Pandora 2 and which OS?

What operating systems would you like to have on Pandora 2?

• I would like Linux running on it.

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • I would like Android running on it.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I wouldn't buy it without Linux support.

Votes: 67 63.2%
  • I wouldn't buy it without Android support.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I like both OSs to be supported.

Votes: 57 53.8%
  • I don't care about the OS.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Please be consistent and only support one OS. I don't like multiboot for running different games/app

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • I want Windows 8, so please lock down the device! I need my M$ spyware on the Pandora!! Besides, I n

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • So what? But Android is spying on me too!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

I would vote for the Ubuntu w/ Android. Best of both worlds and opens up a lot of software. Has OPT e-mailed them (the Ubuntu team working on this) about this as a possibility?

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: As far as I'm aware that goes for Windows too btw :)
Do you have anything to back this one up? I've never actually heard a reported case of Microsoft recording your keys. If you're going to throw accusations out, be prepared to back them up
What are you on about? I was saying that any spyware on a Windows comp is added by other companies NOT Microsoft.

I'd like a full Linux operating system but an Android overlay. With the integration work done by Canonical recently for the Ubuntu phone, this should be a piece of p*ss in no time :)

None of the above. I would prefer FreeBSD/NetBSD but I know that wouldn't happen. I'll deal with Linux. Don't care for Android. Windows? That's funny. As long as I can boot another OS, it really doesn't matter.

What are you on about? I was saying that any spyware on a Windows comp is added by other companies NOT Microsoft.
My apologies. I figured you were following on from the poll option

I must admit I was kind of disappointed to hear that the Ubuntu phone OS was a Ubuntu "wrapper" on top of Android; but I suppose it makes some sense.

The windows 8 version of the pandora should use non-arm chips, problem solved.

/sarcasm

Not forgetting that metro will be awesome on a 5" clamshell!

I had to vote for windows8, just for the poll caption :D

just some thoughts from reading this thread

people are very confused... carrierIQ "spyware" is put deep inside android by the phone carrier, it is not natually inside the OS. Also the monitoring you have to consent to is part of google's addition to android, also installed by the carrier... neither are a part of open source android you build and port to devices. There is no spying or monitoring software build into android open source project or "vanilla android" I welcome anyone to contest that...make sure you supply proof other than your own opinion.

like any other open OS you are vulnerable to maliciousness, only way to prevent that is to close it off like iOS, but if you open up or "jailbreak" your device you are again vulnerable most windows users are less likely to know what they're doing, and is one of the most popular os's in the world that's why it's an easy target for virus coders.

back O/T; my vote is for android + linux. That Android + Ubuntu running parallel looked like the way to go if you ask me. Should be common place about the same time the pandora 2 might come available and if we're running a quad core cortex a15 should be strongly considered as the official OS. If you are a hard core linux only person, you can have it, but also benefit from running android's library inside the Ubuntu environment and have the benefit of a full desktop os and tools and utilities you're used to. win-win

You are welcome to not agree that's the way to go... but there really isn't a downside from what I can tell... unless you are religiously against android for some reason.

but there really isn't a downside from what I can tell... unless you are religiously against android for some reason.
Ahem;

EDIT: Just to add, before this thread really gets going: Let's try to avoid Holy Wars and Religious Issues here, folks. I'm sure someone will pop up to proclaim some stereotype about "Those <insert relevant OS here> people", and it will all end in tears. So let's not go there. ;)

;)

Ok. :lol:

Just wanted to reiterate it to warn folks off of it, haha...

android can be like the official dingoo OS, while we have our dingux. Like the official acekard firmware while we use AKAio, can be the ofw on PSP while we use cfw, can be the iOS while we use jailbreak...android can be that retarded monkey in the background while we play with tiberian tigers...tiberian tigers are awesome....

except, this is supposed to be that one system where you don't have to hack around the firmware to get a proper os

I think that if there is a working Android port, make that official

If there is a working 'normal' Linux port make that official

They are not mutually exclusive!

Possibly begin shipping with whichever is easier to port, then provide an option when/if devs have fiddled around and ported the other.

There's rumbling that Android 5 (Jellybean) will be more desktop/laptop friendly. This is quite a further stretch, but it's possible Android itself will eventually converge into working as a real Linux distro. Pandora 2 is probably not coming out until next year at the earliest so the discussion might be a little premature afterall.

I have a thought if Android (in one form or another) does make it's way to the P2. Make an app similar to sixaxiscontroler that lets you make touch screen profiles. If I am not mistaken, the way it works is something like this: you take a screenshot of the game you want to play, and then you can assign areas of that screen to hardware controls/nubs. It would be a little annoying to have to do this for multiple games, but I would say it is worth it to be able to use the p2's hardware controls instead of touchscreen. Touchscreen controls would be pretty difficult on the pandora without a super strong hinge.

Back