Pandora Mk0 Devboard - Some Hires Videos

PlopperZ said:
Titcher said:
GUIs are nice and everything but I'll probably find myself using the CLI more.
I remember reading quite a while ago that the GUI would eat system resources even while running in the background, is this still true?

Well naturally it would, but one of the devs stated that you could kill it when playing cpu intensive apps like the psx emulator, and keep it on with lighter apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
_VWV_ said:
From "Some July updates" posted by michael at www.openpandora.org

- Wifi/BT is now integrated into the final pre-production PCB.

So that you've shown us not the final one?
Definitely not the final pre-production PCB. :(

The thread title says "Mk0 Devboard" and you can read "© MJW Designs / Feb 2008 / rev 1.0" on the top left corner of the back pic.

Edit : Moreover, doesn't seem to have the A/V connector on the back side of the case.

On the bright side, the video gives a really nice view of the bottom/inside part of the case with the battery compartment :)

+1 for using CLI to launch stuff, I'd rather go CLI => GUI => CLI => Games / Emus. I however know, this will not be the case with the final firmware (although it may be an option) because it is anything but user friendly. I'm not a user though, I'm a geek. Geek friendly ftw!

TaG said:
anexanhume said:
I think this is what everyone has been waiting for. Maybe now people will be satisfied

For how long though?
Yeah, er, the video kinda went too fast for me. Can I have more of it?

FRZ said:
TaG said:
anexanhume said:
I think this is what everyone has been waiting for. Maybe now people will be satisfied

For how long though?
Yeah, er, the video kinda went too fast for me. Can I have more of it?
Of course press this button : [|<<] then this one [ |> ] :D

also i agree with TiKub on the pcb not looking updated. No change as far as I can see between the first blog post and the picture the was posted on the second page. It doesnt look like it has been changed for the new wifi chip.

The only thing I worry about is launch being further away then it has been stated :/

AireTamStorm said:
+1 for using CLI to launch stuff, I'd rather go CLI => GUI => CLI => Games / Emus. I however know, this will not be the case with the final firmware (although it may be an option) because it is anything but user friendly. I'm not a user though, I'm a geek. Geek friendly ftw!

CLI will always be the true pc master program, os.

Holy crap, that was Linux!! Bash is beats any GUI any day, that's what I want to use, absolutely no user interface for me!

Man, I'm excited now, I can't wait to start playing with Linux on my Pandora. Now I want to install Gentoo on it, they have a ton of ebuilds that run on arm. I can boot off of one of the SD's can't I? I would want to keep the Linux that is on it to play the emu's that are written for it, but would want Gentoo to play with/do everything else on.

I'm really excited that it's an actual Linux install, one that I can play with.

Yeah, to tell you the truth, if the Pandora didn't have that keyboard I think I'd get another handheld, like a PSP or something to play emu's. But a keyboard will allow me to do sooooooooo much more, that makes the Pandora worth it.

I am really excited!!!!!!!!

second exodous said:
Holy crap, that was Linux!! Bash is beats any GUI any day, that's what I want to use, absolutely no user interface for me!

Man, I'm excited now, I can't wait to start playing with Linux on my Pandora. Now I want to install Gentoo on it, they have a ton of ebuilds that run on arm. I can boot off of one of the SD's can't I? I would want to keep the Linux that is on it to play the emu's that are written for it, but would want Gentoo to play with/do everything else on.

I'm really excited that it's an actual Linux install, one that I can play with.

Yeah, to tell you the truth, if the Pandora didn't have that keyboard I think I'd get another handheld, like a PSP or something to play emu's. But a keyboard will allow me to do sooooooooo much more, that makes the Pandora worth it.

I am really excited!!!!!!!!

The main reason I wanna get this device. Its a miniature laptop that will be able to fit in my pockets. The keyboard is a huge plus for me.

Wow! thanks you so much for the vid. I needed something soon to slam in my buddy's face to prove this won't be another Gizmondo

Flaming_Trashcan said:
EvilDragon said:
And a bit more...
Front
Back

I don't understand; why do these videos not move? It's just a still picture for me, does anyone else have this problem?

Hehe, your funny... I hope... God I hope your funny D;

Gah, how embarrassing! They've used an early build of PandaSNES that doesn't clear the screen (hence the junk left over from the previous programs) and has the SNES screen jammed up into the top-left of the Pandora's screen!

Rest assured, in real life PandaSNES has a nice centred view with no leftover junk. :D

miniK0bo said:
During the linux boot up, anyone noticed the reference to OMAP3430?
Yup, I noticed this as well (along with what seems to clearly be a PSX emulator on the SD card, but not loaded up in the video), but that's what I expected with such an early revision Pandora board (which I figure would have one of the early OMAP SoCs that they got their hands on).

Azure said:
miniK0bo said:
During the linux boot up, anyone noticed the reference to OMAP3430?
Yup, I noticed this as well (along with what seems to clearly be a PSX emulator on the SD card, but not loaded up in the video), but that's what I expected with such an early revision Pandora board (which I figure would have one of the early OMAP SoCs that they got their hands on).

I'm pretty sure the MK0 has the OMAP3530, same one used in the final product. I also noticed the PSX emu and the mplayer. I wonder if the current mplayer can play the Hi-RES video of ED. Especially the 1080i :rolleyes:

miniK0bo: I doubt that the mplayer can play these videos yet, it was said that the video decoding is still done on the ARM, not the DSP (I could be wrong, but this is something I remember)

Back