• Workbench

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I chose a Handheld UI.

• Other (Please state)

• Total voters

efegea said:
That said, we don't know what the Pandora will have as window manager, so this discussion is useless :)
I know what WM mine will have; whatever I decide to install on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
efegea said:
Well, the Pandora is not a custom device made only for you, so someone must decide what's the best, not for you but for all the people that will buy the device. If you want another wm, you just can replace it.

That said, we don't know what the Pandora will have as window manager, so this discussion is useless :)
Please don't put words into my keyboard. I did not make any demands for a particular window manager (although I'm rather partial to Rox, it somehow reminds me of OS/2); I merely replied to the claim that exclusive window maximizing (what Matchbox does) is IMO rather stupid.

What I especially don't want, is the situation we have now on the Nokia Itablets, where someone decided we all should run Maemo and it took clever users/developers long, needless hours of work to enable the choice of another working environment.

Karel Jansens said:
What I especially don't want, is the situation we have now on the Nokia Itablets, where someone decided we all should run Maemo and it took clever users/developers long, needless hours of work to enable the choice of another working environment.
I really doubt you have to fear something like that happening with the Pandora. There is no reason that any end user shouldn't have their choice of X or Non-X, or one or many of any number of different window managers, or application launchers. Sure it may take a bit of time for your favorite to materialize, but I'm willing to bet that any strongly backed like candidate maemo, rox, KDE, gnome, or XFCE will appear in short order.

It's been stressed by the developers many times, that your experience with the Pandora will be a very personal one as you bend and shape the device to suit your personal needs and tastes.

No matter what the developers choose at the default. I'd wager large sums of money that well over 50% of people will quickly replace the said defaults with something else.

My advice to everyone is simply this: Don't Panic! If you don't like it when it comes out of the box. You will once you get it online and hit the repositories.

Bumptop FTW!!! ....j/k

@Karel Jansens how does Rox remind you of OS2? i have never used it but rox doesn't look like the screen shots i have seen of OS2

personally OS/2 reminds me of fvwm95 more than rox or prehaps you refer to the filer itself?...

heh i might even hit the repos if i DO like how it looks LOL

Much like rox OS2 was *very* drag and drop centric, if your install didn't come up with a pointing device recognized you were severely screwed and in excruciating pain, it was quite a day when I finally discovered how to hack one to find a mouse after it was installed without it. Edlin where are you now.

cb88 said:
Bumptop FTW!!! ....j/k

@Karel Jansens how does Rox remind you of OS2? i have never used it but rox doesn't look like the screen shots i have seen of OS2

personally OS/2 reminds me of fvwm95 more than rox or prehaps you refer to the filer itself?...
heh i might even hit the repos if i DO like how it looks LOL

If you want a clone of the Workplace Shell (OS/2's main user interface) on Linux, you might try to get DFM running. It is rather old and apparently hasn't been maintained for some time, but short of actually buying and installing eComStation, it's the best way of learning about OS/2' UI.

If you have a really old computer lying around, and a copy of Windows 3.1, you might try to find the Workplace Shell for Windows proggie. It was made by the IBM folks who made the real thing. I once had this running on my HP Omnibook 425, which might tell you how old and decrepit I am.

Rox just reminds me of OS/2; it certainly doesn't have the powerful OOUI the WPS has, but it comes a long way without trying to simply copy it, which always earns credits by me.

Since the UI is going to be custom, is svn repository and a project page on sf.net (or similar) 'on the list'? Also what license will it have? Gpl3 would be nice.

Back