Best Strategy Rpg?

Claym99

Website
www.myspace.com
Well, the title says it all. So far, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance wins hands down. But, until I can get playable speeds on a GBA emulator I need something else to play...any suggestions?

Edit: By the way, I've beaten Shining Force I and II and am at the moment playing Bahamut Lagoon

whats that sega rpg, i think its shining force, their pretty good, try that (if i got the name right)

SNES:

FEDA: Emblem of Justice
Fire Emblem (various)
Front Mission

Genesis:

Warsong
King's Bounty

C64/Amiga/ST:

Laser Squad

Phantasy Star IV (which owns, nearly finished it) and chrono trigger are pure rpg's, no strategy rpg's at all.
I only know Shining Force (gamegear or the port for sega cd) though as far as strategy rpg's go.

Claym99 posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:59 PM said:
yah, thats the Genesis RPG... did you not read my entire post? :p

nope :p but another one to try is Tactics Ogre, if you havent already

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to be Zelda: A Link To The Past on the SNES for me.. If you've already finished it, try the Parallel Worlds hack that came out around New Year's Eve, before the Big N hunt it out..

if you liked the shining force games in genesis,

have a try with shining force cd. It seems to run fine with picodrive

Updated post with pictures (note to folks: these are what he means by a Strategy RPG, a la Shining Force/Final Fantasy Tactics).

SNES titles first:

Fire Emblem 4/6/Thracia776

f_fem_d3df0bb.png

Front Mission

f_fmm_8019f13.png

FEDA: Emblem of Justice (note: has been translated to English)

f_fedam_c75be1d.png

Jutei Senki

f_juteim_375e546.png

Hiouden ~ Legend of the Scarlet King

f_hihoudenm_cfb87e1.png

Genesis:

Warsong

f_warsongm_0fa4ed1.png

King's Bounty

f_kbm_e7fe7e2.png

C64/Amiga/ST/ZX/CPC:

Laser Squad

f_lsm_15211dd.jpg

Claym99 posted on Feb 21 2007 at 02:15 AM said:
Do you have a personal favorite?

Probably Front Mission. Love retooling the mechs in the shop between missions :)

Fire Emblem 4 is also really sweet. I played through a fair bit of FEDA in Japanese before it was translated (difficult since I don't know Japanese), and that was great too.

Laser Squad used to be one of my favorite games of all, but I haven't played it in several years. It may seem clunky these days, but damn it's good--plays a lot like the old board game Space Hulk, with overwatch and such.

Note: all of the SNES ones require translation patches -- but since you're playing Bahamut Lagoon you must know how those work :)

GunPei2X posted on Feb 21 2007 at 08:01 AM said:
It may seem clunky these days, but damn it's good--plays a lot like the old board game Space Hulk, with overwatch and such.

I still own one ^_^ It rocks! I'm starting the download ^_^ thanks for advice.

For strategy without the RPG part, I'd recommend the Wars series. I've been playing a lot of famicom wars :)

I'm play Bahamut Lagoon now. It's really good. I'm trying to level up like crazy >__<.

They have some gundam ones for nes or something. Never played, but just wanted to mention it.

I can't believe FFT advance was mentioned and this one never was.... tactics ogre: knight of lodis for GBA.

I couldn't play FFT Advance either on emulator because its too slow on my computer, but tactics ogre worked fine for me. It is an amazing strategy RPG, especially considering half the RPG's people have mentioned so far arent even SRPGs....

Back