Pandora 2 specifications and price

Price for Pandora 2? What are you prepared to pay?

• <400€/$500/£320

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • 400€/$500/£320 to 550€/$685/£440

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • >550€/$685/£440

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters

If the P2 is slated for 2013 (as Craig has hinted) then what is the best Tegra chip that will come out in 2013 according to the Tegra Roadmap?

The last time I looked at the Roadmap Logan was the best chip (by Nvidia) coming out in 2013, it's meant to be 50 times faster then a Tegra 2

700 dollars? Someones are out of their minds! The first pandora cost is extremely high for what it is too. It was delayed so long, by the time the thing began shipping cheaper devices with better specs had come out. And it was originally 300, the designers then doubled the price for no reason w/o improvements. I can't see the "P2" ending well. When the devs decide they want more money they'll jump the price up 100% to 1400. All this cost w/o free shipping. No freak'n thanks. Openpandora equals OpenFail. I was excited when they announced the original 6 years ago, but after all the bull shit the original went threw I am highly expecting another bad deal for round 2.

i would suggest you read up a bit before claiming the price was raised without a reason, or claiming that it was without improvements.

If the P2 is slated for 2013 (as Craig has hinted) then what is the best Tegra chip that will come out in 2013 according to the Tegra Roadmap?

The last time I looked at the Roadmap Logan was the best chip (by Nvidia) coming out in 2013, it's meant to be 50 times faster then a Tegra 2

I wouldn't use that to try to estimate it, products have always come out at least a few months later than nVidia projected.

Of course with TI the delays have been even worse...

And I already said this in another thread, but given how much bullshit the Tegra 3 = 10x Tegra 2 claim was I'm going to go on to say that the 50x for Logan claim is probably bullshit too. And it best the bulk of the improvement is surely in the GPU, where other SoCs are going to be grossly ahead of Tegra 2 too. That's great but CPU is going to be much more important in Pandora 2, and I doubt they'll deliver much more than 2x Tegra 3 there.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Craig wants a Tegra, and 8 GB of ram, then waiting till 2014 may be a better idea, in 2014 the Stark will be released with is a 64bit proc and supports up to 8gb of ram.

However i think there will be other 64bit processors out before the tegra Stark is released, so good chance Tegra wont be it, if Craig really wants to start putting out P2's in the last quarter of 2013.

Does anyone know much about the other chip manufactures and there road maps, specifically what they are planning to release in 2013?

If Craig wants a Tegra, and 8 GB of ram, then waiting till 2014 may be a better idea, in 2014 the Stark will be released with is a 64bit proc and supports up to 8gb of ram.

I don't think you got it when I first told you this but those Wikipedia specs are not confirmed by anyone. Hell, I can't even find where the rumors come from, they're completely unsubstantiated (the citations don't fit at all).

However i think there will be other 64bit processors out before the tegra Stark is released, so good chance Tegra wont be it, if Craig really wants to start putting out P2's in the last quarter of 2013.

The odds of there being a 64-bit ARM mobile SoC suitable for devices like Pandora any time in 2013 are very low. ARM Ltd haven't even announced a 64-bit core for licensing. Historically about three years have passed between when ARM first announces a CPU core and the first products using that core are released. For instance Cortex-A8 was announced in 2005 and only saw products in 2008, Cortex-A7 at the end of 2009 and only saw products starting mid-2010, and Cortex-A15 was announced fall 2010 and we don't have products yet.

Yeah, other companies are doing their own 64-bit ARM cores but so far what we know of is Applied Micro's X-Gene which is a server chip nVidia's Project Denver which is going into discrete GPUs first. Apple is allegedly working on one but surely it won't be available for anything but their own devices. Microsoft might even be working on one too but it's the same story with them.

Does anyone know much about the other chip manufactures and there road maps, specifically what they are planning to release in 2013?

Cortex-A15 SoCs.. OMAP5 and Exynos 5, hopefully ST-Ericsson NovaThor A9600 but they have an awful track record of getting products out..

I have had an account here before for a long time, so i don't need to read up on shit. No longer have exe to that email so no recovering my account.

Anyways The only so called improvements was an increase in ram and recently a slight increase to the processor. But even b4 those "improvements", the price was doubled. I don't believe the excuse of the manufacturing cost going up. The devs just wanted more money to line their pockets.

I have had an account here before for a long time, so i don't need to read up on shit. No longer have exe to that email so no recovering my account.

Anyways The only so called improvements was an increase in ram and recently a slight increase to the processor. But even b4 those "improvements", the price was doubled. I don't believe the excuse of the manufacturing cost going up. The devs just wanted more money to line their pockets.

Yeah they are filthy rich and swimming in money /* Sarcasm off.

Why dont you go outside, and enjoy the weather ?

Troll radar at MAXIMUM.

Back semi-on-topic...

I realize there is a limit to what information you can provide us about the Pandora 2. You probably can't even say if it is going to be 32bit or 64bit yet.

Do you have an idea of -when- you'll be able to give us some details? I.e. when you're released to disclose details?

Not really, because we don't want a mess like last time, so we are ignoring all dates and estimations given to us until we have things in our hands.

The iCP went well because of that, the 1Ghz units should do, and I hope Product3 will too.

Saying 2013 is pretty much all I can do.

Sometimes I'm almost baited in to saying more, just to knock down some guesses-as-facts posted by some people, but I won't be persuaded.

Off topic a tad, but is product 3 still on track for a Kickstarter this month?

There are currently not any no-wifi units here. There might be soon. It's not an exact science to find broken units. I recently found a small box of CC units (about 8 boards) which I'll test when I have time.

Ed wrote:

In fact, the production of one Pandora even costs MORE money than what you paid back then...
The investors are no sponsors, they want the money back at some time, so I cannot send all units I have right away to old customers, as I would run out of money pretty fast.

I don't want to be sponsored too much. I've transferred additional 50 Euros for my 330 Euros batch2 preorder. Hope that helps.

A pandora2 that doesn't take 4 more years is definitely worth the 400 - 550 Euros.

A pandora2 that doesn't take 4 more years is definitely worth the 400 - 550 Euros.
Well, but Craig said many times, that it will be around 700$, thats 580€ at the moment.

I really think, that because of Craig, there are more catastrophes to come with Pandora2.

Maybe Ed should do this without him...

Back