Pandora Mk0 Devboard - Some Hires Videos

Everything's coming together now!

Any chance we could get the name of the track used in the video? I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Did somebody put these on youtube yet? My suse distribution wont let me play any nice stuff with vid players :(

michield said:
Did somebody put these on youtube yet? My suse distribution wont let me play any nice stuff with vid players :(
Patent issues? If you're really struggling, compiling mplayer from source really isn't that difficult.

Or you culd just use ubuntu, where that sort of thing just works :)

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Patent issues? If you're really struggling, compiling mplayer from source really isn't that difficult.

Or you culd just use ubuntu, where that sort of thing just works :)

Sam

True, but there were some dependencies which could not be resolved that mplayer needed so I would have to sort all that out manually. It is not my home computer so installing a distro that just works was not an option. But...

Also, there's a video here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/pandora...ware-linux-and/

this works, thanks a ton! Wow this looks awesome!

michield said:
Make sure to grab the packman repos, and then you can grab codecs for just about anything. Btw, the people on the #suse are really helpful. I'm on openSuSE 11, and everything works just fine, including that video.

Nice videos, can someone help me with what we're actually seeing here? There was some pretty good editing at the expense of full clarity as far as I'm concerned.

Is the board attached to another computer? The shots of the command line and linux booting are clearly not on the Pandora screen, so where are they? I'm not sure of the mechanics of this, is the board itself being booted externally? In which case is that because the board will not just boot up on it's own?

a

aliking said:
The shots of the command line and linux booting are clearly not on the Pandora screen, so where are they? I'm not sure of the mechanics of this, is the board itself being booted externally? In which case is that because the board will not just boot up on it's own?
The board boots on its own. It is being controlled externally because the physical keys for the keypad have not been manufactured yet, and there is no other way to run programs. Obviously, the GUI is not done yet either.

I'm not a programmer and am not very familiar with Linux, so I am not entirely clear how it is done. I do know that the Pandora is booting a Linux kernel and running the programs you see in the video.

aliking said:
Nice videos, can someone help me with what we're actually seeing here? There was some pretty good editing at the expense of full clarity as far as I'm concerned.

Is the board attached to another computer? The shots of the command line and linux booting are clearly not on the Pandora screen, so where are they? I'm not sure of the mechanics of this, is the board itself being booted externally? In which case is that because the board will not just boot up on it's own?

a
I believe it is all running on the pandora, including the command-line. The board just isn't in the case for whatever reason.

aliking said:
To board is connected to a PC running a terminal emulator, as thats much easier than trying to use the keyboard on the Pandora by using a screwdriver and shorting out the connections :) It also makes sense is that case that the textual output is sent to the PC.

Otherwise, the board boots up on it's own, and the graphics on displayed on the LCD connected to the board. The PC just sends commands and gets textual responses.

JayFoxRox said:
Chip: Why not connect an USB keyboard?
It may be that the USB controller is not fully sorted out yet. There were some issues with it earlier on, and though they were solved in theory, they might not have had a chance to solve them in practice yet. You have to remember that there is only one person working on this stuff full-time. Everybody else is a part-time volunteer with a day job. Even Craigix has his online store to run and other projects like the iControlpad to take up his time.

Or maybe ED just didn't have a USB keyboard lying around. I don't know.

Even with a USB keyboard, you still need to send the text somewhere. There isn't a driver yet to convert console text to graphics for the LCD, so you would still need a PC for that function.

Yes, I know it's not exactly that difficult to write such a driver, but if you have something that works, why waste time on things that are not as important as others (such as proving the hardware works) ?

Squidge said:
Even with a USB keyboard, you still need to send the text somewhere. There isn't a driver yet to convert console text to graphics for the LCD, so you would still need a PC for that function.

Yes, I know it's not exactly that difficult to write such a driver, but if you have something that works, why waste time on things that are not as important as others (such as proving the hardware works) ?

I am not sure how that works but, how do you get the emulators to show on the lcd and not the texts, console inputs?

Well, once the GUI gets started, I'm sure xterm will quickly follow. Right?

FRZ said:
Squidge said:

I am not sure how that works but, how do you get the emulators to show on the lcd and not the texts, console inputs?

A screen is just pixel data. Programs write their pixel data to the frame buffer, and it displays to the screen.
In order to print text to the screen, a driver needs to be written to take character text in memory, and convert that to pixel data that can be displayed on the screen. A simple terminal driver is almost trivial, but still requires some time to develop. Once the hardware has been proven, and a lot of graphic apps are known to be working, I'm sure someone can bust out a terminal in a few days tops.

BTW, I submitted the story to engadget B) (chris = me).

Let's hope more emu demos start rolling out now :D

Back