Pandora Status Update

I know exactly what is involved in a community project - I was involved as a pre-orderer with the Empeg, the in-car Linux based mp3 player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

We put our money (close to $1500) down, and we got regular updates and photos at every stage of the manufacturing, assembly, testing and shipping processes. These updates would have probably taken the team 5 minutes at a time.

Why can't the Pandora team do the same? THAT is why I'm asking these questions.

ngchol said:
I know exactly what is involved in a community project - I was involved as a pre-orderer with the Empeg, the in-car Linux based mp3 player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

We put our money (close to $1500) down, and we got regular updates and photos at every stage of the manufacturing, assembly, testing and shipping processes. These updates would have probably taken the team 5 minutes at a time.

I guess they can't just send every single display in for mass assembly. Apart from that, you already got photos from the first PCBs, got the info about wifi antenna (sounded very good to me) and that there might be delays caused by LCDs not being delivered within the agreed time schedule. I am sure that pictures will be made available as soon as they got the first pandora back from assembly.

Mind you, I ordered my Mazda in August last year and only got it delivered in March this year. Presumably the reason was a delay with the navigation system. Maybe (just guessing) they had problems getting the large touchscreens in time (most cars are delivered without build-in navi) B)
Anyway, neither the dealer nor Mazda Germany could tell me anything about my order and the possible delays (and I didn't get any pictures from assembly either). Oh, and I paid much more than $1500 for the car (agreed, it wasn't prepaid, but I had to have the money ready nonetheless).

My experience so far is that we get informed pretty quickly about changes, progress and problems, so I don't see a reason to complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
MiniSinisterMinister said:
I have order no 30XX or so. Does that correspond to my place int he queue?
You are a Landsmann aren't you?
In Germany they started with 2299 and were actually online before the rest of the world. If I remember correctly , around 700 P.s were sold in Germany.

ahhhh damn, my order is in that 700 :(

Spectator said:
mali said:
MiniSinisterMinister said:
I have order no 30XX or so. Does that correspond to my place int he queue?
You are a Landsmann aren't you?
In Germany they started with 2299 and were actually online before the rest of the world. If I remember correctly , around 700 P.s were sold in Germany.

ahhhh damn, my order is in that 700 :(

ED said that UK/international orders aren't being privileged as someone erroneously stated, so everything is open, yet :)

ngchol said:
http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?set_albu...=view_album.php
[...]

Presumably when there exist pictures of Craigix (or whoever) standing behind a giant pile of Pandoras, we'll get to see those pictures.

Ditto for when there are pictures of a giant stack of Pandoras having their mailing labels stuck on.

An update that says "This is me. Sitting here typing filling out the form for credit card refunds aproximately three thousand times." would A) be depressing, and B) not tell us anything we haven't already been told.

The delay is entirely my fault. I have never pre-ordered anything that hasn't been delayed, even from big guys with the delivery date less than a month away. The most telling was Half Life 2, which I pre-ordered a month before it's original scheduled release. Then some drama with stolen source, and it got delayed by a year. Got a T-Shirt out of the deal though.
So if you really need to blame delays on anything, blame them on me.

WizardStan, don't take this personally, but you're banned from re-ordering if you get the refund ;) :D

WizardStan said:
The delay is entirely my fault. I have never pre-ordered anything that hasn't been delayed, even from big guys with the delivery date less than a month away. The most telling was Half Life 2, which I pre-ordered a month before it's original scheduled release. Then some drama with stolen source, and it got delayed by a year. Got a T-Shirt out of the deal though.

you f***** ******** ;)

:p

WizardStan said:
100 lashings with a wet noodle! ;)

WizardStan said:
You take the blame for the delays, and I'll take the blame for the failure of the company. ;)

Hi there,

So I paid through protx, and haven't received an email asking me to reorder.

Can I take it then that my order is otherwise fine?

Cheers!

Duncan said:
Hi there,

So I paid through protx, and haven't received an email asking me to reorder.

Can I take it then that my order is otherwise fine?

Cheers!

don't know, but I did through protx as well. If you receive any mail please tell :) My antipsam filter is very nasty

I paid through protx and I just got the email. :eek:
It's all good though. I'm happy with the increased specs and don't mind too much having to wait a little longer. I really want it before xmas though. :D

antheus123 said:
I payed through protx aswell no email for me yet.
Same with you, but I think all of Craigs stuff go through them, or at least it did for the GP2X too

pan832.jpg

;)

darkwave said:
I paid through protx and I just got the email. :eek:
It's all good though. I'm happy with the increased specs and don't mind too much having to wait a little longer. I really want it before xmas though. :D
Ah, so we'll all get it eventually? I don't know what's happening any more. :(

Duncan said:
Ah, so we'll all get it eventually? I don't know what's happening any more. :(

Maybe you will and maybe you won't. I've said it a few times, and I'll keep saying it until everybody gets it: There is no pattwern for who has to reorder. It is essentially random.

Back