Pandora commercial

An ad is a cool idea the world needs to know about this beast of a system. Not sure but is showing off emulators running games copyright infringement. Even if it’s not showing Nintendos mascot in an advert for another system has got too piss off the wrong people. But if not my picks are either resident evil 3 nemesis or tenchu stealth assassins
yes you are right about the copyright. in general you can not, and should not "direct" a copyright image into an ad. this is true of the name of the systems themselves - they are also trademarks. i guess the whole panda concept and emu scene skates on this thin ice in general. GPH did it when they released their system, though they never did mention it's intention. many videos made by panda owners and even the OP team feature trademarked images, logos, characters etc - in all fairness these companies just don't see it as a loss of revenue - if they did they would issue a cease and desist like they did to the SORR peeps. so you desist. LOL

i tend to script ideas and then consider these implications before shooting/editing anything.

i may make a super-charged review of the panda instead of an actual ad - by reviewing the device and it's features I am actually engaged in discourse and can use copyright images/trademarks etc to illustrate my review. generally...it's a fine line.
There are plenty of legally-available games, demos, and so on, that I suspect could be used to exhibit at least some of the emulators. I maintain a list here, if that's of any help.

Also, games-wise, Lugaru might be worth showing off. It was ported to the Pandora recently by Pickle.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is just so much to show about the Pandora, it seems like it would be hard to cram everything into a single ad...

It may be better to have a few ads, each with its own focus and one or two that make general summaries rather than go into any detail.

In general, you want to advertise its main strength which is its overall versatility from a full Linux computer, broad emulation capabilities, and emphasis on the gaming-centric controls layout. There are various target demographics you will want to hit, it would be best to tailor any given ad to a specific demographic such as developers, avid travelers, pocket gamers, retro gamers, etc. Each focused add can also point to a more central website where the other advertisements could also be seen. The undecided person may be swayed once they see all the other stuff it can do too! Bait+hook strategy!

I would try not to focus too much on any specific game or emulator so you don't immediately lose the interest of someone that does not care about that particular thing. It would be fine to show a few splash screens or a second or two of various games to add to the excitement of the ad or hype but I would not feature any one of them in particular.

EvilDragon also works in video editing, my opinion is he should be responsible for pandora commercials, but, as mentioned multiple times before, OPT cant meet current demand, so why look for more?
+orders = +money.

.'. +people

Hopefully anyway. That's the point of Premium, isn't it? If a ten thousand more people suddenly ordered at five hundred pounds a throw, there'd suddenly be million pounds more. Now, if the price was put up to £550, that would be even better; the majority of people would pay that.

[…]the price was put up to £550, that would be even better; the majority of people would pay that.
Not…most of the people would say "I could get a REAL high-end computer for that price!!!!". (yeah, with all the '!' and probably some '1' into it)

A minority of geeks would be interested.

It's almost the price of a macbook (550£ = 901$) and most of the people are already saying that Apple Computers are overpriced.

[…]the price was put up to £550, that would be even better; the majority of people would pay that.
Not…most of the people would say "I could get a REAL high-end computer for that price!!!!". (yeah, with all the '!' and probably some '1' into it)

A minority of geeks would be interested.

It's almost the price of a macbook (550£ = 901$) and most of the people are already saying that Apple Computers are overpriced.
OK, £550 is a bit much, but it was an example. £450, then... £425, even. The point is that if OPT operate more like a business than a homebrew team, they can play Quiddage as much as they like.

Also, remember that you're not getting a large, bulky laptop for that money, you're also paying for miniaturization.

How much does the Pandora cost to make? ~£350?

What I meant is that even at the current premium price, most of the people I know think Pandora is overpriced
sad.gif
(TBH they think my preorder one was overpriced)

They would rather buy a 3DS, an iPhone or the latest Samsung Android phone.

Don't really understand how they can consider paying ±440£ on a phone normal and think the pandora is overpriced
angry.gif

(In Belgium, we don't have reductions when we buy a phone with a 2+ years contract, we always pay the full retail price…)

Sadly, in my list of friends, only the "real" tech savvy geeks are interested into the Pandora.

Don't really understand how they can consider paying ±440£ on a phone normal and think the pandora is overpriced

Its suprising how entrenched the brainwashing is for phones and companies like Apple that sell you something that you really don't need using "really shiney things" and cleaver slogans. They have somehow created a new sense of what is "normal" (because you know ALL of the really cool kids have one!). Most of these people are convinced that what they are paying for is a vastly superior product when what they are really buying into is the illusion.

Can I just say that I'm suprised that nobody was mentioned Perfect Dark for the '64. I never really got into the game myself, but it'd probably appeal to a wider audience than SM64 (which never really shook off the image of being a game for kids) - especially with the popularity of FPSs these days. Also, it runs pretty well.

EDIT: I'm not saying don't include Mario 64 - obviously it's an iconic game that needs to be shown.

Hot damn, Perfect Dark is playable?
Yup. And well. Some of the advanced effects (e.g. radiation blackness) cause it to slow down, and the CamSpy is nearly impossible to use (like on all emulators - some sort of filter issue IIRC), but otherwise it's great.

Its suprising how entrenched the brainwashing is for phones and companies like Apple that sell you something that you really don't need using "really shiney things" and cleaver slogans. They have somehow created a new sense of what is "normal" (because you know ALL of the really cool kids have one!). Most of these people are convinced that what they are paying for is a vastly superior product when what they are really buying into is the illusion.

I get the feeling that if we marketed the Pandora as a tiny PC and didn't mention games people would think £500 was a decent price.

I get the feeling that if we marketed the Pandora as a tiny PC and didn't mention games people would think £500 was a decent price.
The worst (maybe sad would be more appropriate) is that you're, more than probably, right.

More on--topic, I think emulation is interesting to show.

But as others already said, native games would be a must have!

A quick demo of Super Geometry Dust, Panjoust, the games from the homebrew contest, etc. would prove that there are quite a bunch of devs that are actively making new games for this machine.

Lugaru's port seems to be quite impressive too.

But IMO, gaming must be the focal point, because Pandora is more geared towards (and leans closer to) the 'portable gaming console' category.

I agree, however as there are a few windows users still left in the world, I think some file sharing and logging onto windows networks would be benificial. GIGOLO anyone?

My 2 cents

Cheers

Middo

This commercial is going to be 10+ minutes, LOL! :lol:

Pandora has so much to offer you can never cramp that into a few minutes of footage. Or you need to have ten Pandora's on screen at the same time showing different stuff.

Of course, what good is a Pandora commercial without some funky soundtrack: Stacey Q - Two of Hearts.

Back