Pandora commercial

The commercial could start by showing all the various consoles, computers, handhelds, etc that the Pandora can emulate then smash them all into what becomes the Pandora!

hahaha - would love to but the video would potentially get pulled by a take down notice for trademark infringement.

I can mention it can emulate etc but can't show the consoles and smash them LOL would be awesome though. I know some ppl on the web have youtube videos of smashing consoles, but they get away with it because they aren't doing it to promote something directly ie. they are not using the brand they are smashing to add value to their product - they are just saying "this console is crap watch me smash it" - where as if i smash them into the pandora it's like saying "the pandora is cool because it's like all these consoles rolled into one" which is adding value through the use of other trademarks

Emulation is legal where i'm from - dumping ur own roms for backup is also legal from where i'm from. so all that stuff is cool and can be shown. this will be mentioned in style.

then will show the best looking home brew stuff - with permission from the authors - which i'm sure they will give.

since i am going for a review style i can show some popular games and talk about the ability to emulate etc but will have to research further to see if this is legally possible without getting pulled.

music i believe needs to be universal and just augment rather than add to the commercial. it also has to be legal.

no rap or metal or any niche music due to the potential to alienate some peeps.

something generic and punchy like the music i used in this promo i did a few weeks back for another project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTURPsv_fq8

thanks guys. any more suggestions?

I say take a cue from american tv commercials..

1. You don't actually show the product. If you do, only in 1/3 second flashes with a loud drum hit.

2. Instead of explaining what the device does just throw up big bold text like "YOU KNOW YOU WANT THIS!".

3. Close with slow motion footage of a scantily clad woman spilling glass of milk down her front.

Blam! Five million units sold.

But seriously, I'm sure you have much more integrity than that. Personally I would just like to see a nice balance between games and applications.

I say take a cue from american tv commercials..

1. You don't actually show the product. If you do, only in 1/3 second flashes with a loud drum hit.

2. Instead of explaining what the device does just throw up big bold text like "YOU KNOW YOU WANT THIS!".

3. Close with slow motion footage of a scantily clad woman spilling glass of milk down her front.

Blam! Five million units sold.

But seriously, I'm sure you have much more integrity than that. Personally I would just like to see a nice balance between games and applications.

define integrity :)

scorpio, I hope you've got this all copied or written down somewhere. Sounds like one EPIC commercial!!! Keep us updated on the progress ok. :)

yeah it will take a while. you will have to give me two months (seriously no pun intended) to do it since it is pro-bono i have to squeeze it around my bread and butter work. don't expect too much that way you will be pleasantly surprised - remember i am working with a $0 budget :)

scorpio, I hope you've got this all copied or written down somewhere. Sounds like one EPIC commercial!!! Keep us updated on the progress ok. :)

yeah it will take a while. you will have to give me two months (seriously no pun intended) to do it since it is pro-bono i have to squeeze it around my bread and butter work. don't expect too much that way you will be pleasantly surprised - remember i am working with a $0 budget :)

I think we should use music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LRLdhFVzqt4?feature=oembed

Can somebody get stuff this awesome?

But this sounds awesome- a Pandora commercial? We could use one.

Also, I'm a (n00bish!) Blender animator, if you need something in 3D, just ask and I will try! Might not succeed, but will try!

$0 budget, but you already have all the equipment, software and etc, right?

I think we should use music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LRLdhFVzqt4?feature=oembed

yep i have all the pro gear :)

Does anybody know the name of the song from EvilDragon's first overview video (back at the 600 units mark)?

Also, Quake 2 might be good. Quake 3 has more polygons, but Quake 2 runs at a better framerate. Take your pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm... no. A commercial/ad for the Pandora that is about nothing but games is a non starter to me.

Recently BlackBerry has been making a similar (in my humble opinion) mistake. They have a great business brand, then call something a "Play" book and advertise it with nothing but games then can't figure out why businesses aren't flocking to it.

I would start by showing the "boring" stuff. Emphasize that it isn't a phone, it isn't a camera, it isn't just a kid's portable game device. It is a computer. Audio track should be something like, "Powerhouse".

Full Windowed OS

FireFox 5 - Check your email from any hot spot.

Audiophile credentials - emphasize the robustness of the audio hardware. This -is- something that no phone can match.

Remena - remote control business tasks.

DosBox

THEN - about 1/2 way through, "Oh, and it can also do this." Switch to speed metal soundtrack.

Rip through recognizable screen shots of 100 or so games in 30 seconds - put a couple of 1/2 second 'action' shots of the nubs and game controls being worked in the mix too.

I almost forgot to explain why...

People -want- to buy it for the games, but they -self justify- it for it's more mundane functions.

^ I tend to agree with the above, simply the Pandora is a small computer with gaming controls, not a game system with a keyboard.

I made this video just for fun a while ago. Perhaps something simple like this?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C3ZTmI9B1B8?feature=oembed

I also like the idea of having the camera slowly panning across a large tower desktop doing something like writing a word document or watching a movie. Then the camera continues to pan past the desktop to a Pandora on the desk doing the exact same thing. Someone then picks up the Pandora, puts it in their pocket, and walks out the door.

Back