A Launch title - A community effort.

bosbeetle said:
Id like to see a washing machine emulator as launch title. To fully show of the emulating abilities of the pandora :wink:
why stop there?
MAKE A LOLCODE INTERPRETER AND EVERYONE WILL BUY!

Ok seriously Pandora needs... ... ...
A...

Game, but not super mario clone.
based around a mascot.
Not a mascot based around a game.
So...
I summed up the last several pages.

Antoligy said:
bosbeetle said:
Id like to see a washing machine emulator as launch title. To fully show of the emulating abilities of the pandora :wink:
why stop there?
MAKE A LOLCODE INTERPRETER AND EVERYONE WILL BUY!

Ok seriously Pandora needs... ... ...
A...

Game, but not super mario clone.
based around a mascot.
Not a mascot based around a game.
So...
I summed up the last several pages.
and that mascot needs to be a not generic anime character

1172773472_d8e006891f.jpg

Like that you mean?

Do we really have to base the game on the name of the console? I mean, limiting the main plotline to ancient greece is quite a big limitation, and kind of stifles innovation. Although if we're using SMC then innovation is kind of dead anyway.
ben_monk said:
Possible Story:
Basically, Pandora has just opened the box, so Zeus is happy that he tricked her, so Pandora plans to get revenge. With help from the other Gods, she plans to travel through the lands of Greece and the Underworld to reach him and battle him for vengeance (ethier have Zeus replacing the Giant Turtle Boss, or have the Pieces make something that can destroy Zeus)
Taking Sonic and Mario as examples of mascots and stories that are light-hearted, you have:

- A hero with determination. (Tick on determination, but revenge doesn't seem very heroic. Maybe she just wants to put things back to normal/put everything back in the box?)
- A obviously evil power to stop. (I wouldn't say that Zeus is evil enough, myself.)
- Many worlds and areas to traverse (Tick.)
- A unique gimmick that shows unique ability, either from the console or the character. (Unknown at present, I guess.)

The game is open source, so could there be some customization there? Even if it's just something like more elemental powerups or something... although I guess that most of the devs will busy converting things to Pandora.

I'm going to commit social suicide by saying that I highly doubt any sort of project will get off the ground until someone mans up and decides to lead it. Right now this thread has gone on for 9 pages and not a single person has said "Yes, I'll do it. I'm making a Platformer/RTS/etc... Who here is good at spriting/composing/modeling? Let's exchange emails and see what we can do."

I would suggest someone with a good deal of knowledge steps up and assembles a team, otherwise this isn't going to go anywhere.

Warpshade said:
Do we really have to base the game on the name of the console? I mean, limiting the main plotline to ancient greece is quite a big limitation, and kind of stifles innovation. Although if we're using SMC then innovation is kind of dead anyway.
ben_monk said:
Possible Story:
Basically, Pandora has just opened the box, so Zeus is happy that he tricked her, so Pandora plans to get revenge. With help from the other Gods, she plans to travel through the lands of Greece and the Underworld to reach him and battle him for vengeance (ethier have Zeus replacing the Giant Turtle Boss, or have the Pieces make something that can destroy Zeus)
Taking Sonic and Mario as examples of mascots and stories that are light-hearted, you have:

- A hero with determination. (Tick on determination, but revenge doesn't seem very heroic. Maybe she just wants to put things back to normal/put everything back in the box?)
- A obviously evil power to stop. (I wouldn't say that Zeus is evil enough, myself.)
- Many worlds and areas to traverse (Tick.)
- A unique gimmick that shows unique ability, either from the console or the character. (Unknown at present, I guess.)

The game is open source, so could there be some customization there? Even if it's just something like more elemental powerups or something... although I guess that most of the devs will busy converting things to Pandora.

OK sure. SMC may kinda limit it, but this is supposed to be a quick and easy Pandora game that won't require too much effort- if someone can create an original game from the ground up, featuring an original Pandora mascot from the ground up, by all means go ahead!

Maybe if the story was the prologue then people would see how evil Zeus is? And a unique gimmick... well not much with the limitations of an adapted port!

Let's hope someone can organise this... if not one person'll have to be chosen to do an 'Official' Pandora Mascot game. Maybe instead, for an easier community task, every developer interested could make a comical mini-game, 'Wario-Ware' style, that could be threaded together to make a proper, and easy, community launch game.

hey

I say if ya serious about making a game, just make something simple, alike a little puzzle game. I mean, I doubt many of us would have done such a thing before, and I think to start off with something big is quite risky. Another advantage of a simple game is that the game mechanics can be well tested and polished before release.

Maybe you could make a game called Pandora's Box, where you must move boxes into place to complete a puzzle, or you must try and open a box by doing something or other. Just something basic and simple.

But yea, I think big stories and such are out of the question. I think they just take too much time to refine, polish and implement.

I'm sure once you define the game mechanics a programmer could program the thing in a matter of days (I would be willing to have a go).

It's not very hard for a programmer in the know to WIP up the base for a platform game, such that levels are made of tiles and you can move and jump and such, what I think is hard is defining and implementing the gameplay, finding exceptional artists who can make all the character animations, backgrounds, and tiles, and finding a musician. You might get people who can do all these things, but I think they should only focus on one thing for such a project.

I have my own tools for generating a tilemap from a tga image of a map, where it searches and extracts each unique tile and stores an index to them, if I make any sense. Obviously I can load and view the map in my 2d game/graphics lib. I've also made some basic mario side scrollers before, and tile level editors, but I am still yet to make a side scroller game. Hmm, well I have started a few side scrollers before, and started some level graphics (pixels), but I seem to lose interest, although I'd really like to complete such a game some day.

I read something interesting the other day, about the making of Half-Life, something that is a big part of their workflow is gameplay testing. It seems to be that they don't accept an idea as being fun until it has been tested. If you are interested then checkout The Cabal: Valve’s Design Process For Creating Half-Life, you may also be interested in the making of Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

It's funny, I'd like to get a game done for launch, but if it was Nintendo or something then I'd rather them delay the thing to make it better than have it ready for launch.

edit
Lets get started
This is an attempt to organise something and get things moving.

I think to begin we should have everyone who would like to be involved to state how they would like to contribute, whether that be code, gfx, or music.

After this we will assign everyone to a job, each person will be assigned only one thing at a time, no doing both programming, gfx and music at the same time. So if you complete your job then you can do something else.

I think we need a timeframe to decide on an idea? how about the next 3 days?

So are yas ready? does everyone agree with this plan?

another edit
I myself could possibly do code, gfx or music.

cyas

PokeParadox said:
Kagato said:
1.) 8 weeks is nowhere near enough time to produce a launch title that would be worthy of the name. I think the best approach is to focus on a port of a really good open source game that's never been seen on a handheld before. (Sauerbraten is probably a good candidate, if it can be made to run.)
All I can say is, that even porting an existing game and adapting it into something that is supposed to be unique for Pandora... It's still going to be very tricky...
I wasn't suggesting modifying a port to be unique for the Pandora. I just meant port something that would be unique to the Pandora (in the handheld segment). In marketing terms, rather than trying to create a new first-party title for the Pandora, we aim for an exclusive title instead; something familiar (to at least some people) that shows what the Pandora alone is capable of. (hence my Sauerbraten suggestion. It's a good eye-candy OS game)

Having said that, the Greek mythology game idea is starting to grow on me. It's a single self-contained concept (so shouldn't lead to Pandora Kart, Pandora Fighter, Space Pandora ad nauseum), and the story could fit quite well with the SMC engine.

Instead of a launch title in the traditional sense, it would be more of a "SMC: Pandora Launch Tribute Pack" to commemorate the Pandora making it to market.

ben_monk said:
Maybe instead, for an easier community task, every developer interested could make a comical mini-game, 'Wario-Ware' style, that could be threaded together to make a proper, and easy, community launch game.
There was a discussion of this on the old forum (WarioWare/BishiBashi/WorkTimeFun-style minigame system), and it was agreed it would a be a cool project; we even nutted out the basic structure. What's needed is a core game engine that provides the game framework, resources and a simple API for the minigames to use (maybe Lua); and that needs to be written before the minigames can be started. If one person can get that up and running in the next, say, 6 weeks, that would leave ~2 weeks for other people to write a bunch of minigames.

I can rewrite the original proposal doc in a new thread is anyone's interested. Someone just needs to volunteer for that core development role (sadly, it can't be me right now). If that happens, I promise to personally provide at least 4 minigames to the project at launch. How's that?

hey

Just me again, if I may but in and remind us to try stay on focus.

Please state if you agree with my plan, and state how you would like to contribute (just write something simple like CODE, GFX, MUSIC, TESTING, or CONCEPT, remember this is just so we can assign people to jobs, so don't go into detail).

Thanks

cyas

I like Kagato's idea of writing a game engine and then a bunch of mini games. I would love to contribute to the engine, but I have no idea how helpful I'd be.

I know basic programming concepts and OOP (specifically with Python) and am willing to learn any languages or libraries to make the game engine possible. If someone's willing to guide me through it step by step (like give me general steps and send me links to what I need to learn), I might be able to get it done.

A mini game project would be amazing. there have been things like this before- that newgrounds series, for example. it would be harder, im sure, but still doable.

now, this was obviously coming: if we do end producing a minigame onslaught title, might i reccomend the framework built in whatever language, with scripting in... PYTHON? :lol:

also, I REALLY love systems with unlocakbles, such as the gachapons in warioware: twisted and work time fun, and the unlockable games in warioware.

Sadly I have no graphical, programming or musical abilty so I can't really help out much, sorry Yosh64.

Great! Lots of you like the minigame idea. Are there any offers to make a core engine/ be lead developer and put the minigames in one game? It'd be a hell of a task for someone to organise, but if they could that'd be great. I'll start a new thread looking for volunteers.

Anyone know where Phawx is?

Hey Ben,

I've been lurking :ph34r: Heh. Anyway, I've already started working on Pandora Variant on SMC. I only have a few hours a day to work on it, but I should be able to have at least an hour or two of gameplay by the time Pandora launches.

I would still need SMC ported to pandora though, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I've seen your other thread and I wish you luck! From creating this thread I've decided to largely create the variant on my own. I've looked over everyone's input from this thread and have decided to take this game in the best direction that I could.

Hopefully this will bear fruit, time will tell.

Hey guys.
I'm new here and i just found out about pandora today
I've been reading about it and I found this topic.

I saw you guys were looking for a mascot, so I thought "Why not something simple?"

Stick figure with logo head?

The running one would probably give the most accurate impression even though the guy looks huge

http://flyingyellow.rack111.com/stationary.jpg
http://flyingyellow.rack111.com/siderun.swf

I threw it together in a couple minutes.
Just thought u guys would like to look at it.
o.o

Back