll have to start from scratch. This is just a thought i have and is up for discussion if anyone has another idea.

Again, Thanks.
Cheers!

MarkoeZ

Back