Pandora Mascot

Note : Red Pandas are not actually larger than the Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear VS Raccoon is somewhat irrelevant when you consider that Raccoons, the little bastards that they are, are probably more of a nuisance and further removed from cute than any bear derivative I've ever heard of. They're about as welcome as rats and pigeons!
Have you SEEN the Red Panda? They are very similar to raccoons in looks, yet they are so damn cute!
-God Ginrai

63622751_a825294560.jpg
<------------------red panda
While the red panda can indeed be called a firefox, I don't believe that is where the Mozilla team got the name Firefox. I will be willing to believe it if you can point me to an animal that is known as the Thunderbird, and one that is called the Sunbird.

-God Ginrai

While the red panda can indeed be called a firefox, I don't believe that is where the Mozilla team got the name Firefox. I will be willing to believe it if you can point me to an animal that is known as the Thunderbird, and one that is called the Sunbird.
Since it was renamed twice from Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox I'll bet their biggest concern was just finding a name that wasn't trademarked by someone.

doh... red panda translate to (translated backward) small panda in french... what a disapointment...

I have two points to make: The idea of a mascot and the idea of a logo are getting mixed up. The graphic of the panda playing the pandora looks really nice, but I haven't seen it move or hang about in different poses. Tux is Linux's mascot, but also its logo. Pandora has a logo. If you want to create a MASCOT, you need to approach it like you would a cartoon or video game character: Deciding on a style that works for it, and then figuring a mascot that could represent all aspects of the Pandora.

And that's my next point... The Panda. How is that a Pandora? I'm not sure it's a big seller to have an animal that has of late mostly been reported on for their lack of willingness to reproduce and hence survive as a species. They're a fluffy animal that could tear your face off, sure, but if that's what you want, you could just as easily go for a Tazmanian devil (no, not the cartoon character).

What are the key aspects of the Pandora?
Power
Versatility (MID + gaming + PMP)
Adaptability (through hacking)
Community-oriented
Underdog

Pandas are powerful, but they're neither versatile nor adaptible. Also, they're so universally loved that what's the point? Why not find an animal that is slightly more maligned or at least more quirky? Like... Well, like the tazmanian devil. Or some sort of bug (Bugs are generally adaptible, powerful and preyed on by a multitude of beasts). A raccoon, an armadillo, a platypus!

Platypuses (Or Platypi, if you prefer):
Have features of several different other animals (duck-bill, beaver-tail, a mammal that lays eggs)
They're deceptively powerful (they have a poison gland at their back feet)
Adaptible by nature, living in and out of the water.
Quirky underdogs. They're famous for being strange!

Of course, there's also the community angle to take into account. You could do ants, for example, which are strong, live in and for their communities, adaptible and hard-working. Termites are another good one, but they're maybe a bit TOO maligned.

Anyway, I know that this thread is mostly about having fun and being creative, but this is some food for thought. I'm not saying "GO FOR PLATYPUSES!" or "GO FOR ANTS!" just "think differently". Don't get too bogged down in how nice a panda-logo you can create but try to create a mascot that creatively incorporates the unique aspects of the Pandora and that you could have fun with. It helps to think "What would a comic book with this character look like?" simply because it forces you to think different poses and situations.

I might try something myself, but don't quote me on that.

Also: Hello again. Long time no type. I've been watching, though.

All I was trying to say was he had seen a red panda before :'(

No offense mate, but they even sell Red Pandas (Firefoxes) in their official Mozilla store. These Firefoxes look exactly like Red Pandas.

redpanda-walk.jpg

14%2082000E.jpg

You don't have to believe something for it to be real :)

Well, will you believe it if the Mozilla team says it themselves?
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/fi...x-name-faq.html

I'd also be willing to bet it was a second thought thing, rather than part of the actual consideration of the name, but I could be wrong. "Oh snap, this name is taken. Oh snap! That name is taken. Is this name taken? No? YOINK! ... hey, apparently a Firefox is a red panda. We can use that as some sort of marketing gimmick."

The problem with a Tasmanian Devil is that it is possibly the single worst-smelling animal in the world. Do you want to send a message that the Pandora stinks?

Well, will you believe it if the Mozilla team says it themselves?
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/fi...x-name-faq.html

I'd also be willing to bet it was a second thought thing, rather than part of the actual consideration of the name, but I could be wrong. "Oh snap, this name is taken. Oh snap! That name is taken. Is this name taken? No? YOINK! ... hey, apparently a Firefox is a red panda. We can use that as some sort of marketing gimmick."
+1

Magnulus, I understand what you are saying about the mascot and logo thing. However, I think you are way off-base in your argument against the Panda. It's not like we said "We need a mascot, what's a cool animal?" The reason we chose a Panda is because a lot of people have just shortened Pandora to Panda as a little pet name for their Pandora. This gives us ample reason to choose a Panda to be the mascot. A platypus on the other hand has no such relation to the handheld. I don't know about you, but I know I haven't seen people going around saying "I can't wait until I get my platypus and play some Quake 3!"

-God Ginrai

Magnulus, I understand what you are saying about the mascot and logo thing. However, I think you are way off-base in your argument against the Panda. It's not like we said "We need a mascot, what's a cool animal?" The reason we chose a Panda is because a lot of people have just shortened Pandora to Panda as a little pet name for their Pandora. This gives us ample reason to choose a Panda to be the mascot. A platypus on the other hand has no such relation to the handheld. I don't know about you, but I know I haven't seen people going around saying "I can't wait until I get my platypus and play some Quake 3!"
I haven't seen people say that they can't wait to install Tux or Penguin on their PCs either, but that didn't stop the Linux foundation (or whoever came up with Tux). I'm just saying that in a thread meant to be about creative exploration of what a Pandora mascot could be wouldn't do too badly being a bit more open-minded. Also, I stand by my point about the whole logo/ mascot thing, which is also something that hasn't been adressed.

Aethix: I like how you latched on to five throw-away words in my entire post and then decided to argue against that. Funny post, though.

and wouldn't be cool to tell that "the blue panda use the red panda on the pandora to browse the web" ?

Back